Gaiters?

BritChaser

Fella in our hunting party wore gaiters afield, the kind that are tight to the ankle and calf. I have no experience with them and was wondering if they reduced drag going through cover. They looked like they would.

UPDATE: Thanks for the responses below. Got the brand/vendor from the fellow hunter wearing the gaiters. Expect delivery of a pair in a few days.

Last edited:
Gators? Like in Swamp People ?

Or, like gaiters, which I mostly think of as fancy barn boots? Probably that latter, you're too smart to go out in a flat-bottomed boat with a smelly chicken bait and a .22lr hunting for prehistoric reptiles.

Mostly, I remember them making life easier and much, much, drier.

The tightness at the ankle has your leg lifting the bottam of your foot and reduces the weight on your thighs and calves.

Besides, you'd make them look good. :)

Gators? Like in Swamp People ?

Or, like gaiters, which I mostly think of as fancy barn boots? Probably that latter, you're too smart to go out in a flat-bottomed boat with a smelly chicken bait and a .22lr hunting for prehistoric reptiles.

Mostly, I remember them making life easier and much, much, drier.

The tightness at the ankle has your leg lifting the bottam of your foot and reduces the weight on your thighs and calves.

Besides, you'd make them look good. :)

LMAO. thank you for correcting my word misuse. DOH!!

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with them other than watching Steve Rinella on his show who seems to wear them alot. I think they help keep you dry quick stepping through an ankle deep puddle but they aren't for wading in by any means. Might keep you a bit dryer, but not sure how comfortable they are.

I've used my old Sierra Designs hiking gaiters from the '70s out upland hunting trips for many years. mine are the over the calf length, they button, zip and cinch around the bottom under your boots. I NEVER leave on a hunting trip without them. highly recommend !

I've used my old Sierra Designs hiking gaiters from the '70s out upland hunting trips for many years. mine are the over the calf length, they button, zip and cinch around the bottom under your boots. I NEVER leave on a hunting trip without them. highly recommend !

do they reduce drag from cover?

I know you weren’t asking me, but I suppose they do, especially if you wear wider pants. Mine are also less apt to get snagged on thorns than many of my brush pants.

Really the main benefit is keeping crap out of your boots, be that debris, water or snow.

At 6'2" 250lbs, I should be concerned about drag and being more streamlined! :ROFLMAO: I loved the feeling of them personally. I had Gore Tex ones and talked my nephew into getting the Kenetrek ones. He loves them too! The benefits in snow are tremendous. Previous posts are spot on with water. I have dropped through some ice before and quickly stepped out. They prevented much of the water if not all from getting into my boots. Agree with Mickaroni in the fact that it "keeps the crap out of your boots. I double knot my boot laces and tuck them in but without gaiters I invariably ended up retying my boots as I go through cattails and such. The gaiters prevent that from happening as well. I switched over to FIlson Chaps but really do miss the tight fit at the boot line. In warm weather, I always revert back to gaiters.

Kuiu makes a fantastic gaiter that fits tight to your boot with a shoestring hook. I’ve never considered the fact that I move more quiet through the field but it may be true. Main use for me is keeping stickers and weeds out of the top of my boots, and for that they are a must have out west!

Kuiu makes a fantastic gaiter that fits tight to your boot with a shoestring hook. I’ve never considered the fact that I move more quiet through the field but it may be true. Main use for me is keeping stickers and weeds out of the top of my boots, and for that they are a must have out west!
I’ve been passively eyeing the Kuiu’s. It’d be a pure splurge as my current set of OR Crocodiles have a lot of life left. Barring me leaving them on the back of the truck or something.

They are part of my gear when it's wet or there is snow on the ground. I hunt in blue jeans, so I don't know if they help me move more easily or not, but gaiters help keep my boots/pants dry and that's what matters to me.

As others have said, spend a few more bucks. My wife bought the cheap pair and the strap that goes under the boot ripped when she was putting them on for the first time. I've had mine over a decade with zero issues.

Yes, my over-the calf gaiters do indeed reduce drag, as well as all the other benefits mentioned in this thread. Waist-high thick cover will still slow me down, but from the knee down, I think I have less dragging in the cover. I really only use these anymore ( have gone to LL Bean's jeans with cordura fronts) when its deep snow and I'm in my heavy wool Swedish winter army surplus pants. Good equipment is worth the extra price - my old school Filson field jacket with bi-swing shoulders and Filson game vest will be going strong seemingly forever...Same as my old pair of American-made Danner boots.

I have been using the FL gaiters for years now. Keeps dew and other moisture from climbing up your pant leg and thus getting your socks wet.
I also like the fact I don't get burrs and foxtail sticking to them and it also keeps stuff out of your boot strings.

Back