Gaining Permission

jmnhunter

anyone try gaining permission this year with any luck in SD? I know years past it was almost impossible, just curious if landowners were a little more willing to allow a guy this year with the low numbers of birds/hunters

Actually my opinion with low numbers you have less chance of getting permission

I have never asked permission to hunt private land in SD. I just shot 3 birds in 20 minutes on public land today. On a side note its getting fairly late in the season. I bet permission is easier now than the start of the season. I am not sure bird numbers make a difference.

A couple of land owners said no this year to us because of low numbers. At least that is the reason they used.

I could see both ways, not as many hunters out there this year pestering the farmers and farmers who are cognoscente of the fact that the bird numbers are low, which I've ran across here in MN when asking. only if you could convince them that shooting roosters would actually benefit the low numbers, but that would be a sit at their table with a cup of coffee conversation....

We had 100% success this year asking for permission. We hunted the week after thanksgiving around Armour. Our success rate is high on gaining permission. On the occasion permission is denied, it has been because of low bird numbers (only one year in the last 7), family coming the following week or holding it for family, or another party either already gained permission or it was just hunted. We have a trademark gift we leave with the land owners as a thank you. It is not payment, just a thank you for the opportunity to hunt their land. It makes it easy for the land owner to remember us by our gift as we usually go back to the same farms if conditions look good. Each year we'll add a new farm if we happen to stumble across something that says either "we have to hunt this" or "we actually put eyes on a good number of birds". Not bragging but just saying, now we can pick and choose to hunt what looks best and go their first. These are for the most part small tight communities and word gets around. Be respectful, honest, and carry a good attitude... friendships and roosters will follow. Can't wait to return next year. Until then our 45 day woodcock season will have to suffice. Have a great year, john

Went 1 for 1 on asking for pheasant permission, shot 3 man limit.
went 7 out of 41 or 42 for waterfowl permission this fall. Lots of grumpy farmers not really wanting to be reminded they had standing water in their fields I guess.
2/5 on muzzleloader doe. Tag unfilled, should fill it this weekend on private.
0/3 on antelope rifle. Tag filled on public.

We got burnt this year, had a truck pull up with 2 hunters asking to hunt a specific slough since they shot a bird while road hunting and it went down in that area. About 20 minutes later I went over to see how it was going and found 4 trucks parked on the property with 14 hunters walking the 60 acres. Gave me a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I know most guys are honest but it only takes a few to make it easy to say no to future hunts. SDviking

We got burnt this year, had a truck pull up with 2 hunters asking to hunt a specific slough since they shot a bird while road hunting and it went down in that area. About 20 minutes later I went over to see how it was going and found 4 trucks parked on the property with 14 hunters walking the 60 acres. Gave me a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I know most guys are honest but it only takes a few to make it easy to say no to future hunts. SDviking

we unfortunately, did this to ourselves about 10+ years ago. dad had a friend in SD that had some stuff to hit, full of birds, the guy let us hunt it since it was just 3 of us. then the next time we showed up with 2 pickups full of guys, never got permission back -rightfully so. I've learned a few things the hard way on gaining permission and keeping a respectful relationship with the landowner, need to be 100% transparent!

Dang... I would for sure have a bad taste in my mouth after that too. I wouldn't even think to pull some crap like that. Hard to believe people can look at each other in the eye and do that kinda stuff.

Oh, and SKOL

We had 100% success this year asking for permission. We hunted the week after thanksgiving around Armour. Our success rate is high on gaining permission. On the occasion permission is denied, it has been because of low bird numbers (only one year in the last 7), family coming the following week or holding it for family, or another party either already gained permission or it was just hunted. We have a trademark gift we leave with the land owners as a thank you. It is not payment, just a thank you for the opportunity to hunt their land. It makes it easy for the land owner to remember us by our gift as we usually go back to the same farms if conditions look good. Each year we'll add a new farm if we happen to stumble across something that says either "we have to hunt this" or "we actually put eyes on a good number of birds". Not bragging but just saying, now we can pick and choose to hunt what looks best and go their first. These are for the most part small tight communities and word gets around. Be respectful, honest, and carry a good attitude... friendships and roosters will follow. Can't wait to return next year. Until then our 45 day woodcock season will have to suffice. Have a great year, john
What your saying is, you give these guys at least 100 dollars.

Look poor, act poor, don't bring anybody, don't tell anybody. Don't bullshit a farmer, give them a 6 pack of cheap beer, don't stop by too early, or too late.Noon is a good time.

What your saying is, you give these guys at least 100 dollars.

Trademark gift is a bag of baking pecans from south Carolina. $20 value. Once you bring money into the picture, the picture changes... and I'm not in that picture. I rely on honesty and integrity to get me on to a farm and to get me back. The pecans as I said are a 'thank you' and because it is a unique gift, I am remembered and looked forward to my return with another bag the following year. Good point about not too early and not too late Goosemaster. However, I always seem to miss them in the morning so my early must be different than theirs!

Trademark gift is a bag of baking pecans from south Carolina. $20 value. Once you bring money into the picture, the picture changes... and I'm not in that picture. I rely on honesty and integrity to get me on to a farm and to get me back. The pecans as I said are a 'thank you' and because it is a unique gift, I am remembered and looked forward to my return with another bag the following year. Good point about not too early and not too late Goosemaster. However, I always seem to miss them in the morning so my early must be different than theirs!

I'm surprised they didn't book you for the next year. You can't beat South Carolina pecans(pronounced peecans):p If they want something different offer some boiled peanuts :) if they refuse come through Ohio and i'll take them off your hands :thumbsup:

I'm surprised they didn't book you for the next year. You can't beat South Carolina pecans(pronounced peecans):p If they want something different offer some boiled peanuts :) if they refuse come through Ohio and i'll take them off your hands :thumbsup:

hmm, this has me thinking I should catch some tullibees and smoke them in case I try knocking on doors...:cheers:

I knock on doors a lot, hunt by nyself.ive gotten on some great places, some that usually charge people, but they didn't charge me, because I told them I was restarted, and I looked really poor.I give them a 6 pack of pbr, or old Milwaukee.

I never offer money.I look pathetic, and act retarded, and you know, that works.

I knock on doors a lot, hunt by nyself.ive gotten on some great places, some that usually charge people, but they didn't charge me, because I told them I was restarted, and I looked really poor.I give them a 6 pack of pbr, or old Milwaukee.

Who is this guy?! Why would you play the retarded card?

Back