Ft Pierre National Grasslands

Diehardpheasant

Looking for lodging suggestions or visitor bureaus in or around the Ft Pierre National Grasslands. I am looking to come out the second week of November for some sharptail hunting mixed with some pheasant. I am a DIY hunter and bringing my two dogs. I have been having a difficult time finding accommodations in the Vivian or Presho area. Does anyone have suggestions? I am coming from PA so not real familiar with the sizes of some of these towns. Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

You’re not that far from Pierre/Ft Pierre which is just north of the Grasslands. Plenty of lodging and good eats in the area.

Ft Pierre National Grasslands lodging

Looking for lodging suggestions or visitor bureaus in or around the Ft Pierre National Grasslands. I am looking to come out the second week of November for some sharptail hunting mixed with some pheasant. I am a DIY hunter and bringing my two dogs. I have been having a difficult time finding accommodations in the Vivian or Presho area. Does anyone have suggestions? I am coming from PA so not real familiar with the sizes of some of these towns. Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Hutchin's motel in Presho (605)895-2591 had plenty of rooms the 3rd week of November.They had nice rooms and cafe next door. In Vivian you might want to try Shur Shot Lodge (605)683-6636. I never stay in Vivian, so I know nothing about Shur Shot. Most these small towns have a freeway exit and small motel, cafe and gas station.

budget host in kennebec is great for hunters. Dogs can stay in the room. homemade breakfast every morning and 15 steps to the bar. been staying there for last 7 years. Barb and Kent do a great job.

Here's a better, bring a trailer to Richmond lake located in the grasslands and a place to throw your trash. Primative camping, but they have porta potty's at the site. Right in the middle of the grasslands. Best of all no fee! They also have a fishing lake on site. Several yrs. ago I stayed there four days and hunted. A bucket list goal.. Usually, there are a few others camping. Never saw it overcrowed. Also, no ope fires allowed. Check it out.

Ft. Pierre motel is very nice and clean. Bird cleaning area and freezers. Close to restaurants and DakotaMart for food/drinks/ammo/gear

You’re not that far from Pierre/Ft Pierre which is just north of the Grasslands. Plenty of lodging and good eats in the area.

Thank you for the information

Excellent I will check there and Hutchins

Good suggestion as well. I should be able to find something with all these suggestions. If you see a Pennsylvanian running two pudelpointers stop by and I will buy you a beer

There is another option and that is camping at Richland lake a primative camp site on the grasslands. They have porta potteys, trash cans, but no electric or sewer. Also, there are no open fires allowed. However, there is no charge. If you have a trailer, RV or tent it is the perfect place. Four years ago I left Oklahoma and camped in my tent at Richland, part of which was on my bucket list for 4 days. There are usually other out-of-staters camping, but not overcrowded.

I have stayed at My Place Hotel in Ft Pierre as well. It was clean and had everything I needed. Dogs were allowed which is great. People were friendly. It is a quick drive to the National Grasslands. Good luck out there.

Treat yourself to a steak at Mad Mary’s with the foil potatoes. Bread pudding is the best you will ever eat. Many hotels there in Pierre

This thread peaked my interest in heading the the grasslands for the grouse opener. Has anyone hunted the grasslands for grouse or chickens? How are they? I've never hunted either species so don't know much, it would be an learning experience. Is it worth the 6 hours drive?

Back