Frustrated

BleuBijou

When my GSP points a bird and I nock it down, is it wrong for me to expect my buddies to call off their dogs so my dog can make the retrieve? I would like to reward my dog for all her hard work.I do not send my dog in, unless the other dog is having problems locating the downed bird. Maybe I am a little bit anal.:)

I don't think thats anal, everyone of us wants the dog to get his well earned retrieve. Friends are touchy, or people we hunt with. Best just to say something about rotating dogs in different areas, or ask for what you were describing. If they don't agree on something simple like that I would not hunt with that person anymore till they are willing to be reasonable. Or if you are in a big area, spread out farther. This is the thing that is great about hunting with one person or yourself. Taking turns running dogs is the best solution. And our dogs don't look like they all got ran over by a buss that way either, from too much hunting.They will find birds better if they are rested and fresh each time anyway. And then each can get there retrieves.:thumbsup:

I donâ??t think youâ??re wrong but you may be expecting too much. The simple fact is that most guys donâ??t have the control over their dogs to call them off a retrieve. If they do have control, then by all means explain that the retrieve is your dogâ??s reward for hard work and ask them to allow him his due. If they wonâ??t go for it, you know your hunting w/ a@#holes and can plan your future trips accordingly.

The bottom line is you should set your expectations down before the hunt, preferably before you finalize whoâ??s going. If the other guys agree but donâ??t follow through, youâ??ve got room to call them on it. If they just expect that all dogs will break on every retrieve, (as most guys do), you can talk about how to split up so you can work your dog the way you want.

Multiple Dogs Always = Multiple Retrievers

Calling dogs off a down bird is antithetical to why the dogs are in the field and could impair their retrieve training and instinct, or at least confuse them. I recommend that you just go with the flow. Ain't no big deal. Moreover, when searching for down birds, extra dog noses are a big help. Now, when my dog retrieves another's bird, I immediately deliver that bird to the guy who knocked it down if circumstances permit. That way the shooter knows that the bird is recognized as his and he gets it in his bag right away, a matter of some pride for bird hunters, I believe. I certainly like the heft of well-shot birds in my bag. Also, if I and another hunter shoot at the same time and knock the bird down, I assume the bird is the other guy's, say "nice shot" and see that the bird gets in his bag. Such a practice promotes rather than impairs good will in the field. On the other hand, imposing things on other hunters probably impairs good will.

See what I mean? Itâ??s all about expectations. I spend a huge amount of time/effort training my dogs to Springer field trial standards (which includes steady to wing and shot). The retrieve is my dogâ??s reward for finding, flushing and remaining steady. If your dog steals the retrieve, it robs me of the opportunity to enjoy all the fruits of my labor so it is a big deal to me. Spaniel and retriever handlers place more value on the quality of the retrieve than pointing dog types. We train specifically for a variety of conditions so value the quality of the retrieve almost as much as the find.

As far as extra noses working the same bird, I donâ??t agree that itâ??s always a help, sort of a â??too many cooks in the kitchen thingâ?�. Sometimes they just distract each other, more than once, Iâ??ve seen a dog retrieve the bird and then drop it or have it ripped away but nobody knows what happened to it.

On the other hand, imposing things on other hunters probably impairs good will.

I hear what youâ??re saying above but from my perspective, Iâ??m not â??imposingâ?� on others, I just want to shoot MY birds over MY dog and have him retrieve them w/ out being interfered with. I donâ??t make a big deal of it when somebody shoots my bird or their dog steals my retrieve, I just explain that Iâ??m moving â??over hereâ?� and get away from them. If it comes up, I explain my position. As I said in my earlier post, I recognize that most guys donâ??t have the control over their dogs to keep them from a retrieve. If I choose to hunt w/ them, I know what Iâ??m getting into so I make that decision before I decide to go.

What you need is some distance from the other dogs/hunters. They should have their dogs under control, tho if in close proximity when the bird is shot it becomes more difficult. You do not want a pup to get overly controlled and quash it's desire, but there should be control on any three year old dog.
If you need even more distance, hunt by yourself. :rolleyes:
________
Hr-V

Last edited:
I agree with Uncle Buck, Hunt alone or in a 2 man party. Where you have a half field and so does your partner. That works real well you are almost alone out there. If you need help finding a bird or something like that. We use walkie-talkies to keep in touch. But I like hunting alone, true in some cases it results in less birds, but I am not hunting to put birds in the freezer. I'm hunting for exercise and to enjoy watching the dog work.............Bob

Hunting Alone is the Answer

See what I mean? It’s all about expectations. I spend a huge amount of time/effort training my dogs to Springer field trial standards (which includes steady to wing and shot). The retrieve is my dog’s reward for finding, flushing and remaining steady. If your dog steals the retrieve, it robs me of the opportunity to enjoy all the fruits of my labor so it is a big deal to me. Spaniel and retriever handlers place more value on the quality of the retrieve than pointing dog types. We train specifically for a variety of conditions so value the quality of the retrieve almost as much as the find.

As far as extra noses working the same bird, I don’t agree that it’s always a help, sort of a “too many cooks in the kitchen thing”. Sometimes they just distract each other, more than once, I’ve seen a dog retrieve the bird and then drop it or have it ripped away but nobody knows what happened to it.

I hear what you’re saying above but from my perspective, I’m not “imposing” on others, I just want to shoot MY birds over MY dog and have him retrieve them w/ out being interfered with. I don’t make a big deal of it when somebody shoots my bird or their dog steals my retrieve, I just explain that I’m moving “over here” and get away from them. If it comes up, I explain my position. As I said in my earlier post, I recognize that most guys don’t have the control over their dogs to keep them from a retrieve. If I choose to hunt w/ them, I know what I’m getting into so I make that decision before I decide to go.

I recommend that you hunt by yourself because you have specific expectations for having a hunt that satisfies you. Those expectations likely can only be meant if you are hunting alone -- no other dogs or hunters to detract from your program.

Last edited:
I believe that if you hunt with someone else you have to take what comes with hunting with that person and his dogs. If you don't want to deal with all that comes with that, then like others say, hunt alone. I personally enjoy walking with friends and other hunters, I just have to lower my expectations for the days I choose to do that.

dont sweat it bleu hopefully you will go enough by yourself that your dog will have plenty of retreives i know mine has if someone elses dog retreiveds my dogs point oh well i take it as my dog was a little slow but if another dog is backing i think that the dog backing shoulkd get the reward of retreiving its just up to the guys hunting.chk my next thread kind o related .

Iâ??m not â??imposingâ?� on others, I just want to shoot MY birds over MY dog and have him retrieve them w/ out being interfered with.

I recommend that you hunt by yourself because you have specific expectations for having a hunt that satisfies you. Those expectations likely can only be meant if you are hunting alone -- no other dogs or hunters to detract from your program.

I'm surprised you think it's unreasonable to expect that. It's pretty much the consensus among the group I hunt with regularly.

We think it makes sense for the dog that found the bird to be rewarded by getting the retrieve. It will make him hunt harder for the next one. By the same token, Iâ??ve seen dogs who realize they donâ??t have to work to find their own birds so they donâ??t try very hard. They just wander around until another dog puts one up, then they race in to steal it.

How would you feel about it if every time your dog struck a point, another dog stole it? What's the difference?

I agree with Nimrod, it is just comon sence. And there is no reason people can't have fun with all the dogs and people swaping them in and out once and a while if there is this trouble. You can all still have a great time and get along. Simple solution for simple situations, if someone is so greedy not to try that then don't hunt with them. It's useualy not a big deal if there is a dog per person and you spread out some. But when you have a guy that lets out 6 and you have your one you may be in for a bummer.

Last edited:
I agree with Nimrod, it is just comon sence. And there is no reason people can't have fun with all the dogs and people swaping them in and out once and a while if there is this trouble. You can all still have a great time and get along. Simple solution for simple situations, if someone is so greedy not to try that then don't hunt with them. It's useualy not a big deal if there is a dog per person and you spread out some. But when you have a guy that lets out 6 and you have your one you may be in for a bummer.
lol that would suck springer thats funny if i knew a guy had 6 dogs no thx

What's wrong with setting the ground rules before the hunt and telling your friends that birds your dog finds and points/flushes you would like your dog to retrieve. They should understand. I think it's really critical if you have a young dog that is still learning. To have another dog crash in and retrieve the bird is sending him/her the wrong message.

Hunting is a Social Event

I believe that if you hunt with someone else you have to take what comes with hunting with that person and his dogs. If you don't want to deal with all that comes with that, then like others say, hunt alone. I personally enjoy walking with friends and other hunters, I just have to lower my expectations for the days I choose to do that.

I agree. Hunting is a social event and as with any social event, you have to go along and get along. It's part of the fun and enjoyment.

I guess this all probably depends on who you are hunting with. I don't know of one person that I hunt with that would not be more than willing to honor my request to let my dog retrieve his/her own birds and vice versa. However, I guess if I was hunting with some new people that I didn't know very well I'd just suck it up and go with the flow.

I look at every day in the field, with or without other hunters, as an opportunity to train my dog. Right now my pup needs work on retrieving so having another dog bust in on every retrieve would not be acceptable. So I would set the ground rules prior to the hunt with my hunting partners. It wouldn't be an issue with the guys I hunt with. If it was, I'd be hunting alone which is what I do most of the time anyway.

When it is all said and done, you should only go with those people that have disciplined dogs that can call their dogs off the retreive. If they can't do so you shouldn't hunt with them. If you do hunt with people that can control their dogs, set the rules before going into the field. If you are always going to be suspect that this won't happen, go by yourself so you can work with your dog alone. I do both.....when I want to work with my dog I only invite people that have no dogs, or I go alone. Most of the time, I don't care about what you describe. My dog at least, acts insanely happy and driven whether another dog gets to the bird first or not. I honestly don't think the dogs are keeping tally on how many birds they get to first. They're just happy to be out there with you, doing what they love to do. I don't mean to make light of your situation, but the solution is rather simple. :)

Happy Holidays, and good hunting!

Paul

Well Said

When it is all said and done, you should only go with those people that have disciplined dogs that can call their dogs off the retreive. If they can't do so you shouldn't hunt with them. If you do hunt with people that can control their dogs, set the rules before going into the field. If you are always going to be suspect that this won't happen, go by yourself so you can work with your dog alone. I do both.....when I want to work with my dog I only invite people that have no dogs, or I go alone. Most of the time, I don't care about what you describe. My dog at least, acts insanely happy and driven whether another dog gets to the bird first or not. I honestly don't think the dogs are keeping tally on how many birds they get to first. They're just happy to be out there with you, doing what they love to do. I don't mean to make light of your situation, but the solution is rather simple. :)

Happy Holidays, and good hunting!

Paul

Well said, sir. "Insanely happy" dogs and hunters is my goal. Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting to all!

Last edited:
Back