Free Range Bison...Landowners concerned

None, at least in SD---they killed one just a few miles south of where I live in the Black Hills this spring:(

I wondered where Brucellosis came from. I never suspected that it was cattle that gave it to bison initially at about the time all the homesteading was taking place.:confused:

Brucellosis can cause cattle, elk and bison to abort their pregnancies. The disease was brought to the U.S. by cattle and spread to bison in 1917 when bison were corralled with a herd of cattle in Yellowstone Park.
But do Yellowstone bison pose a threat to Montana cattle? In a 1990 study from Texas A&M [PDF], researchers infected a cow by feeding it brucellosis-tainted material. While it’s been proven in a lab, [B]in the decades since cattle first passed the disease to bison, there’s been no documented case of bison transmitting the disease to cattle outside a laboratory[/B].
Stephany Seay is a spokesperson for the Buffalo Field Campaign, a non-profit group that advocates for allowing bison to roam freely and has strongly criticized Yellowstone National Park’s and the state of Montana’s bison management. “The whole brucellosis argument is simply a theory,” she said. Since most cattle are pastured and fed hay for the winter, they aren’t likely to come in contact with bison, she says. “For buffalo that may be infected with brucellosis, if it was suffering the symptoms, it would miscarry in winter, [when] there’s absolutely no cows on the landscape.”

Elk also carry brucellosis but are allowed to move freely—even though elk were the suspected culprits in each of the cattle brucellosis outbreaks during the past decade, Seay says. A 2009 study published in Yellowstone Science found that elk may be more likely to spread brucellosis to cattle.

Seay believes the talk about brucellosis masks the real reason ranchers want bison managed. “This war on buffalo is about grass,” she said. “Buffalo restoration is viewed by the livestock industry as a threat to cattle ranching.”

Errol Rice, vice president of the Montana Stockgrower’s Association says ranchers just want to ensure the epidemiology of brucellosis is well understood. “Our point of view is not founded upon hate for bison, or to reign supreme on the landscape, or prevent competition for grass,” he said.

The Stockgrowers Association wants to see more brucellosis research, and vaccines developed for bison, Rice said. “Ranchers aren’t really in the position to start talking about potential bison relocation until we get a better handle on the disease situation,” he said.

Keith Aune, who recently retired as Chief of Wildlife Research at Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, said it’s not a question of whether bison can transmit the disease to cattle, but whether it’s likely.

“There’s the probability that an infection occurs, that the infection becomes a fully fledged disease, that the disease becomes an abortion, that the abortion is left behind, that the bacteria will last long enough and some other animal will come along and ingest enough to become infected,” he said. “Think about all those probabilities.”

On the other hand, Aune is about to publish a study that found brucellosis can survive outside a host for up to 90 days, depending on the temperature. Whether that happens often remains to be seen.

Aune believes people sometimes wrongly perceive that wild animals are disease-ridden. “I think the fear from the rancher’s perspective is real, but an artifact of not understanding the whole story,” he said.

But Aune believes caution is in order. “The fact that something hasn’t happened doesn’t make a good case for ‘It can’t happen,’” he said. “We need to work on preventing those conditions from allowing it to happen. That’s where the debate needs to go.”

Last edited:
The Bison that are being relocated from Yellowstone NP are tested, quarantined and tested again for brucellosis. I don't see the risk or why cattle ranchers would worry about it?

I do see Bison competing for the grass on the federal grazing allotments. There is a lot more going on in Montana then just the relocation of YS Bison to the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. The Terry Badlands and Bitter Creek WSA's are also planned areas for Bison relocation. Areas that now have cattle allotments. Ranchers making a living.
I have no trouble seeing the ranchers concern about this.

The Bison that are being relocated from Yellowstone NP are tested, quarantined and tested again for brucellosis. I don't see the risk or why cattle ranchers would worry about it?

I do see Bison competing for the grass on the federal grazing allotments. There is a lot more going on in Montana then just the relocation of YS Bison to the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. The Terry Badlands and Bitter Creek WSA's are also planned areas for Bison relocation. Areas that now have cattle allotments. Ranchers making a living.
I have no trouble seeing the ranchers concern about this.

I agree but they should be honest about what the concern is. If the bison are Brucellosis free when released, they can't spontaneously generate the disease in their population or give something they don't have to cattle. They have to be infected by either diseased cattle or other infected wildlife that are currently allowed to roam freely. If it's really about competition for grazing access, then have that argument but to say it's about a disease that in effect they visited on themselves by infecting wildlife in the past when it's really about continuing to be the primary grazer of the public domain seems disingenuous at best.

I agree but they should be honest about what the concern is. If the bison are Brucellosis free when released, they can't spontaneously generate the disease in their population or give something they don't have to cattle. They have to be infected by either diseased cattle or other infected wildlife that are currently allowed to roam freely. If it's really about competition for grazing access, then have that argument but to say it's about a disease that in effect they visited on themselves by infecting wildlife in the past when it's really about continuing to be the primary grazer of the public domain seems disingenuous at best.

YES!! exactly.:)

As I stated previously, RANCHERS ARE CONCERNED THAT THE GOVERNMENT WILL ALLOW FREE RANGE BISON OVER NORTH EAST MONTANA, IN THE PROCESS THEY WILL TAKE FAMILY FARMS AND RANCHES THAT HAVE BEEN WORKED FOR GENERATIONS. ALSO, IF A WILD HERD IS ESTABLISHED THEY WILL THEN BE CLASSIFIED AS WILDLIFE, INSTEAD OF LIVESTOCK, MEANING THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE TREATED AS PROTECTED SPECIES IF THEY ARE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY, NOT LIVESTOCK! I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST BISON, JUST THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY'S THAT CONTROL THEM.

As I stated previously, RANCHERS ARE CONCERNED THAT THE GOVERNMENT WILL ALLOW FREE RANGE BISON OVER NORTH EAST MONTANA, IN THE PROCESS THEY WILL TAKE FAMILY FARMS AND RANCHES THAT HAVE BEEN WORKED FOR GENERATIONS. ALSO, IF A WILD HERD IS ESTABLISHED THEY WILL THEN BE CLASSIFIED AS WILDLIFE, INSTEAD OF LIVESTOCK, MEANING THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE TREATED AS PROTECTED SPECIES IF THEY ARE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY, NOT LIVESTOCK! I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST BISON, JUST THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY'S THAT CONTROL THEM.

Personally, I understand the concern that something bad will come from something new being interjected into a lifestyle that is in basic equilibrium. Purported radical changes in how things are done is hard to adapt to but as I understand it, this is taking place on a Native American reservation without the intent, or method for that matter, to "take" people's farms and ranches. How can the "taking" occur? The Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution still applies. "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" Again, personally, I would be more concerned about farms, ranches and that way of life disappearing more from oil industry impacts instead of buffalo.

Last edited:
Cal, Folks in MT aren't all that concerned about the Bison going to Indian Reservations, as most reservations in MT have existing herds. The USF&W Sevice the BLM and the MT FW&P are in the planning stage of relocating Bison to Bitter Creek and Terry Badlands both these areas are Wilderness study areas.
Other areas are also being considered.
Bison will be free roaming within these areas. Perimeter fences in most cases are intact. New Bison proof fences would replace the existing perrimeter fences before Bison are released.
Free Range Bison? No, they WILL be fenced. And YES these relocated Bison will be considered Wildlife and Game animals. Hunting will be used as herd control.
MT FW&P's is looking forward to revenue.

Terry Badlands and Bitter Creek are Federal Lands. Both are Badland/grassland type habitat. Some of the largest intact native grasslands in the USA. Each are around 50-60 sq miles.
And some of my favorite country, limited wheeled vehicle travel. You can get away from the crowds. I've spent a lot of time tromping around in both areas.:) And I hope will be preserved forever.

The Charles M Russel NWR is another area considered for Bison relocation. This is 1,100,000 acres of public land, not that long ago was all cattle grazing allotments. Now is being managed more for wildlife.
Most of the CMR is also native grassland, river breaks and badlands.

more news on land closure

Yesterday, August 29, in the Glasgow Courier, an ad appeared:" Notice Due to FWP Management Decisions and Fire Danger the following farms and ranches are CLOSED TO ALL HUNTING" it then list eight farms and ranches in the area that will not allow hunting. Ofcourse, some of this is due to the extreme fire danger in our area right now, but some is due to the decisions the FWP made a few months ago regarding the bison transfer to the Ft. Peck Tribal lands under the cover of darkness. When a public agency acts in such a manner to hide things from the public, one must wonder who they are really serving....

I did not read it online..LOL, I actually get a old fashioned paper. I would tell you that if you plan to hunt Valley and or Phillips counties on private property to call ahead and check with landowner to see if the place is open.

I googled the Courier. Couldn't find information on ranches closed to hunting.

Something very significant to the Valley/Phillips County area and the whole country for that matter is that The American Prairie Reserve has purchased 150,000 acres of the Page Whitham Ranch to add to the 123,000 acres all ready under their control. The vast majority of this land is Federal BLM public land. Cattle will be replace by Bison. Cattle ranching is big in that area but will be fazed out.
Hunting is now allowed under the Block Management Program.
The fear is, that this area is destined to be a National Park. There is NO hunting on national parks.

Steve Page had a letter to the community in the Courier and stated they will have a 15 year lease for the place to remain a cattle ranch and an option after that period. However he stated that the handwriting is on the wall as far as redesignating federal lands in the area, which comprise most of the ranch holdings in that area.
Montanas like myself in this area are not thinking this area will be a National Park, not sure where you heard this. We are worried it will be remade into a National Monument area like the Missouri Breaks country north of Winifred. Former Pres. Clinton did this as one of the last things he did while in office.
As to why you can not find the closed ranches on the couriers sight I am not sure, try KLTZ's website, the radio station here in town. I was just letting guys know they should check with landowners before coming this way, especially if you are from out of the area.

No question Eastern MT is very dry. I can remember only a few times in the last 30-40 years that there weren't fire warnings. No outside smoking, no fires, 2 tracks gated and walk in only. If the weather doesn't change no doubt there will be closed areas.
Everyone needs to be very careful.
Sounds like the weather is going to be better this week, highs in the 70's.

I'm neither for or against what the American Prairie is doing. I've been on the email list since the beginning and follow it closely. All the millions of dollars that are going into this are mostly from wealthy evironmentalists throughout the world. Most are for a natural ecosystem where large predators should be introduced to maintain game populations. The only reason this isn't being done already is the BLM owns so much of the land, their responsibility is keeping the public land "multi use" including hunting.
APR is not by choice allowing hunting, so far they are forced to.
It's down the road a ways, but with a supporting administration, it WILL someday become a national Park.

My goodness! I really hope I can sell my house soon so I can move back home to Alaska. Montana has been my Lower 48 refuge and now it seems as if it's going the way of Kalifornia and Lefternwashington

My goodness! I really hope I can sell my house soon so I can move back home to Alaska. Montana has been my Lower 48 refuge and now it seems as if it's going the way of Kalifornia and Lefternwashington

I have a buddy who lives in Alaska. He was going to move to Montana, but did not due to the reason you've mentioned. I can't imagine how he would deal with living in IL.:eek: lol

The following ad appeared in the Sept. 26 edition of the Glasgow Courier:

Since our ranch/farm operations would not survivewith wild, free-ranging bison/buffalo, the undersigned Valley County landowners are closing our land to hunting until MFWP drops its plan to release them in Montana.

We hope our hunter friends will understand and assist our efforts to protect our livelihoods and communities.

Signed, L.L. Roberton, Bill Risa, Randy Edwards, Buster Stuber, Les Redfield, Patricia Fauth, Arlo Bill Westby, George Asleson, Kipp Shumway, Janet Bailey, Samuel Gundermann, Bruce Floyd, Tony Gundermann, Steven Schuster, James Pankratz.

Their are eight others who have closed their land awhile back also due to fire danger and FWP management concerns Fast Farms, Bub Edwards, Randy Edwards, Northern Lites ranch, Todd Westby, Renner Farms, Erik Forum Farms, Ken Greenwood.

There are millions of miles of fences in MT where do these landowners think the Bison will roam "free range":confused:
Even those Buffalo in the APR with all their acres will NEVER free range.

In addition to what mnmthunting said about the buffalo being fenced, ranchers who depend on grazing allotments need to remember that they've chosen to depend on an undependable resource that's theirs to use for a limited time with any renewal always having the potential for denial. Too often it seems these temporary leases are looked upon by them as if they own the land or have the right in perpetuity.
It's odd that the fire on Fort Peck that resulted in the closure of pheasant season just happened to start upwind of the buffalo enclosure and ended up destroying the whole electric fenced pasture and fence and kill 10 if the 81 buffalo on the reservation.

Back