Found GSP SW of Dickinson ND

Labs

On my way home from work this afternoon I came across a lost neutered male GSP on 116th Ave SW, about 5 miles south of HW 10, south of Dickinson ND. Orange collar, no tags or name plate. If youIMG_20201110_135340601_HDR.jpgIMG_20201110_135458775_HDR.jpg are missing this guy, message me. I'll check with the vets in town too.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_135656699.jpg
    IMG_20201110_135656699.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201110_135701241.jpg
    IMG_20201110_135701241.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Might want to check and see if it's chipped. You might even be able to feel it with your hand. On our dogs its in the shoulder area.

Found his owner and got him home. His name is Tank and he's a good boy...

Last edited:
On behalf of hunting dog owners everywhere, I'd like to say (and part of me is truly sorry for this):rolleyes:

"Tanks for relocating dog and owner."
Insert rimshot here...

Great job Labs. I still fail to understand why people don't put a name tag/plate on the dogs collar with their name and phone number.
Thanks. Concur, and get them chipped too...

When we were just out hunting, we took our dogs collars off. We felt that the tags made too much noise, dangling around. They are chipped and they still had their e-collars on. We will rivet I'd tags on their e-collars if we go again. So I see how it happens. We have good control of our dogs, (They listen to us, they are trained to.) but if you didn't I can see how it could happen.

When we were just out hunting, we took our dogs collars off. We felt that the tags made too much noise, dangling around. They are chipped and they still had their e-collars on. We will rivet I'd tags on their e-collars if we go again. So I see how it happens. We have good control of our dogs, (They listen to us, they are trained to.) but if you didn't I can see how it could happen.
You can get the tags that are attached to the collar and it makes no noise at all.

I didn't know Tank's name but he responded to basic commands, Here, Sit, Kennel, ect. The area where I found him very often has pheasants on the road & in the ditch, I suspect he just got a noseful of birds scent and just couldn't resist going after them. Damn lucky he didn't get hit on the road.

Can happen to the best of them, Dan O. I used to live NE of Devils Lake, an area that gets a ton of NR waterfowl hunters each Fall. It was not at all uncommon to see a strange and obviously lost lab or chessie, often with an e-collar and/or vest, running out in the fields around my farmstead. I reported every one I ever saw, but never got a single one to come to me.

A closer to home example... My labs are finished and trained to respond to vocal, whistle, and silent hand signal commands (not just 3 hand casting), but back in October I was hunting solo mission with the Wrecking Crew on a PLOTS and darned near lost one. This particular piece has heavy cover, much of it higher than a dog's head. The Crew flushed a rooster which I hit, it sailed over a hill about 50 yards ahead with all three in hot pursuit. It looked like a routine cripple retrieve and walked up the hill expecting to see them with the bird. I was surprised to find they were nowhere in sight. Found Harley & Jetta down the bank by the river about 100 yards away and they returned as soon as I called them in. Boogie was nowhere to be found. I started whistling & paging her, no joy. Not long after I saw birds across the river a good half mile away flushing, and I strongly suspected Boog had followed the sailing cripple across the the river then lost sight of it and just kept going on the line, flushing birds as she went.

I kept going to the property line, whistling and paging to no avail. I then headed back to the truck a mile away. As I got to within a quarter mile, I saw Boogie running toward the truck from the cross road at the property corner a half mile SW of me. She had apparently gone all the way to the east side of the PLOTS and was flushing the birds I saw, then ran south along the fence to the SE parking area, which she knew as we hunt this spot fairly often. Not finding us or the truck, she then ran a mile west on the road, and from the crossroads saw the truck parked a half mile north and ran to it. When I got to within 200 yards or so, Boogie heard my whistle then saw us, and immediately responded. Clearly she got herself so far out she couldn't hear the whistle, and no doubt felt the collar paging but couldn't see me because the cover was so thick & didn't know where to come back to.

Last edited:
Yep, dogs do the darndest things. Just when you think you got them figured out, bam they do something unexpected.

I have no affiliation with this company, but have used their products and their advice is sound:

Put YOUR name on your dog, not your DOG'S name on his collar​

Great outcome. My dogs all have collars with name plates with mine and my wife's cell phone number. Even the electronic collar.

Yep, dogs do the darndest things. Just when you think you got them figured out, bam they do something unexpected.
Boogie is a good hunter & outstanding retriever, but she has the attention span of a ferret on a double espresso. She is the one member of the Wrecking Crew that I figured would sooner or later pull this, but she's my wife's project dog and the first she finished herself. I say she's a weirdo airhead, Toni insists she is just a unique free spirit...

Had another black female pull this, the late great Gabriella's Dakota Sunshine (Sunny), so named for her outgoing, ever happy personality. Sunny was also an excellent hunter who loved to hunt geese & ducks, but lived to hunt upland. She was about 14 months old when we were driving around the farmstead on prairie trails at slow speed just casually scouting, and a covey of Huns flushed in front of us and bombed into the cornfield right next to the trail. Sunny & Josie were in the back and I had the windows down for them. Josie being older sat tight, but in an instant Sunny bailed out the open window and disappeared into the corn in hot pursuit.

It was a huge field of crop, well over my head, and the ground was too dry to track her. All we could do was try to recall her by voice and whistle. Whether she was ignoring us or too far away to hear I'll never know, but it was nearly an hour and a half later when she came back out. Must have scared her, as she never took off like that again for the rest of her life...

Last edited:
I’ve never truly “lost” a dog in the field. Never had to quit hunting and search for a dog. I’ve had a couple of instances of AWOL for longer than I like though.

Being pretty far down the backside of the age hill I just decided to get a Garmin GPS collar after I got back from SD this year. I’m slower now in catching up and I don’t need the stress of wondering just where in this section of standing corn that dog got to.

This because I took my son’s dog this year and “come to the whistle”is something that needs a little work. She’s a really good pointing Lab and she’ll get that work after I get permission to have her live with me a while.

No way I could come home and tell the grandkids I lost their dog.

So I took the plunge. Will try it out in KS this year. It’s back ordered right now.

I’ve never truly “lost” a dog in the field. Never had to quit hunting and search for a dog. I’ve had a couple of instances of AWOL for longer than I like though.

Being pretty far down the backside of the age hill I just decided to get a Garmin GPS collar after I got back from SD this year. I’m slower now in catching up and I don’t need the stress of wondering just where in this section of standing corn that dog got to.

This because I took my son’s dog this year and “come to the whistle”is something that needs a little work. She’s a really good pointing Lab and she’ll get that work after I get permission to have her live with me a while.

No way I could come home and tell the grandkids I lost their dog.

So I took the plunge. Will try it out in KS this year. It’s back ordered right now.
I also added a Garmin with two collars this year for the GPS function. Have never lost a bird dog but last winter my step dad asked me why I didn’t have a GPS collar just in see I ever needed it. I didn’t have a good answer so figured that probably meant I should have one. Used it late last winter guiding on the preserve and this spring while shed hunting as I let the dogs roam way farther doing that. Was nice to be able to look down and see where they were. Just returning from SD and never had to use it to locate a dog but I’ll admit made me feel better knowing I could if needed.

Back