Forecast is out

One big variable we as humans have no control over is those weather elements. One thing that can counter the weather elements is more acres of habitat to minimize population losses . Also the quality of this habitat will help so much; open understory, closed overstroy, forbs that bloom over an extended period to attract those needed insects. My habitat can handle a lot of the weather variables, except that terrible four year drought we went through. fortunately there were survivors going into a couple good years that have brought the numbers(mainly quail) back from the brink of extinction. Bottom line I support more acres of CRP and better CRP.

Must be reading a different forecast. Doesn't seem too bad to me. I know where I'll be come November.

I talked to couple of my uncles today and for the most part the hail was north of them. They haven't seen decent rain since the 20th of june. Pheasants and hatch are pretty close to what they saw last year.

I've heard so many different theories over the years on why numbers aren't what they were pre 2011 in Kansas. Habitat loss and weather are by far the biggest two factors in bird numbers but are we really not going to go because numbers aren't what they were in the past??? I go hunting weather numbers are up or down every year and I always enjoy myself. Also haven't been skunked on a day pheasant hunting in over a decade of hunting walk ins. I haven't responded to much on this site in a while because there are so many "Debbie Downers" on here. Good luck this year everyone that actually likes to hunt instead of shooting fish in a barrel.

I've heard so many different theories over the years on why numbers aren't what they were pre 2011 in Kansas. Habitat loss and weather are by far the biggest two factors in bird numbers but are we really not going to go because numbers aren't what they were in the past??? I go hunting weather numbers are up or down every year and I always enjoy myself. Also haven't been skunked on a day pheasant hunting in over a decade of hunting walk ins. I haven't responded to much on this site in a while because there are so many "Debbie Downers" on here. Good luck this year everyone that actually likes to hunt instead of shooting fish in a barrel.

No one will have their dogs in the field more than this "Debbie Downer" this year or any other year. I will find a way to shoot 50 or more roosters just like I do ever season. I live in the middle of rooster country and have been hunting WIHA since it first started. Been skunked a few times. If you hunt WIHA, you're going to get skunked on occasion. Even with my dogs.

Damn West, that almost sounded positive! I like it!

All I can do is tell the truth. If that is mistaken as being "negative" it is only because some people refuse to accept reality. I tell it like it is. I told you all in the spring and early summer what the hatch would be. Was I right? Yep! That doesn't mean I won't have my dogs out every day possible. I refuse to leave this world knowing that I did not hunt at every opportunity possible and I won't let my feet touch the ground til they put me in a pine box.

Havent been up there since 2009 but will be there this year. If I see any quail I'll run em your way.

Man ,what id give to have never been skunked one day. my skunk / kill ratio out there is 70/30. Still love it though!!

I rarely gey skunked in either... but my definition is when i dont get a shot i should have hit. : ) im a terrible shot when i get too excited, so figure i cant blame that on the walk in. :)

Back