Forced Fetch/Trained Retrieve questions

get'EM'up

I am kicking around the idea of having my 3 1/2 year old GSP FF/TR trained (to be honest I'm a bit scared of the idea). She hunts birds amazingly, and I don't want to accidently mess up her hunting ability. This season there might have been maybe 5 birds (out of 100 or better) she did lock-up for. She does not love to retrieve dead birds, however. She will play fetch for extended periods of time UNLESS there is something else to "hunt". She did return roughly 25% of the birds downed this year, and will more aggressively retrieve if another dog is present. So mu questions are:

What has been your experience with FF/TR?

Would you recommend it or not, and for all breeds/temperaments of dogs?

If so would you recommend I educate myself on the method or seek out a professional? I think I am a pretty good trainer, but I've read/watched enough suggesting FF is a tough training process and a guy might be better off to not do his own dog. That being said, my pup is like a baby to me, I adore her and I'm pretty sure she's smitten with me too.

If you'd suggest a pro, does anyone know roughly how long it take, how much it cost, and pro in Iowa?

A lot of questions I know, anyone who can handle some or all of them I would be very appreciative!. Happy New Year!

If you have a non-retrieving dog I would highly suggest that you have the dog Force Fetched (Trained Retrieve). I would recommend it for any hunting breed. Nothing better than good retrieving dog. My personal recommendation would be to have the dog professionally trained. I think it's a tough project to take on if you are not skilled in doing it. I've tried, and I failed. Depending on the dog it will probably take 1-2 months. From what I've seen most trainers will charge $600-800 per month. That may or may not include birds. Sorry but I can't help you with a good trainer in Iowa but I'm sure there are others on this site that can. Good luck.

I myself prefer dogs that are force fetched. I have 3 finished GSPs right now, 2 with Master Hunter titles and 1 with a Senior Hunter title. They all retrieve to hand, however only 1 was force fetched. My experience with my dogs and seeing numerous others is in the desire and cleanliness of the retrieve of a properly force fetched dog. I'd recommend having it done. Not sure where in Iowa you are, but 2 trainers in Iowa that I would suggest are Jason Goslinga at Pro Shot Gun Dogs near New Albin or Jeff Chapman at Countryside Gun Dogs near Center Point. You would have to talk to them, but I think both are right around $700/month.

I myself prefer dogs that are force fetched. I have 3 finished GSPs right now, 2 with Master Hunter titles and 1 with a Senior Hunter title. They all retrieve to hand, however only 1 was force fetched. My experience with my dogs and seeing numerous others is in the desire and cleanliness of the retrieve of a properly force fetched dog. I'd recommend having it done. Not sure where in Iowa you are, but 2 trainers in Iowa that I would suggest are Jason Goslinga at Pro Shot Gun Dogs near New Albin or Jeff Chapman at Countryside Gun Dogs near Center Point. You would have to talk to them, but I think both are right around $700/month.

Thanks for the information!

I mentioned my experience of FF to you before. But one thing I failed to mention (because I learned more in this post) is that my pointer and your dog were pretty similar. Mine would retrieve balls and bumpers all day (although dropping them near me) but she would not retrieve in the bird field, but would rather begin hunting. And she was unsure about dead birds as retrieval objects in the yard. So the desire was there, and the instinct. Now she retrieves birds to hand every time. She is also a soft dog and when I look at her wrong she shows signs of submission.

FF is done away from the field and with unfamiliar objects (paint roller or FF buck) so any problems that may arise are unlikely to be associated with hunting, and therefore not screwing the dog up. I believe FF can be done by amateurs who are patient and skillful with the timing of praise and correction, and can read their dogs well. I also know that it is not for everyone so pros can be very helpful. That is up for you to decide.

As a side note, I did not need to FF my spaniel but I did anyone because it provides a cleaner, polished retrieve, and the side benefit is she learned how better to respond to pressure.

I mentioned my experience of FF to you before. But one thing I failed to mention (because I learned more in this post) is that my pointer and your dog were pretty similar. Mine would retrieve balls and bumpers all day (although dropping them near me) but she would not retrieve in the bird field, but would rather begin hunting. And she was unsure about dead birds as retrieval objects in the yard. So the desire was there, and the instinct. Now she retrieves birds to hand every time. She is also a soft dog and when I look at her wrong she shows signs of submission.

FF is done away from the field and with unfamiliar objects (paint roller or FF buck) so any problems that may arise are unlikely to be associated with hunting, and therefore not screwing the dog up. I believe FF can be done by amateurs who are patient and skillful with the timing of praise and correction, and can read their dogs well. I also know that it is not for everyone so pros can be very helpful. That is up for you to decide.

As a side note, I did not need to FF my spaniel but I did anyone because it provides a cleaner, polished retrieve, and the side benefit is she learned how better to respond to pressure.

This is some really good info. I think I will do a lot more diving into FF methods. If anyone else out there has a well-experienced suggestion on material to check out I'd be thrilled to check it out. Thanks again.

Back