Force Fetch

midwestflush

I have a 2.5 yr old Brittany that has a pretty hard mouth all of the sudden and has never been much for a retrieving dog. I was wondering if there is still time to work on some force fetch training?

There's always time for force fetch. But if you don't mind me asking, what exactly makes you think your dog is hard mouth? Is he puncturing the bird? Crushing bones?

I had a Britt that didn't start to retrieve till she was 3 years old, after that we only lost two birds over her. Some just take time, I have yet to force fetch any of my Britts. My current pup, constantly have a ball, rock, stick or bumper in her mouth when I'm outside, she is obsessed with playing fetch.

I would try and get him/her excited about playing fetch in your yard with a ball or bumper......then progress with a bumper with feathers. To me hard mouth is a different issue from retrieving and like mnaj, what is your definition of hard mouth. I'm in no way a trainer, but this has worked for me....just my 2 cents.

Yeah the first thing she does its rips feathers out when she gets to it and then I've noticed the last few birds were punctured when I was dressing them. But she never punctures when she grabs the feathers, she just kind picks them out quick. I think she punctures it when she tries to move it.

Take the wings off a quail. Use some fencing u-shaped nails and nail them on 2 inch or so 2 by four. Leave the u-shaped nails out a tad, so your dog doesn't bite down. Play fetch. Never touch the dog until it fetches correctly. It will fetch quickly the first time he sees you that day.

Before attempting force fetch, you should tighten up your recall command. If she comes immediately when called she won't have time to rip out feathers.

Have you ever gone through a force fetch program with a dog?

Before attempting force fetch, you should tighten up your recall command. If she comes immediately when called she won't have time to rip out feathers.

Have you ever gone through a force fetch program with a dog?

I agree. Sounds like a month or so of obedience is in order. You can't force fetch until your dog has been through a sound obedience program. If your dog is standing over the bird plucking feathers you have no control over the dog.

IMHO there is no substitute for FF......it accomplishes so much more than a reliable retrieve.....if you can't do it (some people can't) then send the dog to a trainer, you will be glad you did....

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with her. Probably one of the most obedient dogs I've ever been around. She listens so well with all of her commands but when there is a dead bird on the ground its like it all goes out the window. Makes it very frustrating.

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with her. Probably one of the most obedient dogs I've ever been around. She listens so well with all of her commands but when there is a dead bird on the ground its like it all goes out the window. Makes it very frustrating.

Not trying to be insulting or anything but everyone's definition of obedience is different. An obedient dog is under control at all times. For some dog owners all bets are off when the dog goes to the field. That is the purpose of force fetch. Retrieving now becomes a command and you have a tool to reinforce if the dog does not comply. You won't be successful at the trained retrieve if the dog is not under control at your side. You must first teach sit, here, and heal. The dog must be able to perform all obedience and must be able to do so holding a buck, bird, etc. while sitting, healing, and through recall.

First off there is no such thing as some force fetch. Force fetch is all or none.
I agree that you should fix recall first. Most retreive problems are obedience related. A few weeks of obedience might be easier than 6-8 weeks to FF.
If you choose to FF and its your first time see if you can find a mentor. It's not a big deal but an experienced set of eyes is a huge help.
I FF all my dogs as I feel it reaps greater rewards than just a delivery to hand, but I don't believe all dogs need it. It all depends on your goals and expectations.

Well I think you've gotten some pretty good advice here. I would suggest that when you get your recall command perfect, despite the distraction, you complete FF. Like others said, getting pro help or at least a mentor, will be a huge help. Look into Evan Graham's SmartFetch program if you decide to do it on your own.

Good luck!

I am a strong believer that a dog is not a finshed dog until they have been traind to force fetch. Of course some dogs learn this faster than others and don't need much force at all. I have always found starting to play fetch with a pup at an early age helps this process termendously.

Back