For those going hunting out of state

calamari

Gov. Brown signed a law that limits the number of shells you can "import" into the state to 50 rounds. It's my understanding that even if you take the shells out of the state yourself you can't bring more than 50back in. Not a deal for big game i'd guess but for bird hunters it could be. I've had a raft of DFG wardens go through my stuff at the Truckee bug station checking licenses and game. They'll now be checking shells too I guess.
There's ways to avoid the law but that's not what a good citizen does. It's a foolish law that needs amendment to cover what you take with you and what's left when you come back or just exempt 100, 150 or 200 shotgun shells but keep the 50 for all rifle and pistol shells.

There's probably 150 or more various loose shells in my dog box at any time, kind of necessary when you have multiple gauge guns, shot sizes, and shot types for different situations. This law is ridiculous and anyone enforcing it should use discretion but we all know better than that. Think of the headlines, valley man stopped at border with an arsenal of weapons and over 150 shells!:eek:

There's probably 150 or more various loose shells in my dog box at any time
Well that's an interesting way to transport ammo.
The only real problem I have with the limit is having to have both lead and steel to cover all possibilities. I could make it easier and probably should by just using steel but I have 20 plus boxes of lead ammo to use up and when you only shoot maybe 12-14 times at pheasants in a trip out of state, it's hard to use it up.

I guess it probably is but it's just an accumulation throughout the years, it's not like they're in with the dogs lol. I even have a few handfuls of 16ga in there and I don't even own a 16ga.:confused: Whenever someone goes hunting with me I always insist that they don't bring any shells and assure them that I have plenty but low and behold they will show up with two boxes.:D

Gov. Brown signed a law that limits the number of shells you can "import" into the state to 50 rounds. It's my understanding that even if you take the shells out of the state yourself you can't bring more than 50back in. Not a deal for big game i'd guess but for bird hunters it could be. I've had a raft of DFG wardens go through my stuff at the Truckee bug station checking licenses and game. They'll now be checking shells too I guess.
There's ways to avoid the law but that's not what a good citizen does. It's a foolish law that needs amendment to cover what you take with you and what's left when you come back or just exempt 100, 150 or 200 shotgun shells but keep the 50 for all rifle and pistol shells.

Dang , you guys better get together with like minded people and vote in a new governor , you couldn't go to a sporting clays shoot and bring your shells from your home state .

Sorry to hear here about your plight , it would make sense to change the law for shotgun shells .

Dang , you guys better get together with like minded people and vote in a new governor , you couldn't go to a sporting clays shoot and bring your shells from your home state .

Sorry to hear here about your plight , it would make sense to change the law for shotgun shells .

Unfortunately we are a minority in this state now and the majority of people in this state dominated by the urban coast think this law is a good thing. We have a legislature that is hostile and are going to continue to push laws to make it more difficult to own guns and hunt. They have almost no opposition as this has become a one party state whose members have no fear of reelection. Unfortunately, as bad as this Governor is, the next one will probably be worse

Cal do you have a link for that? I just spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for it and all I came up with was 1 writers opinion but nothing concrete. What I did find was an ammo registration clause that takes effect on 1/1/18 and 7/1/19. Most laws signed during the year take effect on 1/1 the following year so even if signed recently wouldn't affect all of this season.

The laws going into effect in 2018 and 2019 regard to background checks for ammunition purchases. Prop 63 this November could confirm or deny that.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the guts of the Senate Bill 1235. Calisdad is right that it doesn't look like it goes into effect this year and it's also murky about the number of shells you can bring into the state. I didn't see any exception for bringing back what you took out so if that is made clear somewhere that would be helpful.
I understand that he signed all this into law in case Prop 63 on the ballot fails then this would be in effect. I don't have the time right now to go through all that Prop 63 includes so if anyone can help to make this clearer that would be good. Everyone should do their own research because it will be our individual responsibility to know the law.
Sorry for the confusion about this but it does/will affect all of us. Other bills are as follows. Some signed some still in process... I think.
Assembly Bills AB 1135, 1511, 1673, 1674, 1695, 2607
Senate Bills SB880, 894,1235, 1446

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1235

Back