(?) for Hunters that Camp while hunting:

KunneKamper

Good Day!
Intro
- I am a 47 year old husband and father of 7
- I've have been a camping since I was 5. (1967 Apache Pop Green Canvas over Gold aluminum box)
- I've been hunting for the past 5 years or so.
- I've spent 18 years as an mechanical engineer in the automobile industry, which, needless to say, at this point and time is not a favorable career.

SOoooo, I have been working a unique "Camper Design" that bridges the gap between tent camping and conventional popup camping. In order for me to finalize my design I need input from hunters that camp like you
Here is a few (?) for Hunters that Camp while hunting:
A) What type of Camping do you do?
(Tent, Popup, Travel Trailer, other-please elaborate)
B) Why do you camp?
Part of the experience, economical, close to the "Action", other
Please explain you answer.
C) What season do you camp most frequently?
D) On average how much time is spent setting up your ONLY your sleeping quarters?
E) How would you rate your sleeping experience while camping?
F) What do you use to improve your sleeping experience?
G) What is the most "excessive" weather that you camped/hunted in?
i.e. Excessive Rain, Wind, Snow, Heat, Cold, Snow.
- H) How did your dwelling handle this situation? Please elaborate

Thank you so much for your time ???

KunneKamper

Good Day!
Intro
- I am a 47 year old husband and father of 7
- I've have been a camping since I was 5. (1967 Apache Pop Green Canvas over Gold aluminum box)
- I've been hunting for the past 5 years or so.
- I've spent 18 years as an mechanical engineer in the automobile industry, which, needless to say, at this point and time is not a favorable career.

SOoooo, I have been working a unique "Camper Design" that bridges the gap between tent camping and conventional popup camping. In order for me to finalize my design I need input from hunters that camp like you
B) Why do you camp?
D) On average how much time is spent setting up your ONLY your sleeping quarters?

Thank you so much for your time ???

KunneKamper

A) All of the above in the past, presently sleep in a 26' bumper pull camper
B) Love everything about the outdoors
C)Spring thru Fall
D)about 4 or 5 minutes
E)Excellent
F)Alcohol and being tired from the joys of being at the lake
G)I have camped in all weather from Tornado's to hail storms to snow.
H) It held up just fine.

A) State Parks, occasional tour out west, fall hunting camping.
B) I camp for hunting because it's cheaper and closer to the action.
C) summer
D) 5 minutes
E) very good
F) warm sleeping bag
G) 60mph winds at the top of a draw that was funneling the wind. Good thing we had 3 guys in the camper because I think one less pound in there and the whole thing would have sailed away with us in it.

I have a Trailmanor pop-up hardsided camper. You might want to take a look at Trailmanor.com.

Good Day!
I need input from hunters that camp like you
B) Why do you camp?
A - tent
B - to get away from people. Nova Scotia has a system of WIlderness Areas where ATVs are forbidden, but hunting/fishing is allowed. By camping in these areas I can enjoy more peace and quiet and a better resource with overall lower hunting/fishing pressure. I also camp to get away from modern conveniences and what I call and "overcivilized" lifestyle. I enjoy the self-sufficiency, simplicity and rustic nature of basic tent camping.
C - April-June and Sept-Nov
D - 5 to 15 minutes depending on terrrain and weather
E - moderate to good
F - thermarest sleeping pad, inflatable pillow, appropriate sleeping bag for temperature conditions
G - excessive rain and and wind are most common recreational camping in Nova Scotia. Excessive wind, cold and nuisance wildlife are most common camping in the Arctic
H - my current tent has a very low fly and numerous lines/attachment points to deal with wind and rain. My Arctic camping tent is a 4-season tent that can be fully closed (no mesh) to retain heat, but otherwise does not provide much shelter against cold temperatures and basically no shelter against nuisance wildlife.

A) What type of Camping do you do? Old Dodge Class B Motorhome that I've rebuilt
B) Why do you camp? Less expensive, enjoy being out in the field, like the solitude, dog likes it.
C) What season do you camp most frequently? Fall - Bird season
D) On average how much time is spent setting up your ONLY your sleeping quarters? 3 minutes
E) How would you rate your sleeping experience while camping? excellent, especially when i have the two dog blanket when it is cold.
F) What do you use to improve your sleeping experience? Another dog
Rain, Wind, Snow

H) How did your dwelling handle this situation? Just fine except when it gets below freezing I do have some condensation issues when equipped with the two dog blanket. I purchased some screen inserts for the front windows so when it is warm i can roll the windows down and increase the airflow thru the van without beeing eaten up by the bugs.

A) If I am by myself I usually sleep in the back of my F-150 either with the canopy on or off.
B) My reasons for camping vary, most often I am by myself on an overnight fishing or hunting trip and I sleep in the pickup because that is all I can afford. During the summer I will take the family and we will camp in a tent and set up a whole camp area so my kids can have room to play, and we will stay for longer.
C) I have done most of my solo camping in the fall and winter, family camping is only during the summer.
D) If I am by myself I throw a matress in the back of the pickup and a pillow and a sleeping bag and my set up is complete. If I am with the family we spend an hour setting up the tent and blowing up matressesand organizing the tent.
E) By myself I usually put in pretty long days and am pretty tired so I crawl in my bag and go right to sleep. With the family my kids are often pretty wound up and keep us up later than I would like.
F) Ilike a matress instead of an inflatable sleeping pad.
G) this has worked fine for many below zero nights steelheading.
H) It works fine for what it is.

Additional thoughts. I often have my boat so I can't tow anything. I looked at a pop-up pickup bed camper, but found them to be pretty expensive for what you get. My pickup is a half ton, a camper plus towing a light boat means weight is an issue. I now have a CPAP machine for sleep apnea It is a small pump that forces air into my nose at night to keep me asleep. I would like a 110 outlet (for plugging in my sleep machine & listening to a radio during the day) that will not drain my main battery in my pickup, I do not take my sleep machine with me when I camp now. I have a portable butane burner to make coffee and to cook on the boat when I am by myself, but my wife likes a kitchen area so she can make a big breakfast when we are camping.

This is what I use now. Pops up in about a minute. I need something that won't limit my adventures in the rough country. This works.
Pic taken a couple weeks ago while out shed antler hunting.
P1010109.jpg

I have put in a good many nights in a sleeping bag on the ground with a tarp thrown over, or a small pick up topper.

I always camp, I feel cheated on my trips if I have to go to town or stay in a motel. I like remote camping well away from the crowds. The pic above was 20 miles from the nearest residence and 70 miles to the nearest pavement. And there ain't no cell phone service.

I love the sounds of the night, seems there are always curious Yotes close by. and lots of other critters.

I spent a night in the back of a pickup while on a late Elk Hunting trip. Early morning I got a little spooked, took off to town, it was 20 below. I'm a tough old guy, but that had me whipped. Never again.

Go to Expedition Portal.com and see hundreds of ways to camp. P.M. me for my setup I am working on now.

Pop up pick up camper, and hard sided pick up camper.I much prefer the hard sided, over the pop up.Much warmer in winter. Motels are nice, I must admit. I do stay at motels a lot.

Used to camp when we go to SD to shoot prairie dogs. Early on (maybe 20 years ago), we ran into high temps in the 100s (mid June, Chamberlain has 109 it think) and high winds (somewhat normal) on our first day. That night, lying in our tents, temps around 90 and now not a puff of wind, my buddy alerts me he sees lighting. Well, we are where we can't be with any rain, so we wait and watch things get closer & closer, finally we decide we have no choice and break-down the benches, tents and what-not, packed-up in the dead of the night and got back out to the road about the time the rain started. We drove to Gregory, found a motel with a vacancy....AC and a shower never felt so good! That was the last time I camped. You have a lot more room when for shooting gear, when you don't have to pack tents and such. Now days we rent a little house, might cost a little more, but we have no restaurant expense or have to wait for them to open for breakfast....a few groceries are cheap.

I camped a couple days in SD and 5 nights in Kansas this winter. Not much to do after dark but sleep. Slept like a baby. I think the lowest was maybe 13. I wouldn’t want to go any lower than that. I’d fire the heater up in the morning before I got out of the sleeping bag to get dressed.

Attachments

• 6AB2DBEA-A616-48A1-AB00-DC1FE5F324E8.jpeg
    6AB2DBEA-A616-48A1-AB00-DC1FE5F324E8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 39
Revived an 11+ yr old thread with a web link. Wow.
Anyway, love camping to be closer to where I want to hunt and bring the dog with no issues.

Used to camp when we go to SD to shoot prairie dogs. Early on (maybe 20 years ago), we ran into high temps in the 100s (mid June, Chamberlain has 109 it think) and high winds (somewhat normal) on our first day. That night, lying in our tents, temps around 90 and now not a puff of wind, my buddy alerts me he sees lighting. Well, we are where we can't be with any rain, so we wait and watch things get closer & closer, finally we decide we have no choice and break-down the benches, tents and what-not, packed-up in the dead of the night and got back out to the road about the time the rain started. We drove to Gregory, found a motel with a vacancy....AC and a shower never felt so good! That was the last time I camped. You have a lot more room when for shooting gear, when you don't have to pack tents and such. Now days we rent a little house, might cost a little more, but we have no restaurant expense or have to wait for them to open for breakfast....a few groceries are cheap.
I don't think camping is all that great, but tent camping sucks.A modern, full sized camper is ok.

I camped a couple days in SD and 5 nights in Kansas this winter. Not much to do after dark but sleep. Slept like a baby. I think the lowest was maybe 13. I wouldn’t want to go any lower than that. I’d fire the heater up in the morning before I got out of the sleeping bag to get dressed.
Try -13.Ive done it in a pop up in January.

13 days in January is impressive! Still have all your toes? Hope them pop-ups have heaters! A bag in a bag for sleeping!
Those pop up pick up campers are light, but they have no insulation. They are not great for deep winter. Anyway yeah, it was 13 below zero.

I am working on a modified pop-up now. I will insulate the floor and put a "gizmo cover" over the sleeping area. I have a double Mr. Buddy heater that I will use. Also thinking about electric blanket, as I have a generator. We are going to boondock a lot. I just don't like sleeping in a parking lot with gravel when I am outdoors, lol There is so much BLM land etc where you can camp with great scenery.

Oh we will also use wool blankets under our bed. I think lots of little things done will keep us comfortable under 30 degree weather.

Last edited:
Back