??? for eveyone

Campbell76

I have a ??? for eveyone. I have noticed in the spring the last couple of year that our farmer either cuts or burns off his crp in the spring or right after hunting season. Now i dont know if hes in the crp program or what. Can a farmer do that if he is in the program? If it were me i wouldnt do that leave the cover alone but i do see why he does to help it grow for next year. By hunting season its tall but half some years like the last couple have been cut for hay.

Most use it to control weeds, trees. Its allowed and encouraged. Some research shows partial burns every other year may benefit wildlife like pheasant and chickens.

Its actually REQUIRED in some of the CRP programs. They have also allowed people to hay CRP in the last few years because of the drought and the shortage of hay otherwise.

Chris

Native warm-season grasses evolved under the influences of fire and grazing. Both are beneficial to those grasses if done correctly. Historically, rangeland burned in all seasons of the year. The primary grass species evolved with their growing points below the surface, which protects them against fire and grazing. The fire keeps woody encroachment at bay and reduces some invasive species of weeds as well. If one were managing for upland game birds, he would strive to maintain a 3-4 year burning rotation burning 1/3-1/4 of their grasslands each year. He/she could maximize their benefits from fire by making those burns smaller, more like the covey territory of quail. The eventual landscape would provide 3-4 successional stages all within travel distance of a covey. That mosaic would provide brood-rearing cover, nesting cover, loafing cover, escape cover, and thermal cover that would all be useable to upland game birds. Fire isn't always good though. Look at the flint hills in Kansas where most of the grass is burned every year. From a prairie chicken's perspective, where do I nest when all is black? Nature is about balance. Man is all about efficiency. Not always compatabile.

Back