Footage from my Final Trip

Nice work, I was out there for the closer as well. Really tough hunting this year. We’re you on private or public?

Attachments

• 7D296227-32CC-4666-BB79-1492CBDBB339.jpeg
    7D296227-32CC-4666-BB79-1492CBDBB339.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 18
I'm glad your are bumping all those hens Kiva. I went out on Friday to avoid the wind like in your video and kicked up five roosters (all out of range of course) and only one hen. Here's to those hens having lots of chicks this spring. Thanks for the cool videos man.

Dag - That's a good looking Shorthair. I have a 2.5 year old male that is really coming around. Always a full tank of Haul Butt!

Brute

Reactions: dag
I'm glad your are bumping all those hens Kiva. I went out on Friday to avoid the wind like in your video and kicked up five roosters (all out of range of course) and only one hen. Here's to those hens having lots of chicks this spring. Thanks for the cool videos man.

Dag - That's a good looking Shorthair. I have a 2.5 year old male that is really coming around. Always a full tank of Haul Butt!

Brute
Thanks, he actually a Braque Francais. He’s almost 4 and has been an incredible bird dog and family dog.

without getting too specific, where have you guys been hunting? I’ve been hunting in the Holyoke area and have really struggled to even see birds.

Brute
Thanks bruteforce!
I have seen quite a few hens this year. For a while I thought my GoPro would only shoot hen footage. lol

Thanks, he actually a Braque Francais. He’s almost 4 and has been an incredible bird dog and family dog.

without getting too specific, where have you guys been hunting? I’ve been hunting in the Holyoke area and have really struggled to even see birds.
Don’t mean to be so general but I have had to travel a ton to find bids this year. I have hunted from Julesberg all the way down to I-70. Birds would show up pockets. No region seemed better than another...just had to find isolated pockets here and there.

Huh,,, I'll have to read into Braque's. I met/ hunted with a gentlemen at a WIA that has a gorgeous Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and that really peaked my interest. I also have a seven year old Lab that is awesome but he doesn't have the gas tank like pointing breeds.

It seems I've been pestering the same little pockets of birds forever but Yuma, kinda, ish. :)

Sorry-I've been away from the forum most of this season. It's sad putting away all the hunting gear after the season. My two labs and I hunted 8 days in SoDak and 11 days in eastern CO. Our last trip was Jan 28, 29, and 30. It sure got windy. But we also had about 5" of almost new snow on Thursday. It's always nice to be able to see tracks-both pheasant and hunter. It makes it easier to tell if someone has just walked through your intended field. The last trip was pretty typical for the CO season-lots of walking, little shooting. I hope you were all practicing to make those few shots count. That last 3 day trip consisted of 4 guys, 5 dogs-GSP, EP, Brittany, and my two labs who alternate fields; 7 birds down with one lost. Our mix was 60/40 private/WIA. According to CPW the Spring heat and drought impacted the hatch and survival of chicks-no bugs to eat.

We did notice more hunters out this year during the week, when we typically hunt (retired). Just like more golfers on the course. The whole Covid thing. Fresh air and exercise is what I guarantee anyone who accompanies me. I did make three new landowner contacts so that was a real plus.

So now it's time to start loading shells for the Spring trap league for my wife and I plus some sporting clays, 5 stand (new course at Golden Gun Club), skeet and a few sporting clay tournaments.
Tom

Back