Fly fishing and pheasant hunting?

Jonjhawk

Hi all. I’m curious about towns or areas where you’re able to fly fish in the summer and chase pheasants during the winter. Been trying to find any and having a tough time

Granted, you can fly fish for a variety of species, but the true, cold stream trout fly fishing in the Black Hills is going to be about as far away from pheasants as you can get in South Dakota. If you're willing to adapt to walleye in the summer and roosters in the fall, you will find your options just about limitless.

There's some spots in Kansas that I've read boast decent fly fishing for trout. Might not be true cold water mountain streams but it's possible there. No personal experience of my own however, just from reading articles in the past.

I have heard area around Decorah Iowa has good fly fishing and birds. I think the local PF chapter even donated a cast and blast trip last year to national PF fundraiser.

Granted, you can fly fish for a variety of species, but the true, cold stream trout fly fishing in the Black Hills is going to be about as far away from pheasants as you can get in South Dakota. If you're willing to adapt to walleye in the summer and roosters in the fall, you will find your options just about limitless.
Walleye, pike, carp.

Back