Flushing Survey Information

steelbull85

Hey guys, I know this may be a little early, but I'm curious to hear more information about the flushing surveys. Is there a website I can go to that would have more information?

If I'm in a good spot in training with my dog I would love to get her out, run some birds, meet some new people, and help a good cause in the process. Is there anything I should expect at one of these events? Typically a lot of people/dogs? Multiple dogs working the same areas? From some of the other threads I've read, it sounds like a great time with great people, so I'm definitely up for hearing more.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard anything yet but we should hear something soon. The survey is a lot of fun and I highly recommend going. There will be a good amount of dogs there but it's really a low key no pressure situation.

The flushing survey info should be coming out in about another month or so.

They tend to group all pointers with pointers and flushers with flushers. There are usualy a good number of dogs in each group and they spread out to cover the area as best they can. If I get word on any of the surveys I will post them on the forum.

The flushing survey info should be coming out in about another month or so.

They tend to group all pointers with pointers and flushers with flushers. There are usualy a good number of dogs in each group and they spread out to cover the area as best they can. If I get word on any of the surveys I will post them on the forum.

How's your winter weather been out that way thus far?

It hasn't been bad. We had a little snow and some cold but nothing like last year. Hopefully we don't get the ice like we did last year.

Hey guys, I know this may be a little early, but I'm curious to hear more information about the flushing surveys. Is there a website I can go to that would have more information?

If I'm in a good spot in training with my dog I would love to get her out, run some birds, meet some new people, and help a good cause in the process. Is there anything I should expect at one of these events? Typically a lot of people/dogs? Multiple dogs working the same areas? From some of the other threads I've read, it sounds like a great time with great people, so I'm definitely up for hearing more.

Thanks in advance!

If you can possibly attend one of these surveys you should do so. You will meet a lot of friendly people with the same interest. They break the groups down into flushing and pointing dog groups. Groups are sent to different farms with team leaders. It is very well run and easy going. The dogs that attend are always at different levels in their traing and skills. I think your pup will benifit from it,no one will judge how your pup performs, it's really a good time. You'll also get to see first hand some WILD born and bred in Pa. Ringnecks, it doesn't get better than that!
I enjoy these Surveys as much as the hunt, maybe more!

I've always wanted to go to one of these, maybe this year. That way I'll know what to expect when I get my pup. I too have been reading some of the old posts, some neat stuff!

Please make sure to post up info when it comes out. I would like to participate if I can tie it into a trip over for work.

Here you go!

2015 Wild Pheasant Flushing Surveys

Hegins-Gratz Valley & the Central Susquehanna Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas

Annual Flushing Surveys gather data on wild pheasants released in Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas.
We appreciate all your help and support! Hopefully, we will have good flushing survey weather this year. J

Volunteers & Bird Dogs Needed!

Please come prepared for ?not-always-easy? walking through tall grass fields and brush and spending time outdoors. Good bird dogs are welcome and essential. Volunteers without dogs are also needed to be ?spotters? along the edges of fields. Spotters are very important!

Registration Required

Please pre-register. We must organize groups ahead of time & be able to contact you in case of a weather cancellation.
Feel free to check in with us if the weather forecast looks bad.

To register, Please email or call: Colleen DeLong cdelong@pa.gov 570-380-0833

Please provide the following information:

1. Name:

2. Email:

3. Phone #:

4. Number of people in your group:

5. Number of dogs:

6. Type of dogs - flushers or pointers:

7. WEEKEND Dates you want to attend in order of preference. Because of the great interest and fewer farms available, you may NOT get all the dates you want. If so, we?ll contact you ahead of time.

8. WEEKDAYS- Do you want to be contacted about possible weekday- small-group flushing surveys in Hegins-Gratz Valley or Central Susquehanna WPRA?

As a courtesy to the landowners who allow us to meet on their land, please don?t bring your dogs out of vehicles at the meeting places.

SURVEY DATES AND TIMES:

(Rain / Snow dates will be announced as needed. In case of bad weather, Check your email or call.)

Date & Time
Locations being Surveyed
Registration Deadline
Meeting Place*

SUNDAY,
Jan 18, 2015

1:00 - 4:00 PM
Hegins & Gratz Valley, Schuylkill and Dauphin counties
Monday, Jan 12, 2015
Wenger Feeds Inc.

8959 Rte 25

Spring Glen, PA 17978

SUNDAY,
Feb 8, 2015

Greenwood Valley, Columbia county
Monday, Feb 2, 2015
Deihl Vault & Precast Co.

1786 State Rt 254 Orangeville, PA 17859

SUNDAY,
Feb 15, 2015

Turbotville area, Northumberland & Montour counties
Monday, Feb 2, 2015
Turbotville National Bank Parking Lot

4710 State Rt. 54 Turbotville, PA 17772

SUNDAY,
Feb 22, 2015

Turbotville area, Northumberland & Montour counties
Monday, Feb 2, 2015
Turbotville National Bank Parking Lot

4710 State Rt. 54 Turbotville, PA 17772

Thank You for your support of Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas!

From her Last week we did some flushing surveys in Franklin county cause we released new birds there last yr. We didn?t advertise that one cause it is only 1 farm and the PF chapter had plenty of people and dogs. We flushed 10 roosters and 20 hens, a very good sample size and sex ratio for the first yr.
See you soon, Colleen

From her Last week we did some flushing surveys in Franklin county cause we released new birds there last yr. We didn?t advertise that one cause it is only 1 farm and the PF chapter had plenty of people and dogs. We flushed 10 roosters and 20 hens, a very good sample size and sex ratio for the first yr.
See you soon, Colleen

Thanks for the info, my E-Mail is not working, so I've been out of touch.

See you soon, Colleen

Thank you for the update on Franklin county. Encouraging to hear.

Received this.

The Wild Pheasant Flushing Survey scheduled for Sunday Jan 18 for Hegins-Gratz Valley is ON. We were watching a possible storm but it looks like that is mostly staying east. It will be warm, so if we get a little shower, it won?t be a big deal.

The groups are full. We?ll see those of you who pre-registered on Sunday!

Thank You!
Colleen

I also pre-registered and recieved the email. Is this meeting spot on Sunday?

SUNDAY,
Jan 18, 2015

Hegins & Gratz Valley, Schuylkill and Dauphin counties
Monday, Jan 12, 2015
Wenger Feeds Inc.

8959 Rte 25

Spring Glen, PA 17978

I saw the Monday the 12th thing there and wasnt sure what that was about.

Good luck guys. I was hoping to make it out to one of these this year, but they are all a little far out of the way for me to make it up from Virginia. Hopefully something will come up closer to the border and I can make it up for one.

Back