Flushers are OUTSTANDING.

bobeyerite

Yesterday I was watching a documentary on TV. They were showing how trained Labs (Black and Yellow) and the Golden Retriever's are being trained to help handicapped people in wheelchairs. These dogs will open all types of doors, drawers, cabinets Pick-up a dropped credit card for example. All sorts of helpful things like that. They even showed where one had been trained to be the EARS for a deaf person. This one could tell the person to answer door, phone. Fire across the street. and stuff like that.

Now for the kicker here. They tested all breeds of dogs and only these 3 breeds did the job the best.

Now Ken, take notice of this; They showed how Springer's because of their keen nose. Are being trained to smell out cancer in humans. They will smell a human with early stages of cancer. They will bump the spot with their nose and step back. If told to find the spot again they will. Here, they said Springer's and working field class Cocker's are the best ones at doing this job. They showed where a dog found breast cancer in a women.

I must say it was very interesting to me. I may be a pointing dog man, but to see Flusher's because of the breeding and train-ability. IN any case it was Hunting Dogs because of their breeding that were used to do the job. Doing something that helps mankind, is outstanding in my book.........Bob

Last edited:
Funny you mention that, I sold a pup to a fella in a wheel chair a few days ago. I was aprehensive at first, so I called Mark Haglin a pro friend of mine, and they have worked with several of those situations and will work with him. So I am letting him have the pup. I am taking him up to them on Saturday to meet. I guess a game farm has 4x4 wheel chairs they use, and he is getting one of his own also. Hope it works out for him.

Q:cheers::thumbsup::10sign: And they can put birds to the guns with style and flare.:D I'd like to see Watson the computer do that.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that, I sold a pup to a fella in a wheel chair a few days ago. I was aprehensive at first, so I called Mark Haglin a pro friend of mine, and they have worked with several of those situations and will work with him. So I am letting him have the pup. I am taking him up to them on Saturday to meet. I guess a game farm has 4x4 wheel chairs they use, and he is getting one of his own also. Hope it works out for him.

FC that is good stuff:cheers::thumbsup:

Very Good Ken, They can say what they want about hunting. But when a bi-product of our sport makes things like this occur. The PITA's and such better look hard at what we are doing for humanity.......Bob

You know I doubted the guy and quite frankly thought he was nuts at first. But he sure was confident. The more I talked with him, the more I think it will work. I just hope a springer will be the right dog. I guess it will involve allot of collar training, which makes perfect sense in a situation like that. Get him a nice dogtra with a buzzer.:thumbsup: I guess if one of my dogs don't work out we can help him find another, and take it back since it will be nicely trained, by people who know. He can pop back and fourth from Brainard to here. It sounds like he wants to train quite a bit. But he really wants a springer. I just hope one of mine gets it done for him the way he needs. There bred to run.

You know I doubted the guy and quite frankly thought he was nuts at first. But he sure was confident. The more I talked with him, the more I think it will work. I just hope a springer will be the right dog. I guess it will involve allot of collar training, which makes perfect sense in a situation like that. Get him a nice dogtra with a buzzer.:thumbsup: I guess if one of my dogs don't work out we can help him find another, and take it back since it will be nicely trained, by people who know. He can pop back and fourth from Brainard to here. It sounds like he wants to train quite a bit. But he really wants a springer. I just hope one of mine gets it done for him the way he needs. There bred to run.

That's really cool Ken. I hope it works out for the guy.
We've been wanting to get Fillmore certified as a Therapy dog, but I'm just not sure if it'll happen until she's MUCH older. Just too much of a busy body. That nose never stops and neither does her wiggle butt. If someone looks her in the eye, it's on - wagging tail and wiggling body until she snuggles up to your legs so you can pet her. ha!

Bob, thanks for sharing this too. Great thread!

That's really cool Ken. I hope it works out for the guy.
We've been wanting to get Fillmore certified as a Therapy dog, but I'm just not sure if it'll happen until she's MUCH older. Just too much of a busy body. That nose never stops and neither does her wiggle butt. If someone looks her in the eye, it's on - wagging tail and wiggling body until she snuggles up to your legs so you can pet her. ha!

Bob, thanks for sharing this too. Great thread!

Yea I doubt he will be discouraged from all the licking he will get on the face.:D

I saw someone using a motorized chair last fall at a preserve. Really worked quite well. Whomever designed these had a great idea.

Back