fishing

jmac

anybody doing any fishing?
i went last weekend to the rim lakes around heber/ overguard areas in arizona. caught a bunch of little rainbows, nothing to bragg about, but had a real good time. saw lots of deer and elk, and a couple of tukeys. how about you all?:)

Went to Devils Lake two weeks ago and caught some wally's and northerns. Some areas you could catch a white bass about every cast. To bad the eye's weren't biting like that.

Heading out west this next weekend in Minnesota to Lake Minnewaska. See if we can catch some largemouth, smallmouth, pike, or walleye. Hopefully the weather cooperates. We've started a mens annual fishing trip, my father and 3 of my brother in laws. Hopefully one day it will be heading to Canada for a fishing trip.

We do a lot of bass and crappie fishing and have done pretty well this year. I caught about a 17in black crappie a couple weeks ago, nice fish I should have taken a picture.

Been stinging the smallies, went up north and did some fishing and caught some dandy Brookies, 14-15 inch class!!!!!:thumbsup:

Labman, good luck. Hope this weather that my state has been getting pounded with doesn't slide up that way.

Major Brook Trout

Been stinging the smallies, went up north and did some fishing and caught some dandy Brookies, 14-15 inch class!!!!!:thumbsup:

Big brookies! Nice!

Spent 5 of the last 8 days on Erie chasing eyes. Biggest one I saw was a little over 9 but a buddy of mine got one that went 13.5 that was released to fight another day. Great fishing right now as you can catch all the 4-5 lb fish you can handle. Saturday we caught close to 50 fish and our biggest five went just over 39 lbs. Unbelievable fishery.

Fished the glacial lakes in SD a couple of times. Not the greatest. All the rain and weather patters have made in tuff. In Aug I am headed to Canada. Can't wait.

Could you recommend any guides out there or places to stay at?

Pheasantaddict - I can do that but some more info would help me. How many people are coming? What time of year are you looking at? Are you wanting to come a catch a bunch of eater fish of 3-5 pounds or looking for that trophy fish? Are you wanting to learn Lake Erie to then fish out of your own boat here with out a guide? know that seems like a lot but there are different recomendations I would offer based on what you are wanting to get out of it and your goals.

I had a buddy fly in from MN last week and told him to not come unless he was prepared to make the 13 hour drive in the future with his boat as he would be spoiled. After the first afternoon he was already trying to figure out a date for a return trip!

Anyone coming this direction let me know and I will help you anyway I can with info.

My buddies parents have a lake house on Horseshoe Chain of Lakes in Minnesota so we're headed up there after Labor Day for a week of hopefully great fishing. Think that we may even squeeze in a round or two of some golf!

Matt D, Probably have 3 people. Spring or early summer, whenever is best time to catch 3-5 lbers. No planer boards. Like to fish with rod in hand to feel fish bite. Like spinners, raps, or jig fishing best. The old man prefers a bottom bouncer and spinner. Like to drift.

Mid April is a great time to jig fish on the reefs and on the beach. That is also when the troll bite starts to pick up. Usually that time of the year the fish are high so planner boards do help so the lures get away from the boat but fish can be caught flatline trolling also. The bouncer bite is not going to much yet that early. That is usually best the end of April and then the month of May is prime time for drifting with bottom bouncers and casting mayfly rigs for walleye. April is also a great time for a head boat trip since fish are close to shore and in close proximity to the Portage River where some of the boats run out of. These usually run $35-$40 per person per day and the typical boat holds 25-40 people. A 6 pack Charter will run between $450-$550 a day for up to 6 people. There are some guys that run smaller group trips for less money(usually $300 range) on smaller boats. A nice trip might be a combo charter and head boat trip to help keep the cost down while getting multiple days on the water. Let me know what you think you are most interested in and I will get you some names.

That time frame is great as the hotels are fairly cheap since it is officially off season yet. Look up Port Clinton chamber for a list of hotels. Two places that cater to the fishermen and have room options for 3-4 guys are the Beach Cliff and Holiday Village on Catawba Island which is just around the corner from Port Clinton. A couple of the more popular head boats run out of the Fishermans Wharf in Port Clinton and there are some hotels right next to there also which are very convenient.

Matt D

leaving for manitoba in the morning. will be my wife and sons first trip to canada. should be lots of fun. will visit an outfitter friend. for some reason my wife doesnt want me taking boys to a bear stand to take pictures. what could possibly go wrong with this? will some one please pick on the coot for me while i'm gone so he doesnt get lonely. i wont have cell phone coverage.

bc

i think we can try to pick on the coot for you while your gone. have fun take pics and share them with us when you can.:)

Matt D, Probably have 3 people. Spring or early summer, whenever is best time to catch 3-5 lbers. No planer boards. Like to fish with rod in hand to feel fish bite. Like spinners, raps, or jig fishing best. The old man prefers a bottom bouncer and spinner. Like to drift.

Pheasant Addict - If you decide to come out make sure you let me know and if possible I will get you out for a day or two over the weekend if my shcedule lines up. I'll warn you though we would probably have to pull some boards at some point as that is my usual game.:)

Matt D

Thanks Matt, I've been looking at different charters on the internet, but haven't come across the large charters that take 25 -35 people out. The small charters seem real reasonible if you had 6 people. Are you going out this weekend?

Back