First Trip to SD

Planning a DYI hunt to SD with my son, trusted and very good Vizsla. Trying to get some advice on regions to focus on for the first timer.
I know that there are many walk in acres in SD and or state game lands to hunt, any recommendations for area is grossly appreciated tp plan our hunt.
Do not expect to hunt till early December

Also will be traveling in an RV so if you are aware of any camping facilities or state park open you'll be my best friend.

Looking forward to a great experience with wild birds, my son and the dog
Thanks for any guidance and happy to talk directly or email as needed

Tom, Peter & Buddy

Best advice is to check out past brood surveys to get an idea of pheasant density in a given area. Cross reference that with available public land. You can safely assume that areas with higher pheasant density will have a higher hunter density. I would also be wary of public land that is hilly, pasture land. I see folks get excited about seeing a lot of public ground in a certain area on the map, only to get there and discover that it would be pretty hard to hide a field mouse, let alone a rooster out there.

When you are going to the spots, check for nearby grains. Again, a public spot surrounded by pasture is not conducive to a strong pheasant population. Barring a major wet period, pretty much all of the crops will be harvested. Pheasants will feed on the waste grains and roost nearby.

More than anything, just hunt and have fun. If you put in the time and trust your dog, I am confident that you will have opportunities to put some birds in the vest.

In december, you should probably focus on areas that have more WPA than WIA, there is generally cattails in those areas. No idea about campgrounds, good luck on your first time in God's country

Thanks all for generous advice. Ill take a look at last years survey plus the Mobridge areas
Any of you guys get east and want to experience offshore tuna fishing would love to share our local outdoors
Tom

Here's my break down a little simplistic but basic principles to add to what they've already posted. You want to be East River. The Missouri river divides the state in half and west river is mostly grassland/cattle and east river is mostly crops which means corn. Pheasants thrive best when eating corn so that's where the numbers are highest. The survive the winter in cattails so getting into normal winter in Dec they are headed in that direction unless it is a mild winter or crops aren't all in and then you'll still find them in grass/shelterbelts next to the crops.

There are three bands of corn ground (and my opinion of bird numbers in those areas): US-12 Webster/Aberdeen/Mobridge (good), US-212 Watertown/Redfield/Gettysburg (better) and I-90 Sioux Falls/Mitchell/Chamberlin (best). Since the birds numbers are best along I-90 corridor, it attracts the most hunters and the public land gets hit often. But there are so many birds they never take them all; it just seems that way once the birds have got smarter due to the hunting pressure. There is more population in those cities to draw local hunters on weekends. They thin out later in the season but a nice weekend in Dec and you will see competition for spots but not as much on weekdays. I would never say stay away due to hunter competition as there are so many birds and late season the number of people out is so low it's not a factor.

Personally, we took the goldilocks approach 40 years ago started with DYI hunting out of Redfield. We don't do a ton of public but spend more time in ditches and two-rut public section line roads between crop fields. By Monday after opening weekend, we rarely see anyone in the public walk in areas, just a few local road hunters out after work from 4-6PM. Our first RV spot back in the day was Have-A-Rest Campground which is a municipal owned spot right in Redfield. On the lake, great for gas, food, supplies, restaurants right there but may not be open past Nov so check first. Fishers Grove is nice but outside of town ways. Haven't ever been to Hofeman's Haven or the Fairgrounds but check them out from here- Redfield Tourism Site.

We'll go about 50-75 miles in any direction from Redfield to find the best bird numbers depending on what the local weather conditions were the past year. I'll be out there opening weekend and let you know what direction we found them.

Start with the GFP Website and look up previous years reports, areas of bird numbers and harvest, hunter pressure, etc. The areas with the highest bird numbers and easiest access will have the most hunters. Easiest access would be anything within a certain area of I-90. Communities with the most hunters would be Sioux Falls, Mitchell, Chamberlain, Pierre, Mobridge, Aberdeen, and a few others. There's also a reason why those areas have hunters that continually come back, there's usually birds. However, you can find birds anywhere depending on how hard you work and a bit of luck. The NE part of the state is more prairie potholes, cattails, sloughs, and less birds - but they are still there. The Missouri River corridor holds birds on both sides of the river and will be some of the best hunting there is, but it is also a lot of valleys and wiley birds that flush ahead. The SC part of the state has started to become my go to, lots of land and weekdays I don't run into much for hunting pressure. The SE part of the state also holds birds.

I like to be productive and not waste my time in areas that don't look birdy. A birdy area to me has a food source in a nearby field - especially a picked a corn field that still has the stocks and not turned over to a black sea yet. A nearby water source. A nearby shelter belt or tree line. A nearby cattail or warm cover area. A nearby prairie or loafing area. Sometimes all of this is found on the same piece of public land. Sometimes the public land has the hunting opportunity for me, the neighboring private land provides some of the other resources that lets me know it should at least be a birdy area. A lot of times if it does not have all or most of those, I skip it.

Read through the rule book and understand what a Right of Way is. Don't overlook ditch hunting. There are some very minimum maintenance roads, that are hardly even roads anymore that can provide great hunting. When walking ditches, again I like to be effecient. I look for good grass that is on both sides of the road so I can walk one side down and the other side back. I want a picked cornfield with stubble on at least one side, not a bare pasture. If it has a lower wet area that has a cattails somewhere along it, there's usually where the birds are. The birds like to run before flying, so keep an eye out for the things that are going to make them stop running and fly - crossroads, narrowing of ditch, etc.

SD birds are smart, especially late season. They are old dogs that have seen all the tricks. Show them new tricks. Park in a different area than others have parked all year. Approach them from the direction that you think others have not (but still play the wind, if you think that helps your dog). Don't slam your car doors when you pull in. Don't sound the horn on your car when you lock it in the parking lot. Don't walk in a straight line, zig zag. Try to use non-verbal cues to your dog or fellow hunter.

I started SD public land in 2009 and through trial and error, lots of learning, and taking notes, I have seen my success rate increase drastically over time. That said, I have had trips where I've hardly gotten bird and had trips where I've gotten a fairly easy limit. In my opinion, any group of 1-3 hunters can reasonably expect to get a limit on SD public land every day. Now everybody has a different definition of what you can reasonably expect - if you get a shot, don't miss, you might not get many other chances when your goal is a limit. Good weather, good dog work, being in the right area at the right time. And hunting hard, go the places where others won't. For me, I'm young and in shape, if that means walking a half mile through marginal cover because I see an area of good cover where out there that I think most people will avoid - I'll go hunt it and usually have success. Look for the "spot within the spot". The endless sea of prairie holds birds, but they often run or flush wild ahead. Look for the spot within that spot that is different somehow - different type of grass, tree line, thickets, brush, water, low area, slough, etc.

I know that it is fun to sleep in in the morning, but don't be afraid to use that (late) 10am start time to scout. Drive around and make a plan for the day. Cross off spots on the map that don't look birdy, circle the areas that do and that you'd like to come back to. I'm all for supporting your local cafe for lunch, but in December the days are short and you want to maximize the time in the field. If you hunt a spot from 10-11:30 or noon, drive to the next town and eat lunch, then get back in the field, before you know it is already 1:30 and you only have 3.5 hours of daylight left. Hunt hard, don't waste time, pack a lunch.

Scouting from sunup to 10 am might be the beat advice in here. Theres little to wonder if youre seeing birds mulling around. Get after it!

Start with the GFP Website and look up previous years reports, areas of bird numbers and harvest, hunter pressure, etc. The areas with the highest bird numbers and easiest access will have the most hunters. Easiest access would be anything within a certain area of I-90. Communities with the most hunters would be Sioux Falls, Mitchell, Chamberlain, Pierre, Mobridge, Aberdeen, and a few others. There's also a reason why those areas have hunters that continually come back, there's usually birds. However, you can find birds anywhere depending on how hard you work and a bit of luck. The NE part of the state is more prairie potholes, cattails, sloughs, and less birds - but they are still there. The Missouri River corridor holds birds on both sides of the river and will be some of the best hunting there is, but it is also a lot of valleys and wiley birds that flush ahead. The SC part of the state has started to become my go to, lots of land and weekdays I don't run into much for hunting pressure. The SE part of the state also holds birds.

I like to be productive and not waste my time in areas that don't look birdy. A birdy area to me has a food source in a nearby field - especially a picked a corn field that still has the stocks and not turned over to a black sea yet. A nearby water source. A nearby shelter belt or tree line. A nearby cattail or warm cover area. A nearby prairie or loafing area. Sometimes all of this is found on the same piece of public land. Sometimes the public land has the hunting opportunity for me, the neighboring private land provides some of the other resources that lets me know it should at least be a birdy area. A lot of times if it does not have all or most of those, I skip it.

Read through the rule book and understand what a Right of Way is. Don't overlook ditch hunting. There are some very minimum maintenance roads, that are hardly even roads anymore that can provide great hunting. When walking ditches, again I like to be effecient. I look for good grass that is on both sides of the road so I can walk one side down and the other side back. I want a picked cornfield with stubble on at least one side, not a bare pasture. If it has a lower wet area that has a cattails somewhere along it, there's usually where the birds are. The birds like to run before flying, so keep an eye out for the things that are going to make them stop running and fly - crossroads, narrowing of ditch, etc.

SD birds are smart, especially late season. They are old dogs that have seen all the tricks. Show them new tricks. Park in a different area than others have parked all year. Approach them from the direction that you think others have not (but still play the wind, if you think that helps your dog). Don't slam your car doors when you pull in. Don't sound the horn on your car when you lock it in the parking lot. Don't walk in a straight line, zig zag. Try to use non-verbal cues to your dog or fellow hunter.

I started SD public land in 2009 and through trial and error, lots of learning, and taking notes, I have seen my success rate increase drastically over time. That said, I have had trips where I've hardly gotten bird and had trips where I've gotten a fairly easy limit. In my opinion, any group of 1-3 hunters can reasonably expect to get a limit on SD public land every day. Now everybody has a different definition of what you can reasonably expect - if you get a shot, don't miss, you might not get many other chances when your goal is a limit. Good weather, good dog work, being in the right area at the right time. And hunting hard, go the places where others won't. For me, I'm young and in shape, if that means walking a half mile through marginal cover because I see an area of good cover where out there that I think most people will avoid - I'll go hunt it and usually have success. Look for the "spot within the spot". The endless sea of prairie holds birds, but they often run or flush wild ahead. Look for the spot within that spot that is different somehow - different type of grass, tree line, thickets, brush, water, low area, slough, etc.

I know that it is fun to sleep in in the morning, but don't be afraid to use that (late) 10am start time to scout. Drive around and make a plan for the day. Cross off spots on the map that don't look birdy, circle the areas that do and that you'd like to come back to. I'm all for supporting your local cafe for lunch, but in December the days are short and you want to maximize the time in the field. If you hunt a spot from 10-11:30 or noon, drive to the next town and eat lunch, then get back in the field, before you know it is already 1:30 and you only have 3.5 hours of daylight left. Hunt hard, don't waste time, pack a lunch.
Spot on and I would highly encourage the scouting piece and eat while driving to the next spot to maximize field time.

in Dec. it might be cold as hell and hard to keep an RV hooked up, let alone finding an RV park that is still open.
Just something to consider.

Tom. Are you pulling a support vehicle with your RV? The RV park at White Lake on I90 has campers in it year round.

Planning a DYI hunt to SD with my son, trusted and very good Vizsla. Trying to get some advice on regions to focus on for the first timer.
I know that there are many walk in acres in SD and or state game lands to hunt, any recommendations for area is grossly appreciated tp plan our hunt.
Do not expect to hunt till early December

Also will be traveling in an RV so if you are aware of any camping facilities or state park open you'll be my best friend.

Looking forward to a great experience with wild birds, my son and the dog
Thanks for any guidance and happy to talk directly or email as needed

Tom, Peter & Buddy
Been pulling-driving-some kind of a rv out there for over twenty five years. Unless you have a tow vehical along you may be seriously limited on the roads you find passable that time of year—may want to take water jugs along in case you get into severe cold weather-And freeze up or drain your tanks-take extra rv anti freeze -you can then use the toilet if necessary- ( remember some years back hunting early Dec. when the temperature—was Minus 27 and that was not the wind chill and it was windy) however it could also be in the 50’s -its S.D.-extra propane as well. If your motor home is diesel be darn sure to make sure you use #1 or add gas o your tank.
‘Keep in mind that if you become stuck have problems help towing ect can be a long long away
With all that said I will be heading out with my camper next week-but have place to stay-elec. Indoor plumbing available will be out for six weeks or longer-
Seriously if I was just going out for a week or so hunt I would definitely motel it jmo
GOOD LUCK

Been pulling-driving-some kind of a rv out there for over twenty five years. Unless you have a tow vehical along you may be seriously limited on the roads you find passable that time of year—may want to take water jugs along in case you get into severe cold weather-And freeze up or drain your tanks-take extra rv anti freeze -you can then use the toilet if necessary- ( remember some years back hunting early Dec. when the temperature—was Minus 27 and that was not the wind chill and it was windy) however it could also be in the 50’s -its S.D.-extra propane as well. If your motor home is diesel be darn sure to make sure you use #1 or add gas o your tank.
‘Keep in mind that if you become stuck have problems help towing ect can be a long long away
With all that said I will be heading out with my camper next week-but have place to stay-elec. Indoor plumbing available will be out for six weeks or longer-
Seriously if I was just going out for a week or so hunt I would definitely motel it jmo
GOOD LUCK

agree, for just a week or so, may end up spending more time keeping the RV going rather than hunting....either way, enjoy.

Back