First Time to SD

colehatch

Three northern MI grouse guys and 2 labs are heading to SD for the first time and are in need of a little information. I'm in no way asking for detailed stuff here just some general knowledge. None of us have ever been there and we're pretty open to where we go. I'd like to stay concentrated in the SE corner of the state but will go further north\west if needed. Being grouse hunters we don't mind working for our birds. We'd like to hunt some public stuff, ditches and maybe knock on a few doors to see if we can get on some public.

My questions are:

1) What region would you go to? We've talked about the Platte area but talking with a property owner over the phone he mentioned it's been pretty wet there (sounds like alot is\has been). I've read about the Tripp area and it sounds decent? Our backup plan is to go to Miller but I'd rather not travel that far north if we dont' have to. We got a tip from a buddy who's hunted the Miller area for years who recommended it.

2) What about a place to stay in an area you might recommend? Do most places allow dogs inside?

3) ONce we get to a specific city\town how do we go about locating public lands? I would assume from some of the guides I've looked at on SD web sites but is there another avenue.

Any help you can provide would be really appreciated. I'd certainly be will to return the favor some day if you happen to travel to northern MI in search of grouse and woodcock.

Thanks,

Jeff

I just got back from our first trip. We had a blast. We hunted alot around Mobridge. Here are my lessons learned/tips for the first time:

1. Stop at a sporting goods shop and get the SD Hunting Atlas provided by the SD Fish and Game, it has all of the public areas listed.

2. Get a SD Atlas & Gazetter by DeLorme, they are invaluable for any state you want to hunt

3. Be mobile, move and explore. Dont over-commit to a spot just cause you saw a bunch of birds fly in there one morning. Thats why you are in SD, because there is birds everywhere. If they are not cooperating, move. Plan on puttin alot of miles on.

4. Take alot of shells. I found 3" #2 shot was working best for me (you will need non-toxic shot on most public areas). Others told me this and I laughed and thought "I am a way better shooter than that. A three bird limit I only need 6, maybe 9 shells." I was wrong, they were right. Take lots of shells.

If you want to know more about the area we were in, I'd be glad to share. Send me an email. (I think you can access my email through my profile?)

When are you headed out there? We may try and go back out in Dec. Good luck!!! Keep your head down and lead em'!

Back