First time questions ????

MAJTSHR06

Thinking of hunting a week in Kansas next year after hunting South Dakota a few times. How would a public hunt compare to a public hunt in SD. (generalizing) bird numbers by comparison? Where is the best part of the state to focus on for Pheasants, and to a lesser degree would their be any opportunity to hunt quail or waterfowl in that area? thx in advance.

There is no comparison at all pheasant hunting wise.

Last edited:
Brit you made me laugh.

But he is right. I hunt both and dearly love KS but the SD pheasant population is at a whole different level than Kansas and even if the numbers get back to a good level in KS there will always be 20 cocks in SD for one on KS.
Both places will offer terrific waterfowl. If your hoping to find quail then central to SE Kansas has always been the stronghold but as I asked about it in a recent post and it looks like the quail recovery numbers may have been a bit overstated. But they are better! Hopefully Central KS will once again offer the chance for bobs in the morning and pheasant after lunch.....aahh the good ol days but on public ground that may be a very optimistic fantasy at least for the next few seasons.
I do suspect that good private ground is beginning to show great signs of improvement toward those good ol day hunts.

Best of luck.

Thinking of hunting a week in Kansas next year after hunting South Dakota a few times. How would a public hunt compare to a public hunt in SD. (generalizing) bird numbers by comparison? Where is the best part of the state to focus on for Pheasants, and to a lesser degree would their be any opportunity to hunt quail or waterfowl in that area? thx in advance.

Do your homework , I have shot ducks in the morning and both pheasant and quail late morning and after lunch .

http://s88.photobucket.com/user/Bri...s/Bird hunting/photo-9-3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=40

You have to do your homework but it is possible

All good answers

I hunt on private ground and some public in Kansas. I have steadily watched the quail numbers rise there over the last 10 years. We used to go and just pretty much pheasant hunt. Maybe see a couple coveys of quail. Now we go and we see pheasants but not like we see quail. Last year we went on the last weekend in January and pushed 10 coveys. All with 15+ birds. Never happens at home in Missouri. But you do have to do homework and in my case knock a few doors.

pheasants are still down in Kansas, some spots hold a few birds, a few more quail, waterfowl slim, as there has bee very little rain except lately in the southern part of the state......

Back