First time bird dog questions

"Get a good one", sounds like a Mr Obvious statement! We all hope they turn-out to be good ones. I do agree that all dogs need to be taught some manners (have to be able to control them) and if they aren't natural hunters, you might have to teach them that too. Get them bird contacts, the more the better. I guess all this seems pretty obvious now.

Last edited:
"Get a good one", sounds like a Mr Obvious statement! We all hope they turn-out to be good ones. I do agree that all dogs need to be taught some manners (have to be able to control them) and if they aren't natural hunters, you might have to teach them that too. Get them bird contacts, the more the better. I guess all this seems pretty obvious now.
By a good one I mean a well bred one. Of course you knew that though.

Last edited:
Get the best bred dog you can afford with health clearances. The initial purchase of your furry friend is the cheapest. Get a good one because it’s gonna be with you for at least 10 years. You want to do all you can to insure you have as healthy a dog as you can- hence the health clearances.
As far as training get a good program and follow it. Do your research on which program you choose. Some are head and shoulders above others. But whichever you choose follow it to a T.

Breed depends on what you hunt the most. If you’re a waterfowl hunter even just a little bit you might consider one of the versatile breeds.
Well said.

If you can hook up with a mentor that's huge too. Even if it's someone who doesn't train professionally or anything like that. Just someone to bounce ideas off of and help out. That will be extremely beneficial as well.

Some sound advice given so far. I have had Britt's for the first half of my hunting career and labs mostly for the second half. They both have qualities I like and some I dislike. Duckn66 has a valid point as vet bills can get costly with birddogs..trust me I know!!!
The one thing I can say for sure is I don't regret a single day of having birddogs. Sure some day suck but most are filled with adventure, fun and love.

Josie  Rich Greensburg1.jpg

Personally, bottom line, u take a good pup, it’s gonna reflect you for good or bad, only hunt a little, it’s only gonna hunt a little, take that sucker with u as much as you can, we’ll now we’re in business..

Back