First sd trip

You guys are hunting behind the wrong labs then or with the wrong lab owners. Those fat and lazy ones usually belong to a fat and lazy owner who wouldn't walk through that stuff anyways.

You guys are hunting behind the wrong labs then or with the wrong lab owners. Those fat and lazy ones usually belong to a fat and lazy owner who wouldn't walk through that stuff anyways.

I agree 100% but on average when out hunting & u bump into a guy with another lab is it a hard charging lean mean hunting machine or a house lab that hunts 2-5 days a season ??? Be honest I'm not talking ur labs just on average... They come in all breeds not just labs but lots of lazy bad trained no drive having Golden's & labs & irish setters gordens also rare to get solid hunting lines now... Lots of show dogs...

A dog does live I. House more then hunt but gotta hunt hard when out hunting no time for a lollygagging pooch out hunting no matter the breed...

I would say that you see that in many breeds. Labs do have a tendency to be overweight if not properly taken care of. I would also argue that you see more labs because they make great family dogs and are relatively easy to train in comparison to some of your more high strung breeds. If the first thing you want out of a dog is a house dog there is not many finer than a lab. If hunting comes secondary a couple of outings a year I would say that is why you see more labs like that. Not a lot of people that hunt a handful of times a year are going to want a hyper bouncing around everywhere dog that comes with a lot of other hunting breeds.

I would say that you see that in many breeds. Labs do have a tendency to be overweight if not properly taken care of. I would also argue that you see more labs because they make great family dogs and are relatively easy to train in comparison to some of your more high strung breeds. If the first thing you want out of a dog is a house dog there is not many finer than a lab. If hunting comes secondary a couple of outings a year I would say that is why you see more labs like that. Not a lot of people that hunt a handful of times a year are going to want a hyper bouncing around everywhere dog that comes with a lot of other hunting breeds.

I grew up going to school & playing sports in the city got chased & bit by labs & pit bulls most lol Shepard's also... So not all labs are nice but most are like earlier mentioned its about the owner not breed...

I think labs are cheaper to obtain & more accessible to people & everything else u stated above not many going to pay 1'000$ for a house dog...

There are if people look into them lots of other breeds that are breed to be a family dog 2nd to non & a driven hunter/retriever in pointing or flusher breeds labs are most popular does not make them the best...

Hard to mess up a dog bread to retrieve I agree... I got the hell bit out of my arm due to 100 pound lab I can't trust em again lol seen lots of angery gray faced labs in my day... Lots of nice 1s but I can never own 1 ... Scared for life lol

no no , you have to fix your spelling on biest man.:D My ocd is killing me. Lol, I never even knew I had it!:laugh::laugh:

U ever try any hevi shot type loads? Bismuth ? They non toxic & hit like lead some like hevi shot hit harder then lead... I use hevi shot turkey hunting extends range a Lil but is devastating on the birds #6 hevi shot on pheasants would be perfect out of a improved pattern I bet...

My son used 3" Kent Bismuth #4 shot yesterday and they worked very well. Birds went down just like lead.

My son used 3" Kent Bismuth #4 shot yesterday and they worked very well. Birds went down just like lead.

Was there much bird left to eat? Lol. Just mess n with ya very cool I gonna grab a box of 2 3/4 bismuth #5 or #6 I was assuming its like hevi shot? Wear the #6 hits like a #4 etc. ? Or is it like steel & u up the shot size???

Was there much bird left to eat? Lol. Just mess n with ya very cool I gonna grab a box of 2 3/4 bismuth #5 or #6 I was assuming its like hevi shot? Wear the #6 hits like a #4 etc. ? Or is it like steel & u up the shot size???

Can't really say. It's really what was said earlier. If you're less than about 30 yards and a good shot then #6 steel is enough. I think #4 or #5 shot is a nice load for just about anything over 20 yards. Whether you use 2 3/4" or 3" round is a personal preference.

I also think wild birds are tougher and need a little more to knock them down. Maybe they're just faster fliers or get off faster but they seem to have an after burner mode I don't see in birds at the club.

Bismuth is generally between lead and steel in density so people generally go up ONE shot size from their normal lead load.

"With a gravimetric density of 7.86 grams per cubic centimeter (gms/cc), steel is the lightest of the bunch, followed by bismuth, at 9.60 gms/cc; Tungsten-Iron, at 10.30; Tungsten Matrix, at 10.60; lead, at 11.10; and, the real heavyweight in the ring, Hevi-Shot, at 12 gms/cc."

Bismuth is generally between lead and steel in density so people generally go up ONE shot size from their normal lead load.

"With a gravimetric density of 7.86 grams per cubic centimeter (gms/cc), steel is the lightest of the bunch, followed by bismuth, at 9.60 gms/cc; Tungsten-Iron, at 10.30; Tungsten Matrix, at 10.60; lead, at 11.10; and, the real heavyweight in the ring, Hevi-Shot, at 12 gms/cc."

Is Hevi-shot considered a toxic load?

From the Cabela's page on non-toxic shot:

Hevi-Shot

Since coming on the market in 2001, Hevi-Shot has developed a loyal following among waterfowlers in spite of its hardness and top-ranking price.

This combination of tungsten, nickel and iron is 10% denser than lead shot and the harder pellet qualities produce tight patterns that are very effective for delivering pellets on target.

Another attractive aspect of the energy/pellet weight combination is that you can drop down a pellet size or two, gaining more shot pattern density without losing effective knockdown power.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Non-Toxic-Shot-Buyers-Guide/532009.uts

Sounds like it qualifies as non-toxic; there's no lead in it.

Thank you much... I love hevi shot on turkeys...

I'll stick with #4 or #5 bismuth then... Thought it was heavier for some reason...

I know its best to pattern our guns but do u know if this bismuth pattern tighter then lead similar to steel? Hevi shot u can open chokes more

Thank you much... I love hevi shot on turkeys...

I'll stick with #4 or #5 bismuth then... Thought it was heavier for some reason...

I know its best to pattern our guns but do u know if this bismuth pattern tighter then lead similar to steel? Hevi shot u can open chokes more

Seems to pattern the same as lead out of my guns. I've had good experiences with #5 out of IC/ MOD in my 28ga.

Hevi-Metal, Hevi-Steel, Hevi-Shot...I see boxes labeled all three. What I'm not sure about is I see the content of each hevi-etal shell has two layers of shot, with the size of steel shot labeled on the box and the hevi-shot up to 3 sizes smaller. I guess you can call the Hevi-Metal hybrid shells. I wonder how well those pattern. Hevi-Shot are pretty expensive @ $44/10 shells.

Hevi-Metal, Hevi-Steel, Hevi-Shot...I see boxes labeled all three. What I'm not sure about is I see the content of each hevi-etal shell has two layers of shot, with the size of steel shot labeled on the box and the hevi-shot up to 3 sizes smaller. I guess you can call the Hevi-Metal hybrid shells. I wonder how well those pattern. Hevi-Shot are pretty expensive @ $44/10 shells.

The mix's are not considered hevi shot...

Hevi shot is high Buck but u get what u pay for... I only use on turkey hunts

Back