First Post

Hi Everyone
Found this site from another where upland hunting was being discussed. My name is Brian - Live in California and have been hunting ducks and pheasant my whole life - out here the wild bird population has been hit very hard in my life time. Used to be that any place with some cover would yield a bird or two at the beginning of the season but not any more - finding a few birds can be a challenge. Farming practices as well as mosquito abatement have done away with the bulk of the birds. These days I hit a local wildlife refuge for the opener and hunt a private club for pen raised birds to make sure my dogs get their share of ups over the season. Luckily our waterfowl hunting can be pretty amazing at times. I hunt over English Springer Spaniels - and find them to be the all around dog that I wanted for my family. Great in the CA marsh (our mild climate helps) outstanding in the field and small enough to roll up on the couch next to me when the baseball game is on the Tube.
Take Care

Welcome! Share your tales and photos with us.

welcome aboard. Your pheasant story is an echo of an awful lot of us unfortunately.
Love them Springers!

Welcome Brian. Im from the Fresno area and also run springer dogs.The pheasant hunting isn't great but you sure cant complain about the quail hunting we have. I spend quite a bit of time up north of Yuba City chasing roosters and also out in Los Banos. Me and my brother love fishing the delta, I landed a 9lb large mouth up there a few weeks ago. Nice country up there, I want to move north some day.:cheers:

Welcome to the fourm--enjoy

We still have lots of pheasants here in SD--one should really try to get here at least once in their lifetime.:thumbsup:

Welcome Brian. Im from the Fresno area and also run springer dogs.The pheasant hunting isn't great but you sure cant complain about the quail hunting we have. I spend quite a bit of time up north of Yuba City chasing roosters and also out in Los Banos. Me and my brother love fishing the delta, I landed a 9lb large mouth up there a few weeks ago. Nice country up there, I want to move north some day.:cheers:

Grew up in YC hunted the Lodge most of my childhood - we go down to Los Banos for the Dove opener every year. If you fished the delta you were likely close to where I am now - I live on Bethel Island across the street from the boat ramp - we duck hunt about 5 minutes by boat from my front door - it isnt so bad up here - you just have to roll with what the good Lord puts in front of you.

:D

We usually launch at paradise point right next to King Island. The last few times we have been hearing roosters crowing all over.

Back