First pheasant chicks spotted

PheasantNut

My hired hand was mowing some paths around my CRP fields this afternoon, and he saw 2 broods of pheasants. They are always hard to see how many, but he spotted 6 in the first bunch and 3 in the second. There very well could have been more in the edge of the grass. This is the earliest I can recall seeing any. He estimated they were about a week to 10 days old. Conditions are perfect in my area. Very lush and green with the great spring moisture we have received.

Saw the first pheasant hatch today at the Ponderosa, aka The Big Green Jungle. My wife thought ten to twelve chicks.

Last edited:
This would be a good week for hatches. Highs generally in the 80's and dry. I'll be out touring my properties tomorrow evening. I'll let everyone know what I see. We did get all 80 acres of food plots planted last Wednesday and Thursday. Should see some good growth of all plants/grasses with the sunny, warm week ahead.

Great news! While turkey hunting last week heard pheasants crowing and quail calling in part of the Happy Hunting Grounds.

Saw some chicks myself yesterday afternoon. I was walkign the edge of a wheat field and an overgrown pasture. It was a first for me. Initially I thought they were mice. They went running into the wheat, which was at least mid-thigh tall.

My hunting buddy that runs a township grader called this afternoon to tell me he'd seen his first brood today of over a dozen that were 5 inches tall! It has begun!

I think the wheat in Ford County won't start until June 25th. Wheat in Ford County looks pretty good. Some hail damage in Ford County. Wheat I have seen in Ness County looks bad.

Depending upon the rain, combines could be running somewhere between the 15th and 20th south of here. I'm no expert on that, just listening to those that are.

Drove from Wichita to Ellsworth and back this morning. I didn't see any combines rolling, but there were a *FEW* fields partially cut in Sedgwick and Reno counties. I bet there are some trying to beat this weekend's forecasted rain.

Haven't seen any combines yet in Ford County. If the conditions continue dry some might be cut by late next week. Storms brewing now, so will see what happens.

Saw the second pheasant brood at Ponderosa yesterday. A pair of quail was really decoying me, so suspect they had a brood somewhere in the brush, but didn't see any. No chicken or turkey broods yet. I did see my first whitetail fawn yesterday also. Life begins again on the prairie.

Back