First night with new puppy

Dohyde34

Hi y'all. I just got a new puppy. It's a chocolate lab and 8 weeks old. I have a question regarding good. The breeder was feeding pro plan sport 30/20. Is that a good young pup food and how much should I be feeding at this age?

Congrats on the pup. I cant say that Ive ever heard of an 8 week old pup eating a 30/20 food. I would move to a ProPlan puppy food and check the bag for quantity. Good luck

Purina considers 30/20 pro plan an "all life stages" food. Lots of people start a puppy on 30/20 and keep it on that it's whole life. The main purpose of a puppy blend is less calories in an attempt to keep people from having overweight puppies. I personally feed pro plan large breed puppy until they are one year old then switch to 30/20. However, as I said the main thing is don't let your puppy carry excess weight. It's the easiest and one of the most important things we need to be doing as owners.

My setter was raised on PP Sport. She's now 3 1/2. However, I believe Purina resently change the recipe of the Sport and it's now called Performance. I had to switch brands as she wouldn't eat it unless I "seasoned" it with some additional...olive oil, sardines, etc. So I switched her to Victor High-Pro and she's back to eating her kibble.

I like the 27/17. Very few of us every work a dog enough to justify the 30/20. In fact too much protein can be a bad thing. The 27/17 is an all life stage and would be perfect for your pup. If not, I would go with the Purina Pro Plan Puppy food.

Much like asking the question of "what's the best brand of truck" everyone has their own opinion and different answer. To not stick to a specific brand, just find a good quality food with in between say 25/15 to 30/20 for protein/fat content. I've used Diamond, Pro Plan and Nutri Source in the past with results that all seemed to be the same. A fed and happy dog. I'd stick with the big brands and not an off shoot brand. I find those brands end up with more recalls on food. One thing I did when looking at changing up food, is look up recent recalls. If you do research, you'll find brands that constantly are recalling their food and others that show up only once in awhile.

Purina considers 30/20 pro plan an "all life stages" food. Lots of people start a puppy on 30/20 and keep it on that it's whole life. The main purpose of a puppy blend is less calories in an attempt to keep people from having overweight puppies. I personally feed pro plan large breed puppy until they are one year old then switch to 30/20. However, as I said the main thing is don't let your puppy carry excess weight. It's the easiest and one of the most important things we need to be doing as owners.
I do the same, Pro Plan LB Puppy for the first year, then whatever Large Breed Adult food you decide is best for your dog...

Suppose to be decent food. Just a note, I have moved away from any foods that are grain free with recent
articles of dogs developing heart issues, in Gun Dog and Pointing Dog Magazines.

Back