First Kansas hunt

TomU

Went on my first Pheasant hunting trip from SW Utah to Kansas last week. Hunted the Walk In fields around the Norton area from Tuesday to Saturday with a forced day off Wednesday due to 70 MPH + winds and rain. There were 4 of us and 6 dogs, 2 of which were seasoned hunters and the other pups between 5 months and 1 year still in learning mode.

Sadly, we found the birds, particularly roosters, were few and far between. We hunted the grassy edges of the corn and milo fields and the native grasses between fields. We flushed 4 shooters, maybe 10 to 15 hens and a few coveys of quail.

We were hoping to give the pups more experience so that part was frustrating but still, it was 4 days of hunting and a good time on the prairie.

Maybe next year?

westksbowhunt: The short answer is I just got back into bird hunting and the other guys had hunted there before. We all wished it had been more productive but It was a learning experience for me and the pup. I will absolutely consider other States for future hunts.

Well you got to experience some wind. 100 mph plus here where I live. I used to live up at Oberlin and hunted that area all the time when I lived there. It was awesome hunting 2008-2012. Averaged 50-75 birds myself during those years. Great fishing at Norton.

I believe there are more birds than folks think. If it ever snows, go out and look. You'll be amazed. When it is as dry as it is, you can't move without making noise, dogs have a difficult time holding a scent and the birds just move off ahead of you. I have found many times that large parties/lots of dogs in these dry conditions spook the birds long before they can be found by the dogs.

Jim: I think there is a lot of truth in what you said. It was dry as a bone and the pups were creating quite the fuss running back and forth. Most of the flushes took place at the ends of structure when there was no where for the birds to go but up.

The first day out there I hunted alone and was intimidated by the sheer size of the fields. I thought it would be better once all the others got here. But now I'm thinking there is some value in solo hunting also.

Went on my first Pheasant hunting trip from SW Utah to Kansas last week. Hunted the Walk In fields around the Norton area from Tuesday to Saturday with a forced day off Wednesday due to 70 MPH + winds and rain. There were 4 of us and 6 dogs, 2 of which were seasoned hunters and the other pups between 5 months and 1 year still in learning mode.

Sadly, we found the birds, particularly roosters, were few and far between. We hunted the grassy edges of the corn and milo fields and the native grasses between fields. We flushed 4 shooters, maybe 10 to 15 hens and a few coveys of quail.

We were hoping to give the pups more experience so that part was frustrating but still, it was 4 days of hunting and a good time on the prairie.

Maybe next year?
This year my wirehair was pointing about 20 to 1 hens to roosters and lots of quail. People ask me why Kansas as well. I've got good contacts there and Utah sucks, that's why.

Cowan, Here in SW Utah the only Pheasants are the one stocked. We're lucky to live right near the area they put them but I would not go out there the day after. We hunt the area midweek for the few leftovers. Quail have been all but nonexistent.

Kansas may have been a bust this year but it was still worth it just for the experience.

Where in Utah are you?

Jim: I think there is a lot of truth in what you said. It was dry as a bone and the pups were creating quite the fuss running back and forth. Most of the flushes took place at the ends of structure when there was no where for the birds to go but up.

The first day out there I hunted alone and was intimidated by the sheer size of the fields. I thought it would be better once all the others got here. But now I'm thinking there is some value in solo hunting also.
I tend to stay away from the very large CRP fields if they are a flat monoculture CRP planting, but most CRP has some terrain and habitat structure if you look closely. I hunt those areas. If large is all that is available, I will walk out into the field a ways then hunt to a corner. That can be tremendously effective. I have a good friend that is one of the best bird hunters I know. He hunts pheasants much like deer. If you just storm into a field, you'll likely see nothing. Being extra quiet and stealthy, even to the point of not wearing orange works very well for him.

Maybe next year?
TomU,

I’ve hunted the Norton/Jennings area for going on 20 years now and this year was the worst. The birds are way down. We hunt all private farms and the results were just bad.

Attachments

• 5EA2927E-F6B4-4C0D-BBB2-D7E1C68C2386.jpeg
    5EA2927E-F6B4-4C0D-BBB2-D7E1C68C2386.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 29
I just hunted Kansas, it all depends on the area. We found a lot in some places, none in others. More quail than pheasants. It’s not a everyone limits season. But birds are there. My dog struggled with the dryness. She found coveys of quail but struggled with singles.

I just hunted Kansas, it all depends on the area. We found a lot in some places, none in others. More quail than pheasants. It’s not a everyone limits season. But birds are there. My dog struggled with the dryness. She found coveys of quail but struggled with singles.
I’ve seen the same thing over the season as well. Some of the good pockets have been spectacular too. Had a point from my female gsp that ended with a 40 bird flush out of a thick kocia patch. Probably saw close to 100 birds in that one field. Ten miles north of there we hunted several fields with 2-6 flushes per field. They aren’t everywhere folks but there’s enough good pockets to keep me going.

Attachments

• D3103E02-AF0D-4968-8038-CA1BDDB40698.jpeg
    D3103E02-AF0D-4968-8038-CA1BDDB40698.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 83BB4018-D5E9-4A31-8EEF-7EE37972564C.jpeg
    83BB4018-D5E9-4A31-8EEF-7EE37972564C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
Back