First Hunt

steelbull85

Every year after Thanksgiving we get together with our neighbors and friends for "Deer Camp" to bring in the first day of rifle season. As you can imagine deer camp includes much more than just hunting. It includes, stories, good food, camaraderie, poker, and maybe a few beverages. One of the best things about deer camp is the small game hunt that takes place on Friday or Saturday before opening day. This year we went to a local game farm and purchased some Chukar for us all to hunt and have a fun time with. We took them out, planted them and then went back home for some breakfast before we began. Since my lab is 5 months old, she is in a good spot to introduce to live birds. We have already introduced her to frozen birds and wings and nothing gets her fired up more than the smell of some birds and feathers. Needless to say, this was a perfect training opportunity.

I started her out on a check cord and gave her the "hunt 'em up" command, and man did she jump into action. Within a couple minutes she had her first flush and retrieve, and that is all it took. The dog was hooked. She knew exactly what it was that she was supposed to do. She worked hard....in tall grass, in thick brush, and into groups of fallen trees. She had her mistakes (most of which were my mistakes), but I couldn't be more impressed for a 5 month old puppy. Some things I need to work on include calling her off birds, sitting on flush, marking falls, and working on retrieving (we've been taking a break because she's been teething). The thing I was most concerned about was shooting over her. I have taken her to the local trap/skeet range and had her around gunfire, and had her close to gunfire, but never shot over her. I was so happy after the first shot that she didn't even care. She was so focused on the bird that the shooting was the least of her concerns. At the end of the day she had around 15 flushes (some birds multiple times....great shooting by us). I'm itching to get her out and work more with her, and know that I am going to have a hunting machine on my hands. It's going to take some time, but it will be well worth it. I already can't wait for next pheasant season!

Here is a picture of her at the end of the hunt with my neighbors grandson. Boy did they bond before, during, and after the hunt. :cheers:

Steelbull,

That's a great story and report. I can feel the bond forming betwween you and your pup through your words. You and her are going to make lasting memories, please cherish every moment, it goes way to fast! Sounds like you are well on your way to having a pheasant finding machine and more importently a great hunting buddy. Great looking pup. Thanks for sharing!

How did deer season go?

FLDBRED,

It wasn't bad, but we have had better years. Neighbor shot a decent 6pt, but that was it. Lots of young bucks were seen, but not too much on the legal side. We should have some good years coming in the future, which is promising. Either way it was great to be around friends/family.

What about you? Any more luck since opening day? Hopefully HollowWatcher sent some luck your way.

-SB

SB,

I got an 8pt. and Hollow a 6pt..The pictures are of two different bucks.The last couple of years have been very stange, almost no shooting on the opener, Hollow and mine were the only shots in the area.
You're right about spending time with family and friends, it stopped being about the kill a long time ago!

I can see why your excited about next years small game season, keep working with that little girl, Im excited for you!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
sb85,

You guys are driving me crazy, I can't wait to get my own pup and start training! I'm going to need a lot of help.
Where did you get your pup from?
Nice report and pictures, that's a fine looking pup.:10sign:

Thanks! I live in Virginia and got her from a breeder down around Richmond. The breeder is Amber Run Kennels. I wish I could take full credit for how far she has come, but I must give the majority of the credit to the breeders as they have great blood lines and breed for the right qualities. I would be happy to pass you some information if you are interested. :thumbsup:

sb85,

You guys are driving me crazy, I can't wait to get my own pup and start training! I'm going to need a lot of help.
Where did you get your pup from?
Nice report and pictures, that's a fine looking pup.:10sign:

Back