First hunt with no collar!

c_d

Made it out to the preserve yesterday for some late season birds. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as we park, I realize I left Fillmore's e-collar on her kennel at home. $h*&! I ask the guys there if they can spare an extra, but with the demand for their kennel dogs, they've got nothing left. Well, long story short, I was nervous we would/could have issues...

It turned out to be just fine! I made sure we hunted a field that was well away from anyone else, so there were less distractions, and she did great. pattern was good. range was good. My nervousness went away and I just rolled with it. Her retrieves were fine, but she'd drop the bird about 4 feet away. but for the day, I was ok with that. Temps got a bit warm, and she's usually a bit sloppy on delivery when it's warm. She brought them in, which was enough for me at that time.

It sure helped that we went 3 for 3 on fliers so there was no excessive chasing to worry about. phew! She even nabbed one for herself that was hunkered down in a bush and couldn't get up/out to flush.

All in all, I'm VERY happy we had the day we did. It got me more confident and optimistic for a chance at a future hunt test where I can't rely on the collar like I do. It was a great learning day for me.

I'm seeing more and more truth to the adage - birds make the bird dog. I'm learning to read her better, she seems to learning to read the birds better. It's great to see the pup getting older and more confident. I can't wait for next year.

sorry. can't help myself. love it when the wings covering the face and the dog can't see anything and just follows your voice in

Very cool c_d.:coolpics: I've had the same thing happen and I also just rolled with it and ended up pleasantly surprised. Even my gung-ho, balls out, knuckle head JP ended up hunting wild birds great, with a few exceptions (jack rabbits), without the collar.

Back