Finding Pheasant mid day, Where do you look?

JPH

What type of cover are you guys focusing on mid day to find birds? I hear people talk about loafing cover. What does that look like to you? CRP grass, thickets, cedar trees, koshia?
Curious to hear peoples ideas. Just returned from a hunt and we could not consistently find birds mid day, in an area that had good bird numbers.

Any cover which is open at ground level, bare dirt preferable for dusting and preening, with overhead cover for concealment, and close to feed sources. In warm weather, birds may never leave the stubble. The prime spot would be a plum thicket, with thin grass, bordered by a lightly travelled country road for gravel, and a cornfield.

think of it as pheasants sort of need to eat three times a day-
arround noon I've caught up with them in grain and grass
try anything and everything- trial and error is the best advice

pastures with some scattered decent cover may be used as loafing areas, roadside ditches are handy as well.

Hmmm mid-day pheasant habitat.

This fall we found them mostly in the sorghum and corn. A typical pattern from grain to grass just didn't happen as it has in the past, hence the crp hunters didn't fare as well.

A few were found in tree groves, but they preferred the sorghum. I did find them in a very weedy cut corn field. When they heard me coming, off the flew!

I can only report on two trips to the same farm(s). Weather was in the high 30's, and clear most day's.

Jon

Hmmm mid-day pheasant habitat.

This fall we found them mostly in the sorghum and corn. A typical pattern from grain to grass just didn't happen as it has in the past, hence the crp hunters didn't fare as well.

A few were found in tree groves, but they preferred the sorghum. I did find them in a very weedy cut corn field. When they heard me coming, off the flew!

Jon

If crops are still up that's a sure way to find mid day birds. This time of year though (with most crops down) the other areas mentioned in previous posts are the way to go. Nevertheless, mid day pheasants can be tough to find unless hunting standing crops. :) --1pheas4

If crops are still up that's a sure way to find mid day birds. This time of year though (with most crops down) the other areas mentioned in previous posts are the way to go. Nevertheless, mid day pheasants can be tough to find unless hunting standing crops. :) --1pheas4

Yep, and as basically said around our parts of the good Ole US, we like the edges of thick cover by a picked food source, and corn is usually the best.
They also like the down wind edge of the spot most of the time.

We basically hit cattails this time of year. Most of them are little pockets in fields so a food source is close by. We find them in there no matter what time of day.

Back