Finally got my rooster back from the taxidermist

519vx

This was a rooster from my first trip to South Dakota last fall. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Here's the story...it was a warmer, sunny day last October. I was hunting by myself with just my younger Golden (she was 3 then). Keep in mind this was my first trip to South Dakota, and I'm used to hunting hours around here in Wisconsin for State stocked birds on public grounds so hunting truly wild birds out there was an eye opener.

Hunting along, we came to a tree that apparently provided good shade and Sage got birdy. Roosters started busting out one after another. I was surprised, startled, etc. and was having real trouble picking out a bird because as I picked one, another would jump out. Well, this was literally rooster #9 that came out from under that tree. And he was the last bird in there under that tree.

He flew out, I shot, and he dropped in a cut corn field and immediately took off running. Sage went after him and got a ways out so I called her back. I went with her more slowly after the bird. She was working well row to row. She runs past a clump of stalks and does a solid stop and spins 180 degrees and sticks her head into the clump. The rooster was in there and jumped in the air and tried to spur her. She literally jumped and grabbed him out of the air and held him. It was spectacular.

The whole story was so neat that I needed to make that memory a permanent one, right down to having him mounted on a simulated corn field. The base measures 24 x 36 and sets nice on a table top. Here he is...

Phez_zps54a6f2b8.jpg

Great story, and great mount...

now, the dilemma: where's it gonna go?

(had a work-friend who had a mount made which was just his pride and joy. Took a while and a substantial investment. He had neglected to consult the managing partner clause in his marriage contract.:eek:

The flying turkey mount ended up in his firm's office.:D )

now, the dilemma: where's it gonna go?

Well...on the dining room table of course! I like pheasants more than most people that come to the house, so.... ;)

I have myself a "man cave" that's all hunting and fishing. Phez has a new spot on a coffee table in that room. It was kind of funny when Sage came into the room last night and Phez was on the table and she saw it. She immediately froze, then looked like she was about to lunge at it until she got the "NO!!!!". :D

Well...on the dining room table of course! I like pheasants more than most people that come to the house, so.... ;)

I have myself a "man cave" that's all hunting and fishing. Phez has a new spot on a coffee table in that room. It was kind of funny when Sage came into the room last night and Phez was on the table and she saw it. She immediately froze, then looked like she was about to lunge at it until she got the "NO!!!!". :D

Two thumbs up on the dining room table idea! Beautiful mount! :10sign:

Beautiful mount. Hope it does not confuse the dog for long!! I could see that bird as a focal point/center piece in a formal dining room!!

Awesome mount Steve! Don't get a Jack Russell, she'll be up there destroying it the first chance it gets.:D

Good looking bird, perfect way to record a great hunt. :thumbsup:
I don't think I could trust my Britt pup, I'd have to put it high on the wall.
My Wife used some long rooster tails to make a center piece, first chance he got "Woody" got em. :eek::cheers:

Gee Steve that bird looks a little familiar :D
Great looking mount :10sign:

Looks nice. I love large habitat base like that.:)

Back