Final Rise, Chief Upland, Marsupial, Q5

PTM

As much as it hurts me to say this my Beretta upland vest is a piece of junk, my old gamehide is a better vest. Anyway leaning towards a Final Rise Summit vest but can’t find a shootout with the aforementioned brands, Chief Upland, Marsupial gear etc, do I really need a modular upland hunting vest no, am I getting one yes sir I am.

I have a Q5 Upland and a Marsupial (can't remember the model). The Q5 is great but the new owners of really suck...terrible customer service. I ordered a San Carlos in July. Nothing from them until late September and I had to deal with my credit card company to dispute the charges. Buyer beware.

Marsupial has excellent customer service and their products seem to be top-notch.

Reactions: PTM
I have a Q5 San Carlos. Great vest. My only complaint is it is difficult to reach around and put a bird in the vest. No front load. I have not ordered anything from them since 2016 until the other day. I ordered two water bottles. I have a tracking number and it is in transit so maybe I got lucky.

I have a Final Rise that I bought to replace a browning Bird n lite. The final rise is sweet, light comfortable and well made. Easy to load birds, and holds plenty of water.

I have a Final Rise that I bought to replace a browning Bird n lite. The final rise is sweet, light comfortable and well made. Easy to load birds, and holds plenty of water.
I was bored between driveway shoveling and ordered the final rise summit, Im really excited to give it a whirl, my Beretta vest is a pos, have you ordered any additional pouches/gizmos?

I was bored between driveway shoveling and ordered the final rise summit, Im really excited to give it a whirl, my Beretta vest is a pos, have you ordered any additional pouches/gizmos?
I have the legacy version. I didn’t order any extras. For my style of hunting I like lightweight. The legacy holds plenty of shells, a couple of big bottles of water and a limit of birds with ease. The quality and comfort are what stands out when you wear it.
You should be plenty happy with your summit!

I am on my second season with a Summit. I can't remember exactly what came with it, and what I ordered extra. I know I added the extra bag to go on the back. And I have 2 water bottle holders. In the extra rear bag, I carry a bunch of dog first aid supplies. I carry cable cutters in the main back compartment. I have an extra side pouch that I carry an extra pair of gloves, and a thin neck gaiter and stocking hat in. I have no doubt that this will be the last vest I ever have to buy. Very well built. I'm not super flexible, but I can easily load and unload birds with one hand. I keep a collapsible dog bowl and slip leads in the game pouch and can easily get to them without taking the vest off. The only thing I don't like about it, is the shell pouches can't be zipped or unzipped with one hand...at least I haven't figured out a way to do it? This isn't a huge deal for me, as I rarely zip them. When I take the vest off I hang it from a cargo hook in the backseat of my pickup.

I am on my second season with a Summit. I can't remember exactly what came with it, and what I ordered extra. I know I added the extra bag to go on the back. And I have 2 water bottle holders. In the extra rear bag, I carry a bunch of dog first aid supplies. I carry cable cutters in the main back compartment. I have an extra side pouch that I carry an extra pair of gloves, and a thin neck gaiter and stocking hat in. I have no doubt that this will be the last vest I ever have to buy. Very well built. I'm not super flexible, but I can easily load and unload birds with one hand. I keep a collapsible dog bowl and slip leads in the game pouch and can easily get to them without taking the vest off. The only thing I don't like about it, is the shell pouches can't be zipped or unzipped with one hand...at least I haven't figured out a way to do it? This isn't a huge deal for me, as I rarely zip them. When I take the vest off I hang it from a cargo hook in the backseat of my pickup.
Great report exactly what I wanted to hear, I’m slowing down a little I need shit that works at this point in my life, my multi tasking skills suck, when I’m out there hunting with 2 dogs I sure am glad no one’s videotaping.

I have a Chief upland vest but I don’t care for it. It doesn’t seem the sides come far enough forward and I have to reach behind to get shells. I have the shell pouches as far forward as you can get them on the molle system and I don’t care for the little plastic clips that hold the game bag closed.
I also have the San Carlos but as someone mentioned it is hard to get pheasants in the game bag. I’m flexible so I hold the bird in one hand and stick my other arm through the game bag and pull bird into the bag. It is a PIA while trying to hold your shotgun.
My Q5 Rimfire is nice but seems really big and not well suited to the type of hunting that I do.
I migrated back to my 10 year old WingWorks vest and that is about the only one I’ve used this year. I’ve figured out how to carry my electronics and have the grouse pockets on instead of the long pockets.
I’ve been searching for the perfect hunting vest for 15 years and have purchased and tried most of them and still go back to that old WingWorks. I like the looks of that Marsupial vest but not enough to pay $300 for it.

Im still trying to get past the $300 for a vest.
Head to toe its easy to spend over $2k these days. What has happened to us…

Im still trying to get past the $300 for a vest.
Head to toe its easy to spend over $2k these days. What has happened to us…
I guess $300 doesn't seem bad compared to what we spend on dogs and guns. But you are correct, bird hunting gear is crazy expensive.

Been hunting Badlands vest a few years now. Love it…but you cannot load birds with it strapped on. Undo straps-set gun down-load bird. Also I’ve never had faith in any elastic shell holders on any gear period. Put em in a pouch and roll. As a kid I had to fill every elastic shell holder cause I also wanted to be Pancho Villa. Always had a couple fall out somewhere in the field. Haven’t bother with that in decades.

I had an Alps, nice vest but got to hot for me and sold it, the Chief Upland reminds me of the Alps so I imagine it's just as hot which is a no go for me. Bought a Q5 Centerfire really like that but lost a bunch of weight and it didn't fit anymore so I sold that one too. Just got a Final Rise the other week and I'm looking forward to giving that a go.

Going to have to backup the Final Rise summit as well. I have ran mine for a couple of seasons now and I couldn't be happier. I've done several all day hunts and comfort level of this vest is remarkable. I shot a few early in the morning and was carrying birds all day without feeling any weight from my back. I bought some jacket leashes and was able to strap my jacket onto my vest. I actually just ran into another guy this last Sunday that also had a summit vest and he had the same things to say. The $300 price tag does seem a bit steep, but Matt takes pride in his craftsmanship and have never heard of a negative review from the Final Rise summit vest. Just my .02

I have a Final Rise that I bought at Pheasant Fest last year in Omaha. Absolutely love it, I also have a wings works that it replaced which still looks new after 10 years but I wanted to try something new. I love the added pockets on the Final Rise and I also ordered mine with the shell pockets that are similar to the Wings Works. Overall I am very happy with the vest and it's over 1lb lighter than the Wings Works which doesn't sound like much but when you pack all your gear and have birds in there every lb matters. You won't be dissapointed with it, the owner is great. Talked with him for over an hour at Pheasant Fest last year which sold us!

Back