Final days in Kansas

Well just wrapping up our final days for the season. Got started yesterday morning at 1030. Saw some birds in field 1 but was only able to knock down one. Field 2 was loaded and it caught me off guard. Saw 50 or so roosters in a draw. That was the biggest group of birds we've seen this year. We left that field with 4 and began planning for day 2. It was cold and moderately windy. 3 guys ended the day with 6 roosters and 2 quail. Had a blast an got to enjoy some great dog work.

Day 2 was a blast. Winds were light and it was cold. We walked from sunup until dark and had something going on most of the day. Picked up an extra hunter today and we finished with 5 roosters and seven quail. We didn't chase coveys today because of the brutal cold. We should of had a couple more roosters but we whiffed on a couple. Saw 8 coveys.

Today was encouraging. Overall that was the most birds we've seen all year. It gives me hope that things can get better and I believe they will. I'm aware there are a lot of areas that the bird population is down. Without a doubt, after 25 days in the field this season, there are far more birds around here than there has been in the past 10 years . Not bragging just wanting to share some positivity for the upland hunters that are left. Good luck to all.

Wish I knew what counties have/had honey holes. <big sigh>

What part of the state where you in? Not looking for exact location, but just charting bird reports.
Do to health reasons, I have been a spectator this season, and decided to chart hunting reports.
Thanks in advance

The US Drought Monitor seems to be a good tool. Check back to nesting, mating and brooding months and see where the moisture was good and follow it for a few months. It rang true in the areas that I hunted this season.

I just got back yesterday. 2 elderly guys, 4 dogs, 7 days. We decided before we left to treat this trip as more of a training trip as we both have young dogs. Hunted all private in the smokey hills. Hadn't been there for three years. I was disappointed in the pheasant numbers, but the quail numbers were definitely up. We didn't see much CRP haying but did see some pasturing. Unfortunately, several of our spots were pretty good CRP but no grain for miles. When numbers are good there will be birds in those. But not this time. Our best day we saw around 12 hens and 5 roosters with not even close to a shot. Also 2 nice coveys of 12 to 15 birds in them. Worst day was one covey of 7-8 and one nice covey. I was pretty impressed with the size of coveys for late Jan. We averaged 6 miles a day. About half of what we did just a few years ago, but not complaining! I stayed with full and xtra full so didn't shoot a lot of quail. Weather was 45 and sunny to snowing and -9 wind chills. We laid out one day because we didn't want to harass the quail at -9. Also, a good excuse to rest up and watch some football! Mid-week the snow melted and the secondary roads were a no go, so that hurt also. Then froze back up for the last two days. One day we stayed away from the CRP and hunted only creek bottoms with wooded draws and tree lines with and milo. Found 5 coveys. If there were some grassy areas for nesting, milo and some cover, there was quail. The two veteran dogs were very good, and the young dogs learned a lot. The roosters were wild as hell but All in all, a lot of fun was had by all except two roosters and 10 quail! My shooting sucked, but only had one opportunity at a rooster and had my phone out taking a pic! This was my 3rd year without killing a wild rooster! that's going to change next year if I have to drive all the way to S.D.!!

Attachments

• IMG_E0828[1].JPG
    IMG_E0828[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0814[1].JPG
    IMG_0814[1].JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0815[1].JPG
    IMG_0815[1].JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0817[1].JPG
    IMG_0817[1].JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
I heard something interesting from a farmer's son who is an avid deer hunter. We were talking about walk in areas that did have a few birds but are now out of the program. He said that the outfitters are offering more money than the state if the area has birds!

I heard something interesting from a farmer's son who is an avid deer hunter. We were talking about walk in areas that did have a few birds but are now out of the program. He said that the outfitters are offering more money than the state if the area has birds!
Yep, I've lost quite a few good sections of Walk-in over the years due to this. It's sad but it is what it is.

My experience in Kansas was the best, hunted NC Kansas for ten years from 2003-2013. Very rural where we were and farmed by the best people.
A simple handshake was an OK to hunt their property, but we left gifts of WI cheese and beer. Stayed in an old farmhouse that was built on a limestone foundation with a plaque that said 1886. Only one ungrounded outlet per room. Coyotes yipped and howled every night. Hunted for phez and quail. Hunted only CRP fields that ranged in size from 20 acres to 320 acres. You had to have a dog that was exceptional at trailing until you could corner that rooster to hold, typically at the end of the field or a broken edge. Never was a big flush more than 15-20 birds and that was rare. A typical day provided at least four opportunities and if you capitalized you had a limit which were the norm. We hunted some WIHA which was next to our private land, but was never as productive as private. Loved the quail, especially late in the season when found in fence rows and creek banks. Used 20 ga SxS for all our hunting, 6's for phez and 8's for quail if you had time to swap out shells. The land owners were genuine
friends over time, again the best. Most years we never saw another hunter. So what happened?? Birds seemed to decline after some harsh weather, but the worst was losing at least 80% of our private access to deer leases. This was prime CRP
ground or dirty picked crop fields. Milo was turned into soybeans and quail numbers dropped. Dirty milo set aside was prime for both phez and quail. Older land owners were transitioning their land to the kids who didn't farm like their parents. We saw the end coming for us in Kansas and we migrated north to the Dakotas. Still there but our hearts still are hunting in Kansas. Go Chiefs Half time will be BBQ bacon wrapped quail.

Last edited:
State needs to get a handle on the guides. They are basically unregulated as far as I know. They need to require guide licenses, first aide training required, mandatory reporting to the state for birds killed/fish caught etc. They are absolutely ruining it for the freelance hunter.

State needs to get a handle on the guides. They are basically unregulated as far as I know. They need to require guide licenses, first aide training required, mandatory reporting to the state for birds killed/fish caught etc. They are absolutely ruining it for the freelance hunter.

I think guides are running out of their stock in trade: birds.

Last edited:
My experience in Kansas was the best, hunted NC Kansas for ten years from 2003-2013. Very rural where we were and farmed by the best people.
A simple handshake was an OK to hunt their property, but we left gifts of WI cheese and beer. Stayed in an old farmhouse that was built on a limestone foundation with a plaque that said 1886. Only one ungrounded outlet per room. Coyotes yipped and howled every night. Hunted for phez and quail. Hunted only CRP fields that ranged in size from 20 acres to 320 acres. You had to have a dog that was exceptional at trailing until you could corner that rooster to hold, typically at the end of the field or a broken edge. Never was a big flush more than 15-20 birds and that was rare. A typical day provided at least four opportunities and if you capitalized you had a limit which were the norm. We hunted some WIHA which was next to our private land, but was never as productive as private. Loved the quail, especially late in the season when found in fence rows and creek banks. Used 20 ga SxS for all our hunting, 6's for phez and 8's for quail if you had time to swap out shells. The land owners were genuine
friends over time, again the best. Most years we never saw another hunter. So what happened?? Birds seemed to decline after some harsh weather, but the worst was losing at least 80% of our private access to deer leases. This was prime CRP
ground or dirty picked crop fields. Milo was turned into soybeans and quail numbers dropped. Dirty milo set aside was prime for both phez and quail. Older land owners were transitioning their land to the kids who didn't farm like their parents. We saw the end coming for us in Kansas and we migrated north to the Dakotas. Still there but our hearts still are hunting in Kansas. Go Chiefs Half time will be BBQ bacon wrapped quail.
GO CHIEFS

Back