Field Trials

I would like to know more about field trials. I have a nice little setter who I don't think would embarrass me about finding birds or holding them to flush. However, she does not retrieve at all (she marks downed birds, goes to them but does not bring them back). Are there any trials that do not include retrieving as a requirement? What are they judged on? Are there "novice" divisions (for dogs and handlers)?

Thanks for the info. I live in Texas but would be willing to travel a reasonable amount (probably as far as Kansas)

I would like to know more about field trials. I have a nice little setter who I don't think would embarrass me about finding birds or holding them to flush. However, she does not retrieve at all (she marks downed birds, goes to them but does not bring them back). Are there any trials that do not include retrieving as a requirement? What are they judged on? Are there "novice" divisions (for dogs and handlers)?

Thanks for the info. I live in Texas but would be willing to travel a reasonable amount (probably as far as Kansas)

There are a lot of different field trials. I personally run my Brittany in the NSTRA (National Shoot-To-Retrieve Assn.). I don't know of any trials that would not require your dog to retrieve. If I was you I would find a good trainer in your area and have the dog put through a Trained Retrieve Program (Force Fetch). Whether or not you run any trials you will be glad you did it. Nothing better than having a dog that will retrieve to hand.

In the NSTRA trials the dogs are judged on the following things. NSTRA trials are for pointing breeds only.

1. Find/Point (0-100 pts per find) Once the dog goes on point it cannot move until the handler flushes the bird. The dog does not have to be steady to wing & shot.
2. Retrieve (0-100 pts per retrieve) Quick to the bird and quick bringing it back to hand.
3. Ground Coverage (0-100 pts) How well the dog covers the ground. It usually takes a pretty big running dog to compete in NSTRA.
4. Back/Honor (0-75 pts) Only scored on one back per run.
5. Obedience (0-75 pts) How well the dog handles for the handler in the field, etc.

This is a very brief explanation and there is a lot more to it that this but hopefully it will give some kind of idea.

Ok, I'll give you a brief run down.

You have two major Associations.

AKC -
AF -

In AKC, I don't believe that Setters are required to retrieve. The versatiles do, but don't believe that the setters do.

The different stakes that you can run are roughly based on the dog's age. Puppy stakes are for just that, puppies. Derby stakes are for the adolescent dogs. Both of these stakes judge essentially on the dog's potential. Then you have gun dog stakes in which the dogs are required to be broke through the shot.

The AF is very similar in different stakes. Instead of gun dogs, though, they call them "shooting dogs".
US Complete, NBHA, and many other associations run under the AF and the FDSB (This is the dog registry that the AF uses.)

They have puppy stakes, derby stakes and shooting dog stakes.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Back