field trials

bbasil

I was thinking about getting my 7 month old setter involved in field trials. I think it would be a fun way to get my wife and kids involved. They like helping me train and run the dogs but don't hunt. How do you even get started in this sport? What do they test for in the puppy divisions? I was researching online and there appear to be several organizations that sanction events. Are these usually fun events or ultra competitive and serious?

I am a Retriever guy so I will not be much help😄. One of my local clubs puts on "picnic" or informal trials so a guy can get his feet wet without the pressure and costs of an AKC trial. They award rosettes for 1-4 and jams and a trophy for the high point dog in each class. I have a couple of blue ribbons and I am damn proud of them! Last month over 70 dogs were entered between the 4 classes. Maybe you can find something similar to this.

Steve

Some are fun, but i would say that most are competetive and taken somewhat seriously. I would suggest trying to attend some in your area and see which game you want to try. you can pick from American Field which would include shooting dog and horse back stakes, NSTRA which is a timed event taking and retrieving birds, UFTA which is similar to NSTRA, cover dog trials that are wild bird events on grouse and woodcock. The American Field and cover dog trials do not shoot birds and as the dog gets older the dog must be broke to have any chance of winning.

Go observe and ask questions.

Back