Field kit + I had a blooper load

Not experienced with any Semi Auto since the 80's but before that they all Jamed in that weather except my Winchester 1400 and that could have been a fluke.

When I took apart my dads shotgun to clean it he had a piece of 12/3 romex wire in it as a plug. I think that would be stiff enough for most obstructions. I’ve got a piece of an old sink snake rolled up in my gun case.
Had a few reloads go poof. Sucks you got to unload and check. Actually had one I pulled the trigger and you could hear the shot rolling down the barrel.
Only problem I’ve ever had with an auto is a gummed up firing pin but we’re a lot warmer here

Blue dot powder? I thought I read it might be somewhat sensitive to temp. I use Longshot, never any issues with it.

This was actually Longshot. I had switched from SR4756 when I ran out. It was a listed recipe, but I think the Fed hull and Winchester wad were not a good combination. I have since switched to a Winchester hull and not had problems. I think the Longshot powder is a little harder to ignite than the 4756 was.

Jerry

Hevi-shot had a problem with their shells doing that in cold weather about 10 years ago and did a recall on them. If your shells get wet, that will cause that problem.

Had a reload that did that in a Benelli auto that must have been very light on powder. We all heard the ploop sound except for the shooter who fired off again at the flock of pheasants we were pounding away at. It had ejected the casing but left the wad in the barrel so the second shot pushed it out, leaving behind a big bulge halfway down the barrel. Solved with am $895 replacement barrel but that wiped out 10 years of money saved doing reloading. That hurt.

Back