Field bred golden retriever info

Bob Peters

I have a buddy looking to buy a field bred golden retriever in the next 6-24 months for pheasant and duck hunting and indoor family dog. He asked me what the going price is. I figured I'd inquire here, I understand there can be a big variance in puppy pricing. My buddy lives in MN. If you would prefer to shoot me a direct message on here that is fine. Thanks.

I have a buddy looking to buy a field bred golden retriever in the next 6-24 months for pheasant and duck hunting and indoor family dog. He asked me what the going price is. I figured I'd inquire here, I understand there can be a big variance in puppy pricing. My buddy lives in MN. If you would prefer to shoot me a direct message on here that is fine. Thanks.
Contact —GOLDEN BOY—on this forum—
first class goldens and person..

Ive got one of Joels pups. Just over a year old. Hes awesome, wait, hes an idiot! Hes the best! Hes everything a Golden pup should be! 60 lbs of ALL-IN regardless of what he’s doing. But seriously, he’s a nitwit 15 times a day! Just cant get mad at him!
it’s what will make this Fall one of the best ever! D5F9F23E-609D-41EA-B87B-BB9C7BF6ABB8.jpeg

Thunderstruck Retrievers - Todd and Benita Otterness
Thistle Rock Goldens - Tom Lane

Both produce very high quality Goldens. Your friend should research genetic health issues in the breed and ensure whichever breeder he selects has tested for these conditions.

Tell your friend he may get sticker shock for the cost of a well bred golden retriever. Whatever breeder he contacts, he needs to make darn sure that he researches and understands the health clearances and concerns with golden retrievers. He also needs to understand that more than likely he will be on a waiting list for a good breeding. I have owned goldens from Topbrass Kennels and they were all spectacular dogs. Not cheap by any means, but incredible dogs hunting both waterfowl and upland game.

Current golden has Top Brass in his background - from a breeder in WI. Now 10 ,has been the best one of 5 that I've owned.

Yes, be prepared for sticker shock, they are pricey, but well worth the investment.

Thunderstruck Retrievers - Todd and Benita Otterness
Thistle Rock Goldens - Tom Lane

Both produce very high quality Goldens. Your friend should research genetic health issues in the breed and ensure whichever breeder he selects has tested for these conditions.
My Thunderstruck golden is 1.5 years now. Expensive but no health issues so far and a classic field golden. Has trained well and very gamey. She has not proven herself on pheasants yet but I am confident she will. Slow to mature but turning into a great dog. Fetching fool and can't keep her out of the water. She would have made a great duck dog but I don't hunt them. She's the first dog I've owned that works and stays close to me which is a real pleasure. Always checking in with me. We have a very close bond. Also like my last golden she does not enjoy riding in the truck. She'll get in any time knowing it will lead to fun but she just freezes up and never moves while the truck is rolling. Never gets car sick though. Wierd but not a problem. My older pointer likes to 'hunt' from the front seat!

Last edited:
Bob, I would love to talk to your buddy. The other two kennel suggestions are great people as well. We all raise healthy, certified field Golden's. But he should talk to any of us soon because the waiting lists can get long. I have two young dogs that will get their health certifications in July and should be ready for breeding whenever one of them comes into season. Tell him to check out my website and he can send me an email that way to ask more questions.

I am 1-2 years away from my next pheasant dog. Currently have a lab and am leaning towards a lab again.

From my somewhat limited experience of hunting with others who have Golden's, they've all been very slightly more laid back than labs, both in the field and home. Anybody else in general notice the same?

After lots of hunts, the owners seem to spend a fair amount of time grooming and getting burs out of the Golden's fur. Given good genetics, training, etc., is the coat the only real major difference between a golden and a lab, both in and out of the field and home?

I have 3 young children at home (5, 3, 1 years old) and want to be realistic with myself that this next dog may not get out in the field nearly as much as my current one. I would rate my current lab an A+ in the field and a C+ at home. I'd like my next one to be an A+ at home and anywhere from a C+ to A+ in the field.

Jackrabbit, you can find that dog you are looking for in either a lab or a golden. I do not have a lot of problems with my goldens and burrs etc. Field bred goldens have shorter coats than the show goldens. My suggestion for you is to begin researching the breeders in your area. Ask questions about temperment, drive in the field, "off switch," ... Ask for examples of how a dog does in the field and at home. For instance, if you were to come to my place I could give you a demonstration on how my dogs perform by throwing bumpers and showing you their drive and obedience. The you would be able to observe them after the training is over, what their temperment is around people. Most breeders will tell you what you want to hear to sell you a dog, my suggestion is to do some homework before you are ready to buy a pup then you will have a better understanding of what type of dog you want and what type of breeder you trust. People who trust me get on the waiting list and know that when they are ready I will produce a pup that they are expecting.

Also like my last golden she does not enjoy riding in the truck. She'll get in any time knowing it will lead to fun but she just freezes up and never moves while the truck is rolling. Never gets car sick though. Wierd but not a problem.
In a different post of mine people were giving me hell and casting doubt because I said my field golden hunting buddy stays calm in the truck and either sleeps or lays down. She loves getting in the truck and is so excited to go, but when I start driving she just stares out the window for the first 10 minutes and then lays down just relaxing or sleeping. It might be unusual but I'm not complaining! I love labs, they are great dogs and will always have a special place in my heart. But after spending time hunting and playing and living with a field golden, I don't think you'll go wrong with one. They are unbelievable dogs.

Attachments

• going hunting.jpg
    going hunting.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • going back home (1).jpg
    going back home (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
There are labs and there are LABS. Just like there are Goldens and there are GOLDENS. Field bred Goldens are nothing like what you see sitting on porches in the suburbs for the most part. My males are in the low 50's and have a very short oily coat while being wiry and thin . My female hits the low 40's and as she is only 20 months old and still has almost no coat. There are chunky labs that show in confirmation and whip thin ones that run field, same for Goldens. Mine sleep on the sofa and bed when they are not working. Both are great on birds, however I also do agility and can quite honestly say Goldens seem to be better at that. Goldens routinely can take the class over the other breeds, yes even the border collies. That is one of the reasons that field bred Goldens are in such short supply and command a higher cost. Do your research and remember the cost of the puppy is only a fraction of what you will put into the dog. Good Luck.

Back