Fibre Wads

Rummer

I just picked up some Kent Gamebore, 20 ga, 1 oz #7.

It occurred to me when I got it home that the shells are loaded with fibre wads.

Will these fibre wads fucntion thru a back-bored barrel?

Thanks in advance.

JCR

I used these shells in my 20 ga. O/U that is back-bored and ported all the time for quail and they perform well.

The fiber wad and soft shot in this shell might not be the best, if you are looking for a shell that can really reach out there and knock down a pheasant.

Hope this helps,
JLMyers

Thanks for the reply

I plan to use this load in the open barrel for pheasants and chukars. I won't shoot this one past 25 yards or so.

Is this shot soft? The manufacturer markets it as a hard shot.

I'm pretty sure that the gamebore loads are made with standard chilled shot, not high antimony lead or Kent's "Diamond" shot. But it has been so long since I purchased the case of shells that I have, I can't remember for sure.

They should be fine for chukars and pheasants inside of 25 yds. I've shot chukars on a preserve with these shells and they performed fine. Although, preserve chukars are probably a lot easier to kill than wild ones!

JLMyers

Fiber wads are a wonderful bio-degradable alternative. They will cushion and trap the gases from the powder, provide a cushion for the shot, and then degrade into invisibility in a few weeks. Unlike those nasty plastic cups I find all over. What they won't do is hold your pattern together so that your vintage improved cylinder double suddenly patterns like a tack driver. It will pattern like an improved cylinder, might get a few more flyers. They will not cushion the barrel walls with steel shot, and damage over time will occur. Other issue, but should not be a problem in modern factory loads, Old timers who reloaded, mostly trap shooters, and others who reloaded a lot prior to the modern presses which put out a high standardized load, would ocassionally pop a cap on a load where the wad stuck in the barrel, not an issue, unless undiscovered prior to the next load being fired. Result usually a bulge in the barrel, or a burst. You find vintage doubles and single trap guns all the time with bulges, also accounts for the majority of sawed off doubles on the market! I use them all the time in my doubles with 2" and 2 1/2 " shells, I use RST and Polywad factory, and I handload, ( literally), brass shells. when using the brass reloads, I always take a look down the barrels between loads. With the Kent loads, RST, Polywad, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Fiber wads are a wonderful bio-degradable alternative. They will cushion and trap the gases from the powder, provide a cushion for the shot, and then degrade into invisibility in a few weeks. Unlike those nasty plastic cups I find all over. What they won't do is hold your pattern together so that your vintage improved cylinder double suddenly patterns like a tack driver. It will pattern like an improved cylinder, might get a few more flyers. They will not cushion the barrel walls with steel shot, and damage over time will occur. Other issue, but should not be a problem in modern factory loads, Old timers who reloaded, mostly trap shooters, and others who reloaded a lot prior to the modern presses which put out a high standardized load, would ocassionally pop a cap on a load where the wad stuck in the barrel, not an issue, unless undiscovered prior to the next load being fired. Result usually a bulge in the barrel, or a burst. You find vintage doubles and single trap guns all the time with bulges, also accounts for the majority of sawed off doubles on the market! I use them all the time in my doubles with 2" and 2 1/2 " shells, I use RST and Polywad factory, and I handload, ( literally), brass shells. when using the brass reloads, I always take a look down the barrels between loads. With the Kent loads, RST, Polywad, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Good point about plastic, I get a kick out of the lead fears:rolleyes: but never do they seem to worry about them things laying all over. It would be great to have a degradable wad that performs well.

Back