Feeling optimistic

kick them up

Hello UPH'ers ,

Well as we all know it sure has been a different year. That being said I have a few things that make me feel optimistic still in the face of all that is going on out there. First off I did it again but this time I am in double trouble. In December the wife had the big idea to get another lab so Josie our now 3 yr old would have a playmate since old Rufus is now 11 years old. so Feb 2nd we picked up Lizzie another Choc Lab from a breeder friend in Holt KS. Well 8 weeks go by and the breeder reaches out to us as a litter mate had some issues and the perspective owners backed out. She offer us the pup if we wanted her for free due to the issues.
It seems this pup had some problems but tests were done and all came back in conclusive. She is missing fur on about 15-20% of her body, has an underbite and is at least a third small than her sister. We had K state vet school do testing of all sorts but I believe we found the problem and will found out for sure in a couple months,. Daisy has all the genetic markers for dwarfism, but I'll be damned if she isn't my favorite. So for those of you keeping score at home I now have 2 six month old labs and a 3 yr old lab Josie who is about to get breed and of course old Rufus the Brit. It makes thing interesting working from home.

Oh yeah almost forgot the best news... I was coming home from my farm in NE KS Tuesday evening and saw no less than 4 pairs of quail over about a 5 mile stretch of rock road.

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_155200710.jpg
    IMG_20200506_155200710.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200509_185237853.jpg
    IMG_20200509_185237853.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200618_195022359 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200618_195022359 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I have a pup coming hopefully oct. maybe Nov. Still waiting to see when she cycles. Plan on sending my 2 year old for training I never got done by myself. Early fall. So the sooner the better on the pup because I would like to spend a little alone time with her before the other one comes home. First time I've had 3 dogs at once but ones getting up there in age but then again so am I.

I have a pup coming hopefully oct. maybe Nov. Still waiting to see when she cycles. Plan on sending my 2 year old for training I never got done by myself. Early fall. So the sooner the better on the pup because I would like to spend a little alone time with her before the other one comes home. First time I've had 3 dogs at once but ones getting up there in age but then again so am I.
I know Josie is about to hit a heat cycle but we will wait till the next one so she can show the pups how its done this fall. She should go back into heat in January which would be great so we have pups for spring 2021.

Going to make a run on Montana's public land this fall then hit SD on my way back.

A guy told me "once you got 3 dogs might as well have 5" I guess we shall see.

Back