Federal Wing Shok

putting out RESOURCES!!!! end you guys drilling me with usless finger pointing at me.

There is no finger pointing. I am just trying to understand your rational and have a meaningful discussion. If you are opposed to using lead for fear of getting contaminated meat thats fine. But don't try and tell us that lead in birds is a bad thing but shooting a deer with a lead bullet is fine. Your own "resource" argues that you can't/should not use lead bullets for deer.

if nothing else we as a group have stumbled upon an interesting topic which to my knowledge is not regularly talked about in hunting. When one goes to the store there are plenty of shotgun shells available which are not target load and have been made with lead. Though we as a country are quick to jump on the wagon when someone says something is bad for you (diet soda, microwaves, lead, plastic water bottles, etc..)
I have to say though that i have read several articles about lead and aluminum being major concerns for alzheimers, specifically alum. pots and pans used for cooking (ie the cheap sets of them that you see at kmart).

The term confit just like the term aioli have been morphed and changed heavily by american culture. aioli is not flavored mayo, its garlic mayo. But restaurants the nation wide will say spicy aioli, sweet aioli, roasted red pepper aioli just so they dont have to say mayo. aioli sounds expensive haha. But aioli is actually a specific sauce. Confit can also refer to just being submerged in liquid or fat. Confit of shallots, confit or carrot, or fennel, or celery. When i do a confit of game birds, i use what ever fat is available from the animal, render the fat from the skin, and then sub in clarified butter for the rest. I agree that duck fat would just ruin the mild flavor of pheasant.

Confit can also refer to just being submerged in liquid or fat. Confit of shallots, confit or carrot, or fennel, or celery.

I will have to disagree with you on that one. If there is one thing that hours of watching FOODTV has taught me is that true Confit is meat simmered in its own fat. "En-confit" is stuff simmered not in its own fat. I guess it is a "Kleenex" "Facial tissue" thing.

i think its cool that you are interested in food because so many americans are not. its an important part of our lives and needs more attention. Though i must say that two years of the most intense culinary school in the US and five years of high end fine dining back of the house experience along with several hundreds of dollars worth of cook books has proven to me that confit is more just slow cooked in a liquid or a fat, though more specifically fat but not just the fat of the specific animal. Confit of lobster? no fat in a lobster. Confit of rabbit? have very little fat. Confit of shallot? no fat. Confit of garlic? no fat.

i dont care i guess but for what its worth, you can slow cook anything in almost anything and call it confit of........

Though i must say that two years of the most intense culinary school in the US and five years of high end fine dining back of the house experience along with several hundreds of dollars worth of cook .

Well that might trump my hours of watching Emeril say "bam".

The initial study in ND (by an environmental wacko group) has been thouroughly debunked. The initial study was done by testing poorly processed/butchered meat by untrained personel. The CDC did a study afterwards, and found there was no indication of lead-poisening by those eating venison taken with lead projectiles. In fact, their findings concluded the folks tested in ND has less levels of lead in their blood than those tested in other areas.

Last edited:
The initial study in ND (by an environmental wacko group) has been thouroughly debunked. The initial study was done by testing poorly processed/butchered meat by untrained personel. The CDC did a study afterwards, and found there was no indication of lead-poisening by those eating venison taken with lead projectiles. In fact, their findings concluded the folks tested in ND has less levels of lead in their blood than those tested in other areas.

where are the resources that i can go read them? Links? Facts? i mean i hear Lead can be unhealthy in numberous ways... and i didnt just see it from a ND research group. there are TONS and TONS of that LEAD poisoning information out there.

I must agree with birdman652001. Studies on lead poisoning have been going on for decades. There are states where you arent supposed raise farm animals within a hundred feet of a house that has lead paint on it, NY included. I found this on the USDE site.

"Paint, drinking water, and pollution seem to be the major sources of
lead. The long term effects of lead poisoning in children include
learning disabilities, decreased growth, hyperactivity, impaired hearing,
and even brain damage. If caught early, these effects can be limited by
reducing exposure to lead or by medical treatment. Lead can pass through
mother to baby.

Adults could show a variety of symptoms ranging from weakness to fatigue
and paralysis, gastrointestinal diseases, high blood pressure, and a host
of nervous system ailments.

There are simple tests that can determine the lead level in the body;
hair, finger nail, or other body tissues can be used. As a case in point,
a recent study at Argonne, using what is thought to be Beethoven's hair,
seem to suggest that the composer's ailments were due to lead poisoning.
Information on this should be available at WWW.ANL.GOV."

Ali Khounsary, Ph.D.
Advanced Photon Source

I must agree with birdman652001. Studies on lead poisoning have been going on for decades. There are states where you arent supposed raise farm animals within a hundred feet of a house that has lead paint on it, NY included. I found this on the USDE site.

"Paint, drinking water, and pollution seem to be the major sources of
lead. The long term effects of lead poisoning in children include
learning disabilities, decreased growth, hyperactivity, impaired hearing,
and even brain damage. If caught early, these effects can be limited by
reducing exposure to lead or by medical treatment. Lead can pass through
mother to baby.

Adults could show a variety of symptoms ranging from weakness to fatigue
and paralysis, gastrointestinal diseases, high blood pressure, and a host
of nervous system ailments.

There are simple tests that can determine the lead level in the body;
hair, finger nail, or other body tissues can be used. As a case in point,
a recent study at Argonne, using what is thought to be Beethoven's hair,
seem to suggest that the composer's ailments were due to lead poisoning.
Information on this should be available at WWW.ANL.GOV."

Ali Khounsary, Ph.D.
Advanced Photon Source

Its against the law too to buy a house that still has LEAD paint unless the new owner wants to WAIVE that, but most real estate agents would suggest you to repaint your house if it has lead paint on the interior... its in every report you get with a house of when the last roof was re-shingled or any other damages, sidings and such... one of those questions to the current homeowners asking does your house or of your knowledge have lead base paint... i could go on and on... LEAD is poisoning...

Last edited:
Back