Feathers flew!

I hunted for more than 6 hours today to get one shot, but that single opportunity turned the day into a great one.

Kota (my pointer) got on a bird that ran her up a small, tule-lined channel, then across a dirt road before making a 90-degree left turn and continuing up a weedy fence line for another 60 or 70 yards. When she finally locked up, I knew she had it because there was a cross fence coming up and the bird had run out of traversable real estate. I circled around and walked directly toward the dog's nose and it didn't get up until I was less than 6 feet from her. It pretty much had to go straight up to start with because it's lateral routes were cut off by me, the dog and the fence. All that color and cackling, wing-flapping fury was right in front of my face for a split second and it was really a neat deal.

For me, the best part was absolutely stoning it with a load of No. 6s. A puff of feathers hung in the air as the bird just turned over and dropped head first to the ground, deader than the proverbial door nail. I hadn't center-punched one like that in quite awhile and it really felt good. Those 100 trap targets last Tuesday have already paid off.

P.S.: Not sure why the photo came out looking so yellow, like it was taken in the 1950s or something. I can only guess that it was the angle of the late-afternoon sun and all the golden vegetation.

Last edited:
Way to go Kota! Very satisfying indeed when you can make good on your dogs hard work, congrats.:cheers:

Back