Favorite Pheasant Recipe

BritChaser

Currently this is my favorite way to cook pheasant - Pheasant marsala - a recipe from the internet. (I brine my pheasant meat for 24 hours before cooking.)

Cut meat into strips half inch to an inch wide

Dredge meat strips in flour seasoned with oregano, salt, and pepper

Saute meat strips in butter and olive oil seasoned with garlic to taste until golden brown

Remove strips and add sliced fresh mushrooms to oil, butter, etc., in pan, cook until shrinkage begins

Add marsala wine and cooking sherry in equal portions to pan and bring to low boil

Place meat strips back in pan with mushrooms and wine; stir to cover strips with mushroom/wine sauce; then cover and lower temp for 5 - 10 minutes

Ready to eat; serve over bed of pasta or rice

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe Brit. I grabbed a few "red-rumps" today. I'm thinking I'm going to give your recipe a try with these plumpers.;)

I should have added that the pheasant marsala is served over pasta or rice.

BTW, tell us more about those pheasants in your photo.

They're pretty aren't they---and for some reason they taste better then other pheasants too.:confused:

Those are a (not so pure) line of Caucasus pheasant, otherwise known as "black-neck" or "Bohemian".

There were three in a pheasant pen full of ringnecks, so I purchased them for eating and taxidermy. If you ever get a chance to get one/shoot one/whatever give them a try. They're delicious.:)

Nick

Nick, those are cool looking birds, like to see some in the wild. :)

BC, I bet the recipe would be good for some tough old Sharptails. :cheers:

I think the State of Michigan, and some counties in Wisconsin, have tried to stock them in selected areas some years back. The areas were carefully chosen, and in the case of the Wisconsin county, were removed from hunting for a couple of seasons.

While I've heard rare reports of the Michigan birds occasionally being seen, haven't heard of the Wisconsin plants in many years.

As I recall, the whole deal was to put some closer-to-the-wild bloodlines back in the local stock. I've not heard any reports.

Striking creatures, though. Nice.

White Pheasant Chili

Here is mine...

2lbs Pheasant boiled and cubed
15 oz chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken
2 cans navy beans or great north (rinsed)
1 can corn (drained)
1 pkt taco seasoning
1 can chopped green chilis (optional)
1 cup sour cream
1 can rotel
Throw all together in crock pot
Serve with sour cream, cheese and fritos scoops.

Kis, your thinking of the Strauchi/"Sichuan"/"Michiagan" pheasant:thumbsup:. They also lack a white ring but have similar colors to a "common" ringneck:)

Okay, we better get back to the cooking. I kinda took this thread off topic a bit. Sorry BritChaser:eek:

Nick

Some of these recipes sound really good! Thanks for sharing guys! I've cooked pheasant and other game birds many different ways but one step I've found very handy is to brine the birds for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Pluck or skin whole bird. Save liver and heart.

Dice up liver, heart, an apple and a small onion. Mix with ground pork and some bread-crumbs softened with cream. Stuff bird with that mixture.

Plucked - place bird on it's side in a baking dish salt and pepper it and bake at 375 for 25 minutes, baste and flip, another 25 minutes, baste and put on it's back, andother 25 minutes.

Skinned - wrap the bird as much as possible in bacon and carry out recipe as above.

Remove most of the fat from the drippings (especially if you did the bacon method) and make a gravy from them.

I am wanting to do a cracker dip like a crab dip but with pheasant meat. Has anyone done this or have a favorite recipe for this? I think it sound good.. Thanks!!:cheers:

Nick those Roosters are pretty! Have you mounted one?

I am wanting to do a cracker dip like a crab dip but with pheasant meat. Has anyone done this or have a favorite recipe for this? I think it sound good.. Thanks!!:cheers:

Nick those Roosters are pretty! Have you mounted one?

Now that sounds interesting. I'm curious if this is any good and yes I have one mounted. He's a commercial mount/fling. Should be good to go in a few weeks:)

I've been thinking about doing something similar with that bluecheese buffalo wing sauce dip recipe.

Makes: 4 cups dip
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min

Ingredients

1 (8 oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup FRANK'S? RedHot? Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or FRANK'S? RedHot? Buffalo Wings Sauce
1/2 cup bleu cheese or ranch dressing
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese or your favorite shredded cheese

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350?F.

COMBINE all ingredients in a 1-quart baking dish.

BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers and/or vegetables

Bleu I bet some sort of bacon or bacon and jalapeno crab (pheasant) dip would be tasty. With some rye bread. Mmm!

Last edited:
I will try this one that I substituted pheasant instead of crab. I may tweak it some more with either adding some crab or maybe bacon pieces or bits. Let you know how it turns out tomorrow.:cheers:

Ingredients
1 pound pheasant ground clump or shredded meat pre cooked.
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup green onions, minced, optional
5 to 6 roasted garlic cloves or 2 cloves minced
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt and pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve hot with crackers or toast points.

Hey Mark,

Your P. Marsala recipe is similar to mine...a great way to fix the birds! Believe mine has white wine also.

jon

Hey Mark,

Your P. Marsala recipe is similar to mine...a great way to fix the birds! Believe mine has white wine also.

jon

Good to hear from you Jon. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

And a festive Thanksgiving to you, as well! I have friends coming to the house for our annual feed that includes a tasty wild rice casserole. Cheers. Jon

I've been thinking about doing something similar with that bluecheese buffalo wing sauce dip recipe.

Makes: 4 cups dip
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min

Ingredients

1 (8 oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup FRANK'S? RedHot? Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or FRANK'S? RedHot? Buffalo Wings Sauce
1/2 cup bleu cheese or ranch dressing
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese or your favorite shredded cheese

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350?F.

COMBINE all ingredients in a 1-quart baking dish.

BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers and/or vegetables

Bleu I bet some sort of bacon or bacon and jalapeno crab (pheasant) dip would be tasty. With some rye bread. Mmm!

Thanks BDC2, I will keep this one for later as well!!:thumbsup::cheers:

I like to bone the breasts, then brown it and the legs quickly in a dutch oven. I remove the birds and saute a pound or so of fresh mushrooms and an onion. Once they are done, I add the birds back into the pot. I add 6 to 8 cups of heavy cream and a few packages of Jager (German for hunter) Schnitzel sauce from Knorr. Mix it well and heat it to almost a boil. I then pour the cream mixture over the birds until they are covered. Put it in the oven for about 35 minutes and serve with mashed potatoes. The sauce thickens pretty well. Be careful not to cook it to long or the breasts get dry.

I have added rabbit and quail when I have them handy.

Back