Farmers

Campbell76

I live in KS and was thinking here in a couple years I would try to hunt SD but i dont want to hunt at a over priced hunting lodge with tons of people not that there's anything wrong with it just dont like hunting in big groups. I always wondered if i came up there and asked around nicely could it be possible to get a place to hunt from a farmer or are those days gone.

I live in KS and was thinking here in a couple years I would try to hunt SD but i dont want to hunt at a over priced hunting lodge with tons of people not that there's anything wrong with it just dont like hunting in big groups. I always wondered if i came up there and asked around nicely could it be possible to get a place to hunt from a farmer or are those days gone.

They are not gone but they are a little harder to come by. I would surely wait till mid nov or later. Couple of years ago I asked permission from a guy with some great looking crp. He had cows in the milo stubble surrounding it and sent us a mile away to hunt a ditch then told us to come back. While we were gone he moved the cows and allowed us to hunt the original patch. We got several birds, thanked him with some sausage and some homade wine and went on our way. Those guys are out there.

I farm and I agree with Carptom. Wait until after Thanksgiving to ask because relation is more likely to be done hunting by then. Also you have a better chance if you are by yourself or with just one other person. When you are done make sure you go back and thank the landowner and let them know how you did. Its not as easy as it was 20 years ago, but there are still landowners that allow hunting.

Last edited:
yes, it can be done...no more than 2 guys and 2 dogs....your best bet and away from traditional heavily hunted areas.

Yep it can be done, Helps if you have a youth hunter in your small group. Some of us are suckers for letting a kid hunt. :D

Don't go empty handed........It's not always necessary but it's ALWAYS greatly appreciated.........

Yes, always offer up your first & last name at introduction and be polite. It is getting rare though. Have a plan to hunt public and set aside time to knock on doors.

Also keep in mind that this is a VERY busy time for farmers. Some don't respond well to people driving up to ask permission during the day. Most farmers will be more than willing to spend 5 minutes visiting with you but this time of year, time is money!

If there is any way for you to make contact with farmers NOW instead of during the season you will most likely be better received. This can take some leg-work and a few phone calls but it can pay off.

david0311

Also keep in mind that this is a VERY busy time for farmers. Some don't respond well to people driving up to ask permission during the day. Most farmers will be more than willing to spend 5 minutes visiting with you but this time of year, time is money!

If there is any way for you to make contact with farmers NOW instead of during the season you will most likely be better received. This can take some leg-work and a few phone calls but it can pay off.

My farmer friends will not accept any cash-- but dinner and gifts are a token of thanks are appreciated -(gerber/leatherman-quality knife ect) if hunting for sometime or year to year do not forget the ladies of the farm as well---

I also make time to ass't on the farm for several day--have helped in picking beans-corn- flowers-vaccinated cattle -drove grain cart-hauled hay and ran for parts-ect

Coffee in the morning --early --at the local cafe is good contact point as well--try to remember the guy in the greasy carharts is not interested in what a big wheel you may be in the big city (besides he's probably worth more than you are anyway)

Act decent be polite it can be done--good luck:cheers:

Ditto on the "after Thanksgiving." Not as many birds, but "family" has gotten what they want--this is in a normal year, though; not sure now--and it's easier. Take farmer and wife to dinner, and when you get home, a gift box from somewhere--I once sent a turducken--is nice. It's only a gesture; many, maybe most of these farmers, are worth 10 or 100X what I am...Still, it counts.
Beach004

Do land owners like to be offered some of the game you got off of their land? Is so, should you offer the birds hole or cleaned?

In my limited experience, most of the farmers have had all the pheasants they want by the time I shoot any--but I go after Thanksgiving. That said, one year I paid to have the birds cleaned, and then had the cleaner call the farmer and tell him the birds were frozen and waiting for him. It didn't hurt, I think.
Beach004

Exactly. Whatever you do, don't ever bother us while we are combining or during harvest. That will get you a no every time.

Back