Fall gobblers

I don't know to answer to that, but I can't really blame farming for this one. Where I live is about as farmed as possible. 40 minutes east is almost like the hills of Kentucky. Most of the turkeys there have never see a farm field. Needless to say, I'm over there frequently. This year populations were down in both places. I know that the bobcat population has exploded in recent years, but I can't make myself believe predation has much to do with either. You need to pack a lunch, hop off the train and have them pick you up on the way back.:D
Dude I carry a fishing pole, spotting scope, trail cameras, coyote call and a wrist rocket. Any time we stop I’m out the door!

In Minnesota there's a pile of turkeys around. Shooting a bird in the fall is fine. I would probably do it if it weren't for pheasant hunting. Last year out towards Marshall we had the dogs flush 2 turkeys. No one had a tag otherwise we woulda shot. States that are in decline it makes sense to limit or close the fall season. Here's a tidbit for you, turkey hunting as a spring sport is relatively new. Turkey hunting in America 🇺🇸 was usually a fall activity until the modern era. Fall turkey hunting in the Old Dominion, aka Virginny, goes back generations and is very popular.

Ive decided this year I am buying a tag. Suppose i could go do that now. Too many times flushing/jumping them in the fall. They about give you a heart attack when they flush, might as well get even and make some turkey jerky

Is there anywhere turkeys are thriving? I see them daily at work, regularly travel through four states. Just wondering if there are places that are winning and why?
Oh yeah there are states that have lots However they can be difficult to locate at times.

They are in small bachelor groups, or alone. I'll be after them with the recurve or longbow this year! That's probably the hardest thing I've tried to do without a blind.
I have dabbled in archery for 50 years.Ive never practiced much.

Ive decided this year I am buying a tag. Suppose i could go do that now. Too many times flushing/jumping them in the fall. They about give you a heart attack when they flush, might as well get even and make some turkey jerky
Last fall I flushed a big bird at 10 yards.I think a jake.I let him go,and I felt good about it.

I know where a huge tom lives in the spring. He's very smart, and is at least 6 years old.Its very difficult to get close to him.He has a 6th sense. He could be 10 years old.

Last fall I flushed a big gobbler in the trees at 19 yards.I let him go.In my younger years,he would have been smoked,but now I'm very thoughtful about when I shoot a turkey, and how.Sneaking up on them is not very honorable.

In Minnesota there's a pile of turkeys around. Shooting a bird in the fall is fine. I would probably do it if it weren't for pheasant hunting. Last year out towards Marshall we had the dogs flush 2 turkeys. No one had a tag otherwise we woulda shot. States that are in decline it makes sense to limit or close the fall season. Here's a tidbit for you, turkey hunting as a spring sport is relatively new. Turkey hunting in America 🇺🇸 was usually a fall activity until the modern era. Fall turkey hunting in the Old Dominion, aka Virginny, goes back generations and is very popular.
When I go for my slam,Minnesota is my eastern,then texas,Texas, Florida for my Osceola. I think I've gotten 22 gobblers in 30 years of hunting. Only 3 have been in fall.Possibly the biggest one I ever got was in fall back in 1999 in eastern montana. There are turkey throughout the state,but access can be difficult, and local knowledge is paramount.

Back