Fall Forecast

Seve

What are folks seeing out west for bird populations? Hearing numbers are way up in NW Iowa and would assume similar numbers here in Minnesota.

I’m also guessing that hunter numbers will be through the roof this year with COVID!

Wish I could tell you something but haven't been out in Pheasant country this year yet. Right about now the DNR should be conducting their roadside surveys which will be published sometime in early September.

I have taken the dog out a few times to run on public lands. First time ran into a few broods, the second time we didn't run into anything. Planning on going again tomorrow to see what we can find.

Finally some nice cool weather for running dogs in Minnesota. Went out to a public area near my home and went 50 yards dog went on point. Up comes one bird, go about another 10-15 yards dog goes on a point again. This time three birds, one at a time all within about a 10 to 15-yard radius. These are all young birds approximately 3/4 grown. I know there was one rooster in there as the only way I could tell was a faint little cackle. I've seen young birds in this area in prior years before the season starts. Unfortunately it gets hit hard during the season being so close proximity to the cities, so they usually get pushed off later in the season. Anyway, it was fun to get the dog out for some exercise.20200907_150457.jpg

Last edited:
The road side counts are posted. Its up 42% state wide and appears to be the highest in a decade. There will be no shortage of birds. Or hunters.

Remember that far SW MN was really quite low in the counts in 2019. 146% of low is not high. Better bird numbers (at least those spotted and counted) a little further in.

From what I have seen in my travels in the last couple weeks, beans will easily be gone by opener and corn I would guess in the 25-50% range if we have good weather the rest of the month. A complete 180 from last year!

Back