F.a.i.r Iside

If leaving spent shells in the prairie didn't bother me, a 24" barrel on a subgauge American pump would still be my first choice for upland hunting. Obviously that's a little different than break action barrel length preferences, but I think my 16 ga Citori Superlight is 26" and it doesn't miss much, near or far. I do shoot a little 28 ga Ethos sometimes, with a 28" barrel and I don't think I'd want it much shorter (though, off topic, I'd love to find someone to modify the stock to an English grip), so maybe it's more a question of overall weight and how sub the subgauge you're talking about is. I've got a 26" Parker on a 2 frame that was obviously someone's trap or live pigeon gun, and while it's butt heavy, it shoots well. I've never been totally sold on long barrel configurations for American hunting guns.

I've got a 26" Parker on a 2 frame that was obviously someone's trap or live pigeon gun, and while it's butt heavy, it shoots well. I've never been totally sold on long barrel configurations for American hunting guns.
I don't shoot clays, but I've got an old Ithaca Long Range Field and Trap that is stock heavy. What's the idea behind the stock heavy configuration.

My bobwhite is pretty stock heavy after I had to have it lengthened a couple inches. One of the reasons I'm switching to an iside is because of that weight. I'll still be carrying it some, cause I still love the 16ga and will probably need it. I'm excited to get this thing in and try it out! Next step is gonna be finding some ammo reasonably priced 🤬

I don't shoot clays, but I've got an old Ithaca Long Range Field and Trap that is stock heavy. What's the idea behind the stock heavy configuration.
In the case of my Parker it's pretty obvious someone loved it enough to put an exceptional, but very heavy, piece of wood on an already piggish Trojan they loved.

Last edited:
I’m going to disagree with Mr McIntosh. Maybe back when I was 30 the longer barreled heavier guns worked better. When I got to 65 I started to think light. Had a wonderful Beretta 28 ga OU in 26” and I could shoot and kill quail all day. It was a wonderful gun. As I got older, I decided to give it to my daughter. I still have a 28” OU that I carry but at 79, I’m pretty much relegated to blocker for pheasants. Go light as you age. You’ll like it better.

I don't think from the readings I've done people advocate for a longer barreled o/u or s/s due to it making the gun overly heavy. I believe the argument is it balances the gun better. You definitely don't want a gun that's got poor balance or is butt heavy. If the gun is just a touch unbalanced, you want that weight toward the muzzles.

I don't think from the readings I've done people advocate for a longer barreled o/u or s/s due to it making the gun overly heavy. I believe the argument is it balances the gun better. You definitely don't want a gun that's got poor balance or is butt heavy. If the gun is just a touch unbalanced, you want that weight toward the muzzles.
I agree, but I've seen some ungodly unbalanced trap guns with all kinds of junk in and on the stock that guys shot very well. So, I think stock heavy guns can be shot well with enough practice. Take for instance the 50 and 59 Winchesters. They were very popular but butt heavy. I always thought the Franci 48's were also weirdly balanced. A sxs or u/u balanced at the hinge pins will feel lighter because in both hands the weight is perfectly between both and in one hand the balance is at the thinnest part of the gun allowing a better grip whilst walking. My Beretta ultralight has the aluminum receiver and hollowed butt. Even with 26es its pretty weight forward. I shoot it well as I do my perfectly balanced 20's. I'm with surefire. I draw the line around 6.25 lbs. and hinge pins or above. Life is short carry what you like!!

Ok, so only owned a handful of guns with chokes. So I feel like now that I'm gonna have the option with this one I would like more than the 3 options it comes with. Where do you guys find them for this? Surely not from Italy right?

Ok, so only owned a handful of guns with chokes. So I feel like now that I'm gonna have the option with this one I would like more than the 3 options it comes with. Where do you guys find them for this? Surely not from Italy right?
Hard to say, but sometimes they will share a thread pattern with another brand, probably beretta. CZ has the same thread as beretta (I think) in the 12 but are Huglue's own threads in the 20. I wish they were all standard,

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Picked one up a few weeks ago, and then the new windows came in, and then the spring yardwork & mulching, in other words , haven't shot it yet, but i look at it alot. 16ga, 28" barrels. Did much research on this before i sprung and first impressions are very good.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Picked one up a few weeks ago, and then the new windows came in, and then the spring yardwork & mulching, in other words , haven't shot it yet, but i look at it alot. 16ga, 28" barrels. Did much research on this before i sprung and first impressions are very good.
She's purty! Tommorow can't get here soon enough! I'm hoping I can take it out after church this weekend. 😁

GetAttachmentThumbnail

What is the actual weight on that 16 ga. I've held one at a dealer up in the Twin Cities last month...I wasn't sure the Iside was on a true 16 ga. frame...seemed a bit heavy.

Would love to hear from someone that owns one. The dealer I visited wouldn't weigh it.

I can't tell you the exact weight of mine. I don't buy into that argument anyway about a gun being too heavy to carry into the field. I did alot of research before i pulled the trigger on this on, pun intended. I'm satisfied with it. Besides, i've always seen minor weight variances between the same gun anyway. The 12 ga was coming in at appx 6 1/2lbs, so i'm figuring the 16 has to be a few ounces less. You are correct though, if the gun does have a "flaw" ( at least to some) it is built on the 12 gauge frame so during bragging rights i guess one couldn't say like the oldtimers did, it carries like a 20 & shoots like a 12.

What is the actual weight on that 16 ga. I've held one at a dealer up in the Twin Cities last month...I wasn't sure the Iside was on a true 16 ga. frame...seemed a bit heavy.

Would love to hear from someone that owns one. The dealer I visited wouldn't weigh it.
Which dealer ? Been looking at one too and would like to see if I like.

F.A.I.R. website says both the 12 & 16 weigh 6.4 lbs.
20 weighs 6.0 lbs.
28 & .410 weigh 5.5 lbs.
Yes...that's what they say. Not sure that's possible. It takes a trim (all steel) 12 ga. double to tip the scales at less than 6.5lbs. If it is a 16 on a 12 ga. frame, then the chamber wall thickness has to actually increase to fit the 12 ga. frame. I owned a F.A.I.R. Rizzini in 16 that I bought from Bill Hanus when he was still alive. He made it very clear that his guns were on a true, 16 frame. It was a nice little gun...but eventually sold it as with many of my guns.

I'm just pretty sure that the entry level guns being peddled by F.A.I.R. Rizzini today are simply on two frames....20 and 12. For the 28 and 16 lovers ...they are stuck with whatever is slapped on these frames until you get up to the 'Jubilee' level or higher. And these are mostly special order...if I ordered one today I MIGHT have it by the time I retire.

Back