Extended season

Geez those late season roosters are tough, tho. Kent Fastlead 11/2 oz of 4s at 35-45 yards. Pretty peppy load and skeet 2. Seems like over-kill but only lost one runner. Older dog mighta got him.

Geez those late season roosters are tough, tho. Kent Fastlead 11/2 oz of 4s at 35-45 yards. Pretty peppy load and skeet 2. Seems like over-kill but only lost one runner. Older dog mighta got him.
So you were shooting lead on public ground?
WIA I hope.

I’ve experimented with many different shot sizes and loads over the last decade and for some reason, settled into this combination. I like 4s, but wanted 200 in the pattern, so it took 1.5oz to get me there. 1.25 oz of 5s gave me 10 more shot, but my gun, the pattern board, and the wind, sold me on 4s. I still miss all the time, but rarely cripple. Just like everybody else on the site, we all are looking for that sweet spot for our go-to gun, and it’s different for everybody.

Attachments

• A54738D0-AF45-424C-83C3-542D614C19C0.jpeg
    A54738D0-AF45-424C-83C3-542D614C19C0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Good job experimenting! Not many do this. Me included. But I’ve settled into my recipe long ago and it works well for me…1 1/4 oz lead 5’s…I/C…but I did put in a LM tube last week…worked great.

Had a guy with us early in the season, he was shooting similar loads, (claimed it was all he had) he conveniently couldn't/wouldn't take any of the 3 birds he shot with him...they were all mostly destroyed, which is what you would expect if you got the full pattern on them. No cripples for sure, it was a total waste. He needed to wait a second or 5 longer before shooting, this was a young guy, plenty quick to react, none made it 40 yards, maybe not even 30. I shoot the same load as B-B, kept my IC in all season with fine results and usually not all shot to heck. Been loading my own for almost a decade now. I shoot over GSPs, it might make a difference.

Hard to understand the logic because the pellet count is 202 with 4s and 212 with 1 1/4oz of 5s. The controllable variable has to be the choke. You can blow birds up with just about any load if you choke it improperly. I have never had that issue with the load that I shoot. In fact, most birds contain very few shot. I shoot IC almost all season, and skeet 2 late season wind. I’m gonna keep trusting my pattern board, and stay with my aftermarket chokes.

I didn’t ruin any birds this season, heck, can’t recall ever doing that to be honest…even my two younger females playing tug of war with more roosters than I’d care to admit
didn’t ruin any!

Not overkill. Late season roos are freakin tough, can't overkill them. Nice pics.

Back