EVs for hunting?

Nope, the F150 still burns gas. LaCrosse or Danners get me the rest of the way there. If you pack light, your Prius should get you there. Not sure what you are actually asking, as a road vehicle or an off-road deal? I just drive to where I am going to hunt, park and get walking. In my corner of Iowa, you won't put much more than 3 miles in on any one parcel. Those electric atvs might be nice if you can't walk distances when deer hunting and need to be somewhat quiet....I can't image using one for pheasant hunting..at least around here.

Just stray voltage - but it's a comin' whether we want it or not. Ford has announced its "commitment" to EVs, now that emissions on gas fired vehicles are down to negligible level. And Elon Musk previously rolled out (another bad pun) his other-worldly looking EV "truck" with the nearly bullet proof windows (that weren't!). EVs are about 2% of the market now - hence the "need" for mandates. Not a fan, but then I'm retro. And practical.

EVs have their place in the world, but I don't think it would work as a replacement for my Suburban. My day trip last weekend was 280 miles. While a suburban isn't a serious off road vehicle, it does offer 4WD and more ground clearance than any EV I'm aware of. Both were important briefly on that trip. Today I'm loading up with 3 other people and driving about 3.5 hours to spend a weekend hunting. I don't think charging stations are available where I'd need them.

Golf carts have come a long way, but I don't think they're ready to replace my suburban.

EVs have their place in the world, but I don't think it would work as a replacement for my Suburban. My day trip last weekend was 280 miles. While a suburban isn't a serious off road vehicle, it does offer 4WD and more ground clearance than any EV I'm aware of. Both were important briefly on that trip. Today I'm loading up with 3 other people and driving about 3.5 hours to spend a weekend hunting. I don't think charging stations are available where I'd need them.

Golf carts have come a long way, but I don't think they're ready to replace my suburban.
I couldn't agree more, but I don't think we are going to be given a choice. That's the plan, anyway.

Humm.... (bad pun)
So if GM wanted me to test (no cost to me) their EV Hummer in SD ( would take several weeks for adequate test) - 1000 hp, 350 mi range, 35 inch tires (37 inch option if you are worried about ground clearance), 4 wheel steering, 6 inch lift air suspension, 0-60 in 3 seconds, --- if I could find a camper top to fit it and my dog box fit, I believe I would give it a go.
Not sure if the 110 outlet at the Super 8 would work?

Humm.... (bad pun)
So if GM wanted me to test (no cost to me) their EV Hummer in SD ( would take several weeks for adequate test) - 1000 hp, 350 mi range, 35 inch tires (37 inch option if you are worried about ground clearance), 4 wheel steering, 6 inch lift air suspension, 0-60 in 3 seconds, --- if I could find a camper top to fit it and my dog box fit, I believe I would give it a go.
Not sure if the 110 outlet at the Super 8 would work?
Haven't been keeping up but think GM's partnership with a startup EV company with more plan than deliver fizzled, so Ford seems to be in the lead on that at the moment. But I think you are still ahead of the game, might be a loooong walk to the nearest farmhouse to borrow a couple of gallons of electricity.

So I'm walking my dog Sunday morning in the parking lot of the small motel in western Kansas where I spent the weekend. There was a free-standing garage at the end of the parking lot with a box about the size of a soap dispenser on the side of it with (I thought) a hose draped over the top. As I walked by, I noticed that the box had glowing blue letters on it that spelled...TESLA. I was shocked! (sorry). Really, I did not expect to see that there. Not trading in my Suburban yet, but getting closer.

So I'm walking my dog Sunday morning in the parking lot of the small motel in western Kansas where I spent the weekend. There was a free-standing garage at the end of the parking lot with a box about the size of a soap dispenser on the side of it with (I thought) a hose draped over the top. As I walked by, I noticed that the box had glowing blue letters on it that spelled...TESLA. I was shocked! (sorry). Really, I did not expect to see that there. Not trading in my Suburban yet, but getting closer.
Ever wonder what happens when an EV is involved in an accident? High voltage and extraction of victims by first responders don't mix well. Neither do electrical sparks and gasoline. Not sure that's what I'd call progress!

I put a deposit on the Tesla truck. Specs are impressive. 0-60 in 2.9 second, 500 mile range 16 inch ground clearance and tow capacity of 10,000 for less than $70,000 not for everyone but I can’t wait.

Is that the same vehicle on which a Tesla exec shattered a window not once, but twice, on national TV to demonstrate how "bullet proof" it was?

I put a deposit on the Tesla truck. Specs are impressive. 0-60 in 2.9 second, 500 mile range 16 inch ground clearance and tow capacity of 10,000 for less than $70,000 not for everyone but I can’t wait.
And that are the company SPECS—
‘Any issue on what it is loaded to the max for hunting
Or—what effect very cold weather has on there specs
Ect.
just asking

And that are the company SPECS—
‘Any issue on what it is loaded to the max for hunting
Or—what effect very cold weather has on there specs
Ect.
just asking
Have you ever driven or ridden in a Tesla? I’m guessing you haven’t. This isn’t Tesla’s first vehicle and they are successful because they exceed expectations. I am not a fanboy so do your own research and make your own decision.

Have you ever driven or ridden in a Tesla? I’m guessing you haven’t. This isn’t Tesla’s first vehicle and they are successful because they exceed expectations. I am not a fanboy so do your own research and make your own decision.
I've been in a model S and yes the performance is extremely impressive.

Definitely post some pix of the purchase - but as a car guy I can't get into the looks -- Kind of as off putting as a Pontiac Aztek, but what I find attractive and someone else is not going to be the same.

I dont think the solution is full electrification but diesel or gas/electric - like a locomotive - but that's another topic and discussion on the nuances of the future.

Little over defensive aren’t you -I was just asking what the specs would be in real world use.
No I’ve never ridden in or drove a Tesla-really have no idea what difference that makes.
‘If you think it’s going to fit your needs-go for it. And I wish you the best-
By the way what is a “fan boy”

I promise you you’re not getting 350 miles range in a GM Hummer or 500 miles in a Tesla with any kind of load, towing, or off road use. Good luck if you think you are.

FWIW - EVs are being heavily promoted for use (meaning, taxpayer subsidization" by various governmental entities - Fed, state and even local.
This governmental largesse has always been the key to Elon's financial successes.

Cops in Indiana liked them because the (subsidized, I'd guess) price was right and they get good traction in the snow (as long as clearance is sufficient, I suppose), no maintenance downtime and fuel prices are less (mainly because electricity isn't heavily taxed at all levels to pay for roads and bridges, yet anyway). Main limitation - even around town - was limited range and concerns about running out of juice in mid event.

Personally, I'll let others perform the Beta testing. I'd be concerned about safety in a crash, for one thing.

Better anchor things down well, bet the dogs won't like it as well as high school aged kids will!

Back