english pointers

massman

Are there any breeders who breed close working english pointers? and if so how would they differ from gsp's?

Close working English pointers;) I like this. You get an English pointer to cover ground not polish boots. Eps flat out fly and they do it well and all day. You will find some sure that are not as big of runners but this is mainly due to training. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a dog that ranges just as long as it is well trained and you can maintain control. I personally own GSPs and mine have some big run to them. I am not in a place in my life right now to own an EP as I think they require a bit more work. Trust me though when I'm in that place I will have one in my kennel. A good one is fun to watch but then again that can be said about any breed when they are good. Just my 2 cents I'm sure others with more know how will steer you in the right direction.

Are there any breeders who breed close working english pointers? and if so how would they differ from gsp's?

I would look into some coverdog stuff.
And I have seen plenty of closer working pointers. Well, I guess a definition of "closer working" is also needed to be taken into consideration.

massman, I know you are looking for information on various hunting dog breeds. You have made inquiries about English Pointers, GSP's, Weimaraners, English Setter and Labs to name a few. There are a lot of good hunting breeds out there so that means doing a lot of research. My advice would be to get on the web and do some reading about the various breeds then narrow your search down to 2 or 3. From there I would visit some breeders, talk to them, have them run their dogs in the field for you, etc. You might also attend a NAVHDA club where you can see and watch various breeds. And best yet, if possible, hunt behind some of the breeds you are interested in. It's not that guys on this site can't give you some good advice, but it still comes down to what you want and like. That's why you really need to get out and see these dogs in action.

massman, where are you located? Maybe some members in your area would be willing to run their dog for you. Or you could attend an AKC trial or a NSTRA trial in your area and see some of the breeds you are interested in work.

Close working English pointers;) I like this. You get an English pointer to cover ground not polish boots. Eps flat out fly and they do it well and all day. You will find some sure that are not as big of runners but this is mainly due to training. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a dog that ranges just as long as it is well trained and you can maintain control. I personally own GSPs and mine have some big run to them. I am not in a place in my life right now to own an EP as I think they require a bit more work. Trust me though when I'm in that place I will have one in my kennel. A good one is fun to watch but then again that can be said about any breed when they are good. Just my 2 cents I'm sure others with more know how will steer you in the right direction.

this is not meant to be a criticism of any other breeds:
in the past,30-40yrs ago or so, there were only 2 pointing breeds that anybody knew about.
that was the english pointer and the english setter.
i know many can jump in and say the gsp,brittany,gordon setter,gwp, were brought here after the war and thus were present back then
in middle america,the fly over states,there was mostly 2 breeds.the pointer and the setter.
my dad's generation tended more toward the logic" if it aint broke,etc"
if they worked than they'll work now
i'd often thought an ep would work well in our western grasslands along as they'll point and hold.
its always been the old logic ,"pointer range far. setters work in closer"
none of this is written in stone
i haven't noticed any body mentioning having an english pointer since i've been reading through these posts.
probably not overly helpful advice just how i remember it

it's an excellent idea to try and find like minded folks ,navhda chapter ,etc.
go see their dogs etc.

You dog should hunt the way you want. My EP hunts grouse and phez. and range needs to be close sometimes. run there in heavy cover when ther young so they learn to stay close.

You dog should hunt the way you want. My EP hunts grouse and phez. and range needs to be close sometimes. run there in heavy cover when ther young so they learn to stay close.

And given time and the right kind of training I believe a good dog, regardless of breed, will hunt with you. I love seeing a dog move out on a big wide cast, so my preference is for a wide ranging dog that learns to hunt at the range dictated by the cover.

Back