Embedded foreign objects

murphya

I was hunting on 12-9-2011 and my GSP cmar out of some cattails, stopped and sneezed several times. I called him to me and noticed a small drop of blood on his right nostril. He wanted to move on and we hunted for about two hours. He handled several pheasants very well and on the last I again noticed a small amount of blood near his right nostril. He fine and upon returning home I rinsed his nose with some saline. Late that night he sneezed several times. On Sat morning I took him to my vet who referred me to a nearby clinic as he did not have the equipment to properly examine his nostril. On Monday the clinic staff removed a cattail fragment. I have attached a photo which is self explanatory. He is fine. We just returned from hunting where he was his old self.

Good on you for vet follow up.

You did exactly as you should have, Cheat-grass is the frequent culprit out here. Bird dogs encounter their share of "experiences;" we must ever be attentive to that. You did well.

Wow

That was Huge!! Yes those cat tails were tough on us too. My GSP came back with a rash all over his legs and belly - Vet thought it was some sort of allergic reaction - but put him on an antibacterial and it cleared up in a few days. He was cat tail fool Even got skunked in the middle of a patch...

wow. that's HUGE!!
Pup got a seed up her nose last year, and couldn't sneeze it out. She worked on that bugger for a few hours before we finally went to the vet. Such a tiny thing reeked havoc on her. I can't believe that monster you had up there.

Been there, that sucks getting vet bills, but glad he is OK for you, way to go getting him in.:thumbsup:

I had a Blue stem stalk last year go in Odie's paw and break off. It was just like a tooth pick size and hard.

Same thing with my 10 mo old lab pup Parker on 11/28 on the last field of the day. He must have sneezed 50 times before I got him back to the truck and headed home. I rinsed him out and examined him that night but couldn't find anything. The next day the vet examined him and prescribed antibiotics, some pain pills and to watch him closely. In a couple of days he was back to his normal puppyhood. Close call. It's been an expensive hunting season with 4 vet bills.

P.O.L.

Back