Elk recipe

moellermd

Super Moderator
Shot an elk a few weeks ago and looking for some recipe. Tried one in the crock pot but it got way dry. To hot and too long of cooking I am sure.

Elk is easy to cook Moe,

Back straps or any other cut of elk Tastes just like beef. I like mine med-rare to the rare side for stakes. Roasts just done, over cooked they get tough and dry. just cook it like any beef, you would buy. Inject it with garlic or cloves etc. I don't like crock pots, because it tends to over cook the meat. Only thing better than Elk is Moose IMHO.:cheers:

Here's what I do for roasts; neck, leg etc.

Preheat oven to 400
Season roast generously with what ever you like (I do salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin).
Roast in a turkey pan for 30 or 40 mins until browned uncovered.
Add a bottle of good beer to the pan and a little water.
Lower oven to 225, cover with lid and let it cook for 8 to 10hrs.
Remove roast, shred and enjoy the best tacos you've ever eaten (especially if you aren't from out west).:cheers:

I take my back straps out whole then cut into 3rds or 4ths depending on the size. Cook on the grill slowly with med heat or about 350. I like montreal steak spice. You may have to turn a bunch of times, but it is worth it. I would either cook the roasts really slow or start out really high heat and then knock it down. Either cover or baste. Venison is suppose to be more red and is done sooner then beef or you will have shoe leather.
IMG_6086_zps859e9fae.jpg

That photo makes me hungry. Great looking meat. :D

Moe, it depends on what elk you have. Cows are easy to make tasty, a calf is easier yet. Got a bull? especially a after rut bull? Grind it, season it, make some sausage, jerky.
Sorry jmac elk does not taste like beef, elk tastes like elk. :)

Anyway, cut up some steaks, loin, round, into 3/4 inch steaks. Throw them in a hot skillet. Brown both sides a bit. Then cover with water, yup! Let it simmer a hour or so until it evaporates into a nice looking gravy.
Spread the gravy over some nice mashed taters. NOT kidding, makes it better then beef.
Put whatever seasoning in you want, it's very good with salt and pepper.

In fact, no elk for me this year, I got Muley cooking this way now. Smells so good. I'm off for my supper.:cheers:

Moe, it depends on what elk you have. Cows are easy to make tasty, a calf is easier yet. Got a bull? especially a after rut bull? Grind it, season it, make some sausage, jerky.
:

I shot an after rut bull. I saved the loins but was going to have them save me some more roasts from the quarters. Is this a bad idea then?

Try my taco method on a roast moe, you'll love it. I've used it on big (ish) wild hogs, goat, lamb, deer etc... It'll eat good. Blue, that's how you cook back strap buddy. Nothing worse than over cooking a good cut of meat.:cheers:

I shot an after rut bull. I saved the loins but was going to have them save me some more roasts from the quarters. Is this a bad idea then?

You get some round steaks from the quarters as well, but I usually have my roast meat made into Burger! Experiment and see what you like and eat the most of. Then on your next one you know what you want.:thumbsup:

Moe, it's worth a try, save some roasts. If it turns out to be tough or a bit strong You can always thaw the roasts, make burger, sausage, taco meat, etc.
Usually those after rut bulls will be drawn down, thin, little or no fat, stringy tough meat. For sure some worse then others.

I've had rounds made into cube steak, that seems to work good.
Chicken fried steak. :thumbsup:

Sorry jmac elk does not taste like beef, elk tastes like elk. :)

Anyway, cut up some steaks, loin, round, into 3/4 inch steaks. Throw them in a hot skillet. Brown both sides a bit. Then cover with water, yup! Let it simmer a hour or so until it evaporates into a nice looking gravy.
Spread the gravy over some nice mashed taters. NOT kidding, makes it better then beef.
Put whatever seasoning in you want, it's very good with salt and pepper.

In fact, no elk for me this year, I got Muley cooking this way now. Smells so good. I'm off for my supper.:cheers:

Ok Wayne you must have better taste buds than me. Because I can't tell much difference.:cheers:

Moe, it's worth a try, save some roasts. If it turns out to be tough or a bit strong You can always thaw the roasts, make burger, sausage, taco meat, etc.
Usually those after rut bulls will be drawn down, thin, little or no fat, stringy tough meat. For sure some worse then others.

I've had rounds made into cube steak, that seems to work good.
Chicken fried steak. :thumbsup:

Yes thats why I would rather take a cow or calf, than an rut bull. Can't eat them horns and it's better table fare.:cheers:

Back